Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

View Poll Results: Which cars max 3.5litres
Sportscars 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Sportscars Up to 1985 0 0%
GT 1968 - 1985 0 0%
GT Up to 1985 0 0%
Saloons 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Saloons Up to 1985 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Jun 2009, 13:04 (Ref:2493275)   #276
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cool. This is what the old SUNBAC meeting used to be.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2493293)   #277
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
have you not got this race in the Birkett?
Old 29 Jun 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2493297)   #278
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Birketts a relay, this is meant to be an endurance race. More like Britcar, I suppose, but for older cars.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:00 (Ref:2493309)   #279
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the birkett you could run as many (or few) cars as you wish. For what its worth I think you will have to be more focused on what is eligible as a "race what ya brung" 68-85 will end up with a scrappy grid.
What was the eligibility of Willhire as this seems to be the nearest historical race as I see it?
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2493314)   #280
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
hmmm I cannot see agreement on this, so I'd better duck out for now; a bit of work then off to Spa on Thursday anyway :-)
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:11 (Ref:2493315)   #281
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Simon scrappy grid or not i don't care this is going to be the "alternative 6 hour"
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2493322)   #282
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=simon drabble;2493309 For what its worth I think you will have to be more focused on what is eligible as a "race what ya brung" 68-85 will end up with a scrappy grid. [/QUOTE]

Define "scrappy". Do you mean varied? Le Mans has a pretty varied (or is it scrappy?) grid, and always has had.

This concept is deliberately aimed at attracting as wide a participation as possible, within reasonable limits, so that mainstream competitors are not frightened off by a few "hot rods". We can't all race E-Types, Chevron B8s, ex Works Alfa GTAs etc. etc. but that doesn't mean we don't want to enjoy the challenge of a 6 hour race.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:45 (Ref:2493339)   #283
simon drabble
Veteran

I think you are missing the point - I am saying you need a coherent theme linking the cars - the Willhire was pretty much club level and the "Britcar" of its day. That is why I asked what the regs were to that.
If you are a 1968 MGBGT or even a Cortina Mk2 in fairly standard form do you want to be racing with a full all out Porsche Open 911? Equally the amount of prep required to make a car last 6 hours (and run 2 hours between fuel stops) already puts it to the upper end of club...
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2493348)   #284
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I think you are missing the point - I am saying you need a coherent theme linking the cars - the Willhire was pretty much club level and the "Britcar" of its day. That is why I asked what the regs were to that.
If you are a 1968 MGBGT or even a Cortina Mk2 in fairly standard form do you want to be racing with a full all out Porsche Open 911? Equally the amount of prep required to make a car last 6 hours (and run 2 hours between fuel stops) already puts it to the upper end of club...

Simon, I agree that the standard of prep required will be pretty high in order to last but I don't see many Porsche Open cars racing as not that many of those will be pre 85, and turbos probably won't be allowed. It is also probable that standard shape bodyshells will be required (although alternative materials may yet be allowed), along with original engine type and induction system to ensure that no bubble arched, be-winged monsters frighten everyone else off.

The regs and eligibility are not finalised yet but this is all contributing to the thought process, I'm sure.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2493363)   #285
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh, now I see that I'm not eligible not only because my car is over 3.5litres its also too young!!

Somewhat disapointed in the direction this is going.

If you go back to the first page of the thread you will see that both Podd and myself were looking at a way of having and enduro style event not necessarily an alternative 6 hour (yes I know that is the thread title!!). We discussed the possibility of splitting the race into two 3hour segments in order to allow running repairs etc and also to enable other races to take place in between the segments to help pay the way for the meeting.

Not everyone wants to have a shared drive, I don't like the idea of anyone driving my car and I'm not keen on driving anyone elses and hence I would rather do the race(s) by myself.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 29 Jun 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2493364)   #286
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Willhire was prod saloons.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2493396)   #287
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Seems there's already an endurance for Sports and GT cars so it may be just as well to stick with saloons?

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116771
Old 29 Jun 2009, 16:20 (Ref:2493415)   #288
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know it makes sense.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2493436)   #289
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Seems there's already an endurance for Sports and GT cars so it may be just as well to stick with saloons?

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116771
And, here!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115476

More exciting times for historic racing ahead. Enjoy it while we can!
Old 29 Jun 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2493439)   #290
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes but the second one is sports prototypes surely?

Anyway in the car type etc. poll the current majority favour sports/gt/saloons mixed.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116757
Old 29 Jun 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2493450)   #291
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes but the second one is sports prototypes surely?

Anyway in the car type etc. poll the current majority favour sports/gt/saloons mixed.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116757
Nope, see my review of the 3 hours. However, I was merely defending the approach by some for a preference for saloons, as we now have two enduros for sports and GTs. I look forward to seeing developments.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2493454)   #292
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Chevrons and merlyns etc?

But yes there's certainly more openings for sports cars.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2493560)   #293
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought there is more than enough in the way of Roadsport type events through-out the UK,just about every Organizer has some series or other.I think its a perfect opportunity to offer the Saloon boys a chance.[And I dont own one,so I cannot be accused of having my own interest's in mind!]
Old 30 Jun 2009, 02:52 (Ref:2493650)   #294
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Personally I think the only real criteria for this event is bums in seats. Although an upper capacity limit may encourage more of the budget end cars (smaller engine = lower costs). Ultimately it would be up to any organiser to decide the regs.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2493686)   #295
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I would have thought there is more than enough in the way of Roadsport type events through-out the UK,just about every Organizer has some series or other.I think its a perfect opportunity to offer the Saloon boys a chance.[And I dont own one,so I cannot be accused of having my own interest's in mind!]
seconded... replicate the spirit of the Willhire
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2493692)   #296
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
seconded... replicate the spirit of the Willhire
Yup, and of course the first one included at least one MGB GT.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2493696)   #297
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
And also a roadster,a friend has owned and raced it since it was last used in the Willhire in 88,its still in the same colour scheme as well!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:24 (Ref:2493703)   #298
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
The Willhire was prod saloons.
I presume MG's are so versatile that they are prod saloons as well.....!!!
I am too young to really remember but family friends who were very involved with the Willhire tell me it was a great "clubman's" race
Although outside of my normal racing car period I would consider running a car for this - an Alfa 2000 GTV seems to be the perfect tool - cheap, reliable and in 2000 litre form if they are not too badly penalized on the weight could be quite a competitive car. I presume Yoki's would be allowed given the eligible years?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:29 (Ref:2493707)   #299
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ah, I'll say it before anyone else - a 'B' appears in the thread! In fact, there were several in the Austosport 3 hours event which is why I said 'no' to just sports prototypes in that race; it was an eclectic mix. However, I agree that a 'Willhire' style grid would be appropriate, and as you say it's a numbers game - clearly it needs to attract sufficient numbers to make it viable.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:34 (Ref:2493713)   #300
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes John,they crop up everywhere! Simon,Yoko's are in list 1B so they are eligible.
There were even Skodas grinding around,with some amazing results,one car did the whole event[89,I think] on one set of brake pads and no other maintenance!

Tags
alternative 6hrs, classic cars, cscc, ctcrc, mgcc bcv8