Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Sep 2019, 18:20 (Ref:3929475)   #276
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
After snow in May for WEC and 19 hours of rain for the 24H in July, the Ardennes weather gods decided to give me unexpected mild sunburn today courtesy of an unseasonally warm ELMS weekend. I love Spa 😂
Old 22 Sep 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3929485)   #277
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The 3 teams were disqualified for not using the correct length of screws to secure the crash box. How does that happen? and what does it matter on the length of the screws as long as the part is secure?
I don't know how it happens but it doesn't matter whether it's actually secure or not if the method differs from what the rules say... rules on both performance and safety. Few years ago, the out-of-date fire extinguisher might have actually worked on the disqualified Larbre Corvette too, but it was still against the regulations.

Regulations should the ultimate law, as in the real court, and not some hollow guideline brochure you can break or modify any time you want like the GTE waiver "rulebook" or NASCAR/Indycar whatever-goes-policing, so I'm glad they're enforcing it with strictest sense.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 20:07 (Ref:3929511)   #278
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The 3 teams were disqualified for not using the correct length of screws to secure the crash box. How does that happen? and what does it matter on the length of the screws as long as the part is secure?
Does the length of the screw effects the load and forces that can go through it? Would shorter screws shear easier?
Old 23 Sep 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3929645)   #279
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh I completely forgot about this but there actually was one true non-spec prototype at Spa over the weekend. Even though it only did some meaningless practice runs it's good to see it going
https://youtu.be/Y-YgaPHB0_8

In FP1 it was some 7,1 seconds slower than slowest running GT3 and in FP2 around 6,6. Maximum straight line speed was 24kmh slower than slowest conventional LMP3

So there's way to go...

Last edited by Deleted; 23 Sep 2019 at 11:30.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3929743)   #280
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Oh I completely forgot about this but there actually was one true non-spec prototype at Spa over the weekend. Even though it only did some meaningless practice runs it's good to see it going
https://youtu.be/Y-YgaPHB0_8

In FP1 it was some 7,1 seconds slower than slowest running GT3 and in FP2 around 6,6. Maximum straight line speed was 24kmh slower than slowest conventional LMP3

So there's way to go...
Hydrogen has a lot left I feel. It'll definitely take some work to up the power it produces and packaging as well.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3929746)   #281
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Hydrogen has a lot left I feel. It'll definitely take some work to up the power it produces and packaging as well.
I agree and I find it quite fascinating. Can't wait for the useless 'Hypercar' to be over and done already and 2024-2025 to be here. At least they should have time to get the technology to the pace of LMP2 ish by that time frame, I reckon. Reliability not so sure but endurance racing is called endurance for a reason. If the likes of Audi come along with G56 that will accelerate the evolution process much faster as well, much faster than with some modified ADESS anyway
Old 23 Sep 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3929765)   #282
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
After snow in May for WEC and 19 hours of rain for the 24H in July, the Ardennes weather gods decided to give me unexpected mild sunburn today courtesy of an unseasonally warm ELMS weekend. I love Spa ��
Instead of a rain jacket I too should have brought a bottle of sun cream, and a cap.
Nevertheless, we had a very good weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilClayton61 View Post
Add in the accessibility of the teams/drivers when you attend the race in person, this helps make it an attractive spectator package, for me and my partner at least.
I appreciated that too, and so did my brother and his kids.
The pit walk and the grid walk were a great introduction to the cars for them. They don't normally watch this kind of racing but were very impressed by it.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 00:11 (Ref:3929804)   #283
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I agree and I find it quite fascinating. Can't wait for the useless 'Hypercar' to be over and done already and 2024-2025 to be here. At least they should have time to get the technology to the pace of LMP2 ish by that time frame, I reckon. Reliability not so sure but endurance racing is called endurance for a reason. If the likes of Audi come along with G56 that will accelerate the evolution process much faster as well, much faster than with some modified ADESS anyway
I can't see why they can't balance hydrogen with the other fuels/drivetrains. The good thing is that they only need to get close and then the BoP will do the rest.
Old 25 Sep 2019, 19:28 (Ref:3930107)   #284
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I can't see why they can't balance hydrogen with the other fuels/drivetrains. The good thing is that they only need to get close and then the BoP will do the rest.
You're evil.
Old 26 Sep 2019, 02:57 (Ref:3930163)   #285
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 26 Sep 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3930233)   #286
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Does the length of the screw effects the load and forces that can go through it? Would shorter screws shear easier?

Don't know the exact reasoning, but some teams used longer screws and some shorter. It seems reasonable that a screw that is too short could come loose easier, but that wasn't mentioned.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3933267)   #287
Deleted
Veteran

So because the ELMS P2s won't be artificially slowed until the 2021 season, you know for the reasons of convenience, next year at Silverstone their P2s might actually be faster than the top hyperwagons in WEC race? Not to mention make WEC P2s look like P3s right
Old 12 Oct 2019, 20:47 (Ref:3933582)   #288
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
So because the ELMS P2s won't be artificially slowed until the 2021 season, you know for the reasons of convenience, next year at Silverstone their P2s might actually be faster than the top hyperwagons in WEC race? Not to mention make WEC P2s look like P3s right
ACO way of living: "Follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, stop caring about what others think."

There is the chance of the tires making the difference in favor of the hyperwagons. Do not fear failure but rather fear not trying .
Old 12 Oct 2019, 21:20 (Ref:3933595)   #289
Deleted
Veteran

But aren't they all now supposed to be running boring spec tires in this brave new world. And if we know anything about identical spec tires, it's that it brings a lot more marketing speeches to the game, but very little actual incentive for the tire company to develop better tires and therefore increase overall performance levels. Super GT it is not

Anyway, I actually like the "stop caring about what others think" ideology, too bad it's not really the agenda that's actually been pushed
Old 13 Oct 2019, 18:33 (Ref:3934134)   #290
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
But aren't they all now supposed to be running boring spec tires in this brave new world.
I still hope Michelin or Dunlop/Goodyear can offer something better than the LMP2 compound the Hypercar runners. 30 million euro budget to run on commercial tires seems pretty offensive to me.

There is also the chance of ACO slowing down the LMP2s in ELMS and WEC with a harder LMP2 tire compound. Blaming the tire manufacturer is always a good policy.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 00:15 (Ref:3934481)   #291
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Michelin worked to get the p2 tires up to par for imsa dpi. It wasn't just slap the existing compound on a car it fits. Michelin would still work with teams to make sure the tire works at what it's tasked with.

I don't know how Dunlop/Goodyear engineers would approach hypercar. The switch from Dunlop to gy was due to name recognition in various markets, but I never got the impression Dunlop rested on whatever was for sale. Who knows if the same will happen should they win the top class.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3934629)   #292
Deleted
Veteran

DPis are same old P2s with different engines and few added body bits, it doesn't take rocket science to make spec tires work for them. Or to make the old Hoosier-Conties look terrible, those really were the definition of lazy, anything looks like a massive technology leap in comparison to those

It was different for Michelin when the P1 factory competition was full on, yeah there weren't other manufacturers (not by design ofc) but they catered each mfg and hence the arms raced continued on, as it should. Plus anyone could've joined in of course. Dunlop did test the waters few years ago with the nonhybrids
Old 15 Oct 2019, 17:11 (Ref:3934723)   #293
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Not defending dpi as a super unique class, just a small example of a current WEC tire manufacturer working on a compound to make it work in a different environment. Early tests revealed some compound work to be done that couldn't be solved by different pressures and suspension set up. Not revolutionary changes, but enough to see that particular tire manufacturer put their thinking cap on.

Elms though..
Old 16 Oct 2019, 00:28 (Ref:3934818)   #294
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
But aren't they all now supposed to be running boring spec tires in this brave new world. And if we know anything about identical spec tires, it's that it brings a lot more marketing speeches to the game, but very little actual incentive for the tire company to develop better tires and therefore increase overall performance levels. Super GT it is not

Anyway, I actually like the "stop caring about what others think" ideology, too bad it's not really the agenda that's actually been pushed
Wow, complete and utter disgrace that that type of dismissal of engineer's work shows you are not and have never been a fan of racing. That might be the most condescending and judgemental pile of excrement you've ever posted on here. I hope you have the actual balls to say that to someone working on tire development in person or if you're only a ****-ant little keyboard warrior. Thankfully you aren't involved in any of the decisions with the ACO/IMSA/Michelin/Goodyear or any teams
Old 18 Oct 2019, 16:59 (Ref:3935476)   #295
Deleted
Veteran

The hydrogen ADESS will return for Portimao FP sessions, be interesting to see if it can close the gap (to GT3)
https://www.lemans.org/en/news/missi...portimao/52906
Old 18 Oct 2019, 20:54 (Ref:3935510)   #296
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
The hydrogen ADESS will return for Portimao FP sessions, be interesting to see if it can close the gap (to GT3)
https://www.lemans.org/en/news/missi...portimao/52906
The ADESS part condemns the future success of the car from the start. Better call it from the PR man, whatever it is.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3935517)   #297
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
The ADESS part condemns the future success of the car from the start. Better call it from the PR man, whatever it is.
The "Lotus" LMP2 chassis which was partly built by ADESS and that wasn't too bad... and the LMP3 EVO might be okay we don't know yet... anyway this thing is run in conjunction with the ACO and there's years and years until this sort of things replaces Hyperwagons
Old 19 Oct 2019, 16:53 (Ref:3935654)   #298
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
The "Lotus LMP2" was very much a Colin Kolles effort.
Old 24 Oct 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3936567)   #299
Deleted
Veteran

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/1...e-decider.html

Three of the four LMP3 EVOs will test at Portimao next week; Onroak, ADESS and Norma. Ginetta will do it privately at UK it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
The "Lotus LMP2" was very much a Colin Kolles effort.
But the chassis still had handprint of ADESS

And knowing the questionable history of Kolles operations, that chassis having done as (comparatively) well as it did speaks volume that ADESS isn't that bad of a constructor
Old 26 Oct 2019, 15:16 (Ref:3936893)   #300
Deleted
Veteran

Hmh curious, on the Alkamel PDFs, can't actually see how the hydrogen car lapped in the FPs... there were two of those ADESS at the circuit in fact, although the secod one was just for display

Anyway, DSC reports of the P3 speed upgrades
One informed observer told DSC that the Ligier JSP320 which ran at Silverstone as part of the two-day test for the Autosport Young Driver Of The Year Award programme, was able to lap the UK circuit (on Pirelli tyres) three and a half seconds quicker than this year’s LMP3 pole time (so around a 1:50). It is not known who set the time, or whether the car being run to regulation-spec.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/1...notes-2-2.html

Note, 3,5 half seconds in mere testing with most likely crappy Pirellis... by 2021, when the ELMS spec Orecas have been slowed down, they might be pretty damn close

Finally, there is a Kia Picanto support series at Portimao, which isn't quite as amazing as the 'legendary' old Ford Transit Trophy of yesteryear at this very circuit, but it's still funny

I guess there is also the ELMS race this weekend