Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 May 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3906494)   #26
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Her car. Her money. Her choice.

Has she ever actually caused an accident? I don't think so, she obeys blue flags and just pootles round enjoying herself. Which is fair enough.

And we pay to go in because we get to see a whole days worth of racing for a modest outlay. One slower car in one race is hardly going to ruin that. Unless you are easily wound up and love a moan of course. Not that anyone here matches that description...

It's a historic series. It is for drivers of old F1 cars to bring them out, have a race and show them off. They are the ones paying thousands a year to keep them going. Is it not a touch entitled to not only expect them to do that but also tell them to go a bit quicker...?
Old 28 May 2019, 12:08 (Ref:3906503)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250 View Post
Her car. Her money. Her choice.

Has she ever actually caused an accident? I don't think so, she obeys blue flags and just pootles round enjoying herself. Which is fair enough.
Exactly.

Quote:
And we pay to go in because we get to see a whole days worth of racing for a modest outlay. One slower car in one race is hardly going to ruin that. Unless you are easily wound up and love a moan of course. Not that anyone here matches that description...
*looks around....* Nope nobody worth mentioning anyway.

Quote:
It's a historic series. It is for drivers of old F1 cars to bring them out, have a race and show them off. They are the ones paying thousands a year to keep them going.
And that's the point, nobody pays them to race them, so who cares how quick they go?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 28 May 2019 at 12:18. Reason: Tidying up.
Old 28 May 2019, 12:13 (Ref:3906507)   #28
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I like to see old cars driven properly, this happens rarely in top level historic events for the whole field. It does happen, but I have often been disappointed in various displays I have seen, not all again, but in comparison with other motorsport, there is a tendency in historics to allow very slow driver to be out there, something I cannot stand for my sins.
Yes I know and understand why.
That car is being driven around like a shopping car. It adds NOTHING, it is only there because the family are heavily involved and for some reason they or she either demand she races or she somehow thinks it is worthwhile doing it.
As others have said, fair enough allow it to be driven in demo's etc, but not in a race.
it demeans the whole series, makes it look like a mockery. This is an FIA championship for goodness sake.
But as is usually the case, people like me get shot down because we should all be delighted these cars are still able to be driven and we get to fawn over them like little school boys.
Have a word people, you are PAYING to get in for this, these are insanely rich people with money to burn, so much so a perfectly decent F1 car is driven around like this and we are all supposed to clap and be thankful.
And people wonder why fans turn their noses up at this sort of series.

What an ill conceived rant. Too many statements to take issue with all but must take issue with the 'we are all supposed to clap and be thankful ' bit. Who the hell has said that on here? I think you have some deep seated hatred of those who have more than you. This is a forum for all views but statements such as that do nothing to help your argument. I know you are a long term frequent contributor here (and mostly well reasoned) but I can't understand this rant. You don't have to clap or fawn if you don't want to. Appreciate that which you like and ignore the bits you don't.
Judy Lyons is a courteous driver, obeys the blue flags and keeps well clear of those going past. Her presence puts one more car on the grid and I applaud her for doing so.
Old 28 May 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3906521)   #29
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This whole topic reminds of when I go karting.You have people who are very quick,do it regularly and you have some who are do karting for the first time.As a result you have massive differences in speed that means it can be borderline dangerous for the both sets of people.Obviously this is completely different to F1 but the same basics are still in it.

Personally if it was that much of a problem something would have been done about it.Its not a problem until something happens that makes it change.
Old 29 May 2019, 00:02 (Ref:3906625)   #30
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the drivers in the series take the attitude that they know Judy is out there however I still think the speed differential is very frightening. There was an incident many years ago when an unfortunate Osella driver in Portugal tripped over her. She's a pleasant lady but I find it hard to understand what she gets from participating in those races.