Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

View Poll Results: Which cars max 3.5litres
Sportscars 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Sportscars Up to 1985 0 0%
GT 1968 - 1985 0 0%
GT Up to 1985 0 0%
Saloons 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Saloons Up to 1985 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Jun 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2489039)   #101
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The 10-Tenths 6 Hour Race"???
Old 23 Jun 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2489044)   #102
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Something that also needs to be considered is fuel tanks. Most cars running 40 or 50 minute races (assuming that's what this would be catering for) will need to increase tankage for endurance. Tanks will need to comply with FIA requirements in terms of foam filling etc. Would the cost of that (it doesn't mean bag tanks or anything that exotic) put people off?

Personally I can think of a few cars that I'd love to run in a 6hrs race so if there was an opportunity it could inspire me to build a new car.

So with only 12months to go,do you think you should get started?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2489045)   #103
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Has a certain ring to it, but the owners would need to agree.

Terry,

You never know.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2489142)   #104
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've voted for Snet; it has hosted longer races and JP is also in the process of upgrading it. It would make a change from Silverstone and from a spectator's point of view provides better and closer viewing without all the high fencing. Also, and this is much more personal, it's closer!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2489174)   #105
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But its flat!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 17:11 (Ref:2489176)   #106
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Look you lot ,this is a brilliant idea and i think the next step is sort out a comitee thats the only way then thash out what cars where and when.Once sorted then its money where your mouth is drivers stump up a deposite then we can talk to circuits,organisers ect. What about get together at BBQ at the Classic.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 17:17 (Ref:2489184)   #107
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
True but it has facilities. Racing around a field on top of a cliff in Wales with no pits, no bar (at least not on the website) no decent local restaurants etc. is no alternative.

Whilst we are talking about this fictitious event. A thought occurs. People do realise that to compete in a 6 hour race, there needs to be reliability throughout the grid and while it cannot be guaranteed, we aren't going to turn up with the engine and gearbox etc. that was in the car for the ten minute thrash two weeks ago. Otherwise there'll only be about two cars left after the first hour and from my experience at least one of them will stop at the third!

Which is essentially why the Spa 6hrs cars rarely see the light of day in other events, and if they do the mechanicals are totally different.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 17:20 (Ref:2489186)   #108
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Look you lot ,this is a brilliant idea and i think the next step is sort out a comitee thats the only way then thash out what cars where and when.Once sorted then its money where your mouth is drivers stump up a deposite then we can talk to circuits,organisers ect. What about get together at BBQ at the Classic.
I would suggest that along with me, the majority of the posters in this thread don't have cars eligible for the classic. In my case I won't be there anyway due to geography.

And committees never got anything done, look at our government.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2489263)   #109
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Peter,that is not necessarily so,I know youll not belive this but my car has done two full seasons of clubbies,a two hour at Brands then a two hour HSCC at Spa,oh and it had done three six hours at Spa! All this on regular oil/filtre etc.Apart from that poxy,unforseen alternater bracket,it would have finished last year,that was a fresh engine btw.I understand what you mean,but if these engines etc are built properly,they should last two/three seasons quite easily.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2489269)   #110
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
There's always an exception to prove the rule.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2489294)   #111
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to sound a bit stern, but this thread could ramble on for ages with no positive outcome. What we need is someone to decide that they're going to make it happen. That's what Iain and I did with Historic FF2000, and we haven't looked back. Three years ago, and I'd have been up for organising a clubbie "Six Heures" (in return for a drive, of course!), but HFF2K is a demanding mistress, and I haven't got the time.

The organisational side of things shouldn't be too difficult, the key to getting something like this off the ground is cashflow...

Who's up for it?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2489301)   #112
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of us have been at work this afternoon, only to check in and find no progress has been made. C'mon..where's the draft regs?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2489314)   #113
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
So its being left for someone else to start? We have to make some decissions first,like what period do we cater for,what tyres,capacity limit?
All well and good saying "Yes I'll do the event " BUT!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2489319)   #114
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
So its being left for someone else to start? We have to make some decissions first,like what period do we cater for,what tyres,capacity limit?
Er, yes.

Actually, hang on for a minute, another glass of wine and I'll have all the answers
Old 23 Jun 2009, 20:32 (Ref:2489324)   #115
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
refer back to the OP - CSCC/FISC sort of spec (which incidentally does allow ally or GRP panels, and aeroscreens instead of full windscreens, and list 1B tyres.
I'm thinking 1966 to around mid-eighties i.e. the antidote to App K :-)
and would a limit of 4 litres work?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2489327)   #116
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Another glass? I am letting the second bottle breath
Old 23 Jun 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2489329)   #117
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Quote:
Another glass? I am letting the second bottle breath
hope it's a decent bottle...
Old 23 Jun 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2489330)   #118
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
refer back to the OP - CSCC/FISC sort of spec (which incidentally does allow ally or GRP panels, and aeroscreens instead of full windscreens, and list 1B tyres.
I'm thinking 1966 to around mid-eighties i.e. the antidote to App K :-)
and would a limit of 4 litres work?
4 would keep most V8s out,not a bad place to start.

I'll just wait for the incoming.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 20:38 (Ref:2489331)   #119
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sweeney View Post
hope it's a decent bottle...

Shato nerf doo pap.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 20:59 (Ref:2489348)   #120
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Quote:
Shato nerf doo pap.
Oh...good luck

So, the ill-catered for post '65 period sounds good, which is sort of working for VdeV incidentally. If it caters up to about '83 that would neatly include the Grp 1 field and exclude the M3/Sierra lot. Sub 4 ltr also means we can bring some SD1/Capris along too

So far all seem to like treaded tyres, common sense for cost reasons.

I'd like a handicap/performance balancing system to make the racing worthwhile - for both cars and drivers.

Refuelling will take some working out as for sure there'll be many cars with only a red bull fizzy drink sized tank. Perhaps limit the size of tank allowed, making faster cars run smaller cells (displacement balls) and thus have to drive slower or refuel very often?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2489350)   #121
Steve Gibson
Racer

Steve Gibson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
26th & 27th September DDMC @ Croft a big hole in our timetable due to someone pulling out of the meeting.
Pit garages big Marquee and end of season BBQ on Sat night, plenty of local eating and drinking places near to the track and a friendly bunch organising it.
We could give you about 2 hours of tracktime each day.
Interested?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 21:26 (Ref:2489374)   #122
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Same weekend as Spa 6 hr, which I'm planning a busman's holiday trip to..hopefully canvassing for the 2010 UK event!

Maybe it would be worth contacting some of the car clubs with the chance to run an invitation type race?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 23:15 (Ref:2489447)   #123
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
....I'm ......free!
you sure you're not John Inman rather than Johngee?

Right, so we have the poll about where ...but, realistically, money unfortunately , makes the world go round...just out of interest...
Peter,

Could you do another pole?, lets say, that somewhere in the region of a 1.5 to 2k stump up per entry, and, after all the xxx's have been paid (including Terry's sandwich bill if he is gonna do safety car ) we could with what money is left over (please let there be some!!!)...return it, and run it purely at cost for pleasure therefore no one making money out of it at all...as mentioned above...Johngee is free
I am making it very simple I know, and as we all know, there is quite a lot to put this together , may need someone/group to bank roll it (did I tell you I worked in the city!! whoopsss) and its far too late in the season to make it happen this year I think but, a good meeting is well planned and if there is enough take up ...who knows!....
Old 23 Jun 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2489450)   #124
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
SC? I want to be racing in this one!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 23:20 (Ref:2489451)   #125
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
SC? I want to be racing in this one!

lol I know!!! ...thought that would get ya

Tags
alternative 6hrs, classic cars, cscc, ctcrc, mgcc bcv8