Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 30 Mar 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3226880)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Best Bang for your Buck Production car

2013 Nissan GT R35

9th fastest Nurburing lap time until Wickipedia deleted it. ()
0-60 mph in 2.7 secs
quarter mile in less then 11 secs
good mileage on highway speeds
545 HP

can have all that under 100k pounds or $170k, doubt anyone will find better package for that price.
Old 31 Mar 2013, 14:43 (Ref:3227243)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thing is though they make average drivers look better than what they are,too easy to drive quickly.
Old 1 Apr 2013, 00:28 (Ref:3227430)   #3
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
but hows that any different to other Supercars..
I agree that the cars are getting better, but that's the beauty of it right?
Old 2 Apr 2013, 12:27 (Ref:3227985)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Almost all supercars have a whole array of systems designed to protect the driver, but the GT-R takes it to a different level - rather than intervening when things start to go wrong, the GT-R's 4wd and stability systems actually control the way the car handles. Everything is fly by wire. It's like a Typhoon fighter for the road - without all those systems it'd probably be undriveable.

Talking of best bang for your buck for a road car, the GT-R is still a lot of money - far too much for most. In terms of the best bang per buck that is accessible both in terms of price and ability to actually use its performance on the road, I'd look at something like the latest RenaultSport Clio and Megane.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3227989)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, one of the guys at work has the renaultsport megane and being the son of an ex-rallyist he has tried very hard to get it to do something wrong. he hasn't succeeded yet. a year later, it's still here...

i'd also put forward any of audi's rs models. in my opinion they've got bmw well and truly schooled on the silly sensible car market.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3227997)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i'd also put forward any of audi's rs models. in my opinion they've got bmw well and truly schooled on the silly sensible car market.
Really?

I admit there's a large degree of personal preference in the BMW vs Audi debate, but that's a bold claim indeed.

The last really good Audi RS was the B7 RS4, one of the very few examples of Audi getting one of their cars to handle properly. The current/recent RS3 is little more than an expensive joke, the new RS4 has potential but uses a prehistoric engine (as does the RS5), and the current and previous RS6s are just fast barges (and AMG do that soooo much better).

On the flip side, I know so many M3 owners who've tried everything, including 911s, and simply can't find a car for less than really silly money they actually want. I wasn't a big fan of the previous V10 M5, but the current one is sublime - all the car you could ever possibly want or need. Same goes for the M6 in coupe form, but it is stupidly expensive.

The only RS Audi advantage I can think of is 4wd if you happen to live somewhere that needs it.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3228011)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've got an s3 and to be honest it's a lot more fun than either of my folks alpinas (and the m3 they had too). the 4wd thing - albeit a haldex selective system on the s3 - is surprisingly useful. i find the grip is just outrageous, i've done some incredible speeds on slip roads without noticing and it has definitely saved me from needing to get winter tyres this year. it has the 'got your back' feeling of a proper serious car without the 'and now i'm going to try and kill you' hot hatch lunatic thing.

don't get me wrong, seriously silly rwd cars are great but once you get the hang of the different beans application for fwd/4wd i just find it more satisfying.

then again like you say it's personal choice - i don't like feeling the edge of control and any form of disobedience unless it's in a very controlled situation. for me, bang for buck is a silly engine, a silly car, but as a road car, one that you can drive sensibly and comfortably but do silly speeds very quickly in banal situations like roundabouts, and overtaking situations.

plus i prefer the interior in the audis, the modern beemers feel a bit cheap once you take the fancy telly out of the equation. there isn't a better contrast between sporty and uberfunctional than audi out there, imo.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 13:30 (Ref:3228013)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
The S3 is a very good package, I'll grant you that.

But I'll beat you down any slip road in my 330d.

Unless it's wet - then I'll be the one facing the wrong way on the grass.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3228019)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
you probably would have me schooled to be honest. the s3's biggest limiting factor is how slow my gearchanges are my dartford toll strategy is first, third, sixth...

on the strength of the s3 i wouldn't hesitate to look seriously at any of the other rs or s model audis. if i had a reason to have an estate then i'd get the rs3 - people might scoff, but it's a very practical, small, incredibly well built car with good parts availability, decent space, and an absolutely nuclear stereo system if you get the sound upgrade

on that basis for me there's a lot of bang there for your buck - especially when you start comparing second hand prices to the sensible 2 litre diesel options people like to go for.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3228076)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Almost all supercars have a whole array of systems designed to protect the driver, but the GT-R takes it to a different level - rather than intervening when things start to go wrong, the GT-R's 4wd and stability systems actually control the way the car handles. Everything is fly by wire. It's like a Typhoon fighter for the road - without all those systems it'd probably be undriveable.

Talking of best bang for your buck for a road car, the GT-R is still a lot of money - far too much for most. In terms of the best bang per buck that is accessible both in terms of price and ability to actually use its performance on the road, I'd look at something like the latest RenaultSport Clio and Megane.

Agree,Megane=fastest fwd around Nurburgring and a joy to drive.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3325833)   #11
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Best bang for the buck? I'd say the C7 Corvette. Runs the ring close to a GT-R for a little over $50k.

Most speed for $30k? 2014 Mustang GT, 420 HP, 3,500lbs.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3325841)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Unfortunately US metal works out too expensive for us in the UK after import costs, exchange rates, the taxman and the importer have all had their slice. For similar money you can be in an even more powerful (and far more refined) AMG Merc.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3325848)   #13
Dragger
Racer

Quote:
Unfortunately US metal works out too expensive for us in the UK after import costs, exchange rates, the taxman and the importer have all had their slice. For similar money you can be in an even more powerful (and far more refined) AMG Merc.
That's unfortunate. It would just be cheaper to move to the U.S., COME TO THE DARKSIDE! Muahaha!
Old 1 Nov 2013, 10:10 (Ref:3325850)   #14
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Old 1 Nov 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3325867)   #15
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Is the "bang" the fact that it's been reversed into the Focus (?) behind?
Old 4 Nov 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3326972)   #16
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Is the "bang" the fact that it's been reversed into the Focus (?) behind?

nope the sound it makes when you start it up. lalalalalalaa !
Old 4 Nov 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3327045)   #17
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WhaddaboutaScooby?

I'm tempted to throw in a vote for the Subaru WRX STI - not exactly in a class with the Nissan GT-R or C7 Corvette, but bang for the buck? Definitely.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 02:53 (Ref:3327354)   #18
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My mate came up with an idea the other day. Take the Veloster drivetrain, drop it in a Hyundai i30 hatch, addd decent wheels, tyres, supsension and brakes. Voila! Instant hot hatch and would be very affordable too, pity Hyundai won't make it.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 03:15 (Ref:3327358)   #19
Dragger
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
My mate came up with an idea the other day. Take the Veloster drivetrain, drop it in a Hyundai i30 hatch, addd decent wheels, tyres, supsension and brakes. Voila! Instant hot hatch and would be very affordable too, pity Hyundai won't make it.
Hyundai won't even take their V8 from their Genesis sedan...

.... and put it in their Genesis SPORTSCAR!!!!!! WTF HYUNDAI?!?!?! That's like Ferrari not offering red. They build a 400 horse power V8, they build a two door rear-wheel drive sports car, but they don't put them together.

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 7 Nov 2013, 03:06 (Ref:3328301)   #20
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragger View Post
Hyundai won't even take their V8 from their Genesis sedan...

.... and put it in their Genesis SPORTSCAR!!!!!! WTF HYUNDAI?!?!?! That's like Ferrari not offering red. They build a 400 horse power V8, they build a two door rear-wheel drive sports car, but they don't put them together.

Talked with someone from Hyundai about this very thing at the Toronto Autoshow this year. Something about how they couldn't make the V8 fit in the coupe.

FWIW I agree with you. I love the Genesis coupe and it would be a monster if that 8 could be shoehorned into it... I think.
Old 8 Nov 2013, 04:29 (Ref:3328756)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
After having sat in one I honestly believe the C7 is as good as a 911 at any price. Hand on my heart. I'd like to see what your reaction is if you get a chance to look at one. Probably still a little flashy overseas though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
I'm tempted to throw in a vote for the Subaru WRX STI - not exactly in a class with the Nissan GT-R or C7 Corvette, but bang for the buck? Definitely.
If you mean the previous generation, I'm with you.
Old 8 Nov 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3328880)   #22
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Not looked at a C7 yet - our local US importer will hopefully have one soon. It'd still need to be a big improvement over the C6 to compete with a 911 on refinement and quality of cabin materials. I am a bit of a Corvette fan though ... just a shame that the few available over here are so expensive and left hand drive.
Old 8 Nov 2013, 12:06 (Ref:3328888)   #23
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
A decently driven M3 will muller all the Audi RS models unless its very wet.
Old 8 Nov 2013, 13:58 (Ref:3328933)   #24
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I'd also rule out any of Audi's RS models on the basis of price.

They are stupidly powerful, but they are now also stupidly expensive for a fast photocopier salesman's car with no suspension.
Old 8 Nov 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3328987)   #25
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
If you mean the previous generation, I'm with you.
Er... yes, I think so (is the current one a bit neutered by comparison)? I remember these as being stupidly quick for not a lot of money.

The Lancer Evo might be another option although I believe a tad pricier than the Scooby.