Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jun 2007, 05:37 (Ref:1942248)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New Tyre Supplier?

Has anyone heard anything about the tyre war between Goodyear/Dunlop, Yokohama and Pirelli? The last thing I heard was that the Itlian tyre maker (Pirelli) was going to be the new supplier. GTR, anything from your part of the Powder Room?
Old 20 Jun 2007, 06:07 (Ref:1942256)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pirelli is certainly getting the bulk of the positive news stories in the media but I dont know if thats a function of technical/financial superiority or a better marketing job....

That Pirelli in itself is not a major player in Australia may be seen as significant, regarding the amount of marketing funds available to support the technical supply arrangement, as required by the agreement.

Its interesting that in none of the news discussions has anyone asked a team owner whether they would like or dislike a change in tyre provider... from a technical aspect and all the tricky bits that need to change when a tyre's heat cycling/durability/performance etc is in a totally new window....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Jun 2007, 07:24 (Ref:1942285)   #3
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

Its interesting that in none of the news discussions has anyone asked a team owner whether they would like or dislike a change in tyre provider... from a technical aspect and all the tricky bits that need to change when a tyre's heat cycling/durability/performance etc is in a totally new window....
Is Brad Jones not the owner of BJR?
He went on record at EC saying that the current tire is good but a change in supplier might mix the field up - for a few races anyway.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 10:10 (Ref:1942380)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft
Is Brad Jones not the owner of BJR?
He went on record at EC saying that the current tire is good but a change in supplier might mix the field up - for a few races anyway.
A change of compound/construction would do the same thing... and you would keep the incumbent....

But one comment out of what 16 or 17 franchise licence slot owners.. isnt conclusive evidence of support
Old 20 Jun 2007, 11:05 (Ref:1942424)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think Neil mentioned it somewhere on 7 or Panel Beaters that Pirreli are looming as favourites, they arn't a mager player in Aus and they just left WRC so maybe looking for a replacement on the Motorsport supplying side.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1942458)   #6
crYnOid
Rookie

crYnOid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
i think Neil mentioned it somewhere on 7 or Panel Beaters that Pirreli are looming as favourites, they arn't a mager player in Aus and they just left WRC so maybe looking for a replacement on the Motorsport supplying side.
Pirelli have won the contract as the exclusive manufacturer to supply tyres to the WRC from 2008 (?). Michelin are ****ed.....
Old 20 Jun 2007, 13:59 (Ref:1942542)   #7
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pirelli may not be up there with Bridgestone, Dunlop and Goodyear, but they do have a performance niche market.

The top three, as Holden and Toyota do in the car meket, receive alot of fleet sales. I know alot of performance car owners that prefer Pirelli and GT Radials over the top three, with upper end 'Stones being the other option (G-Grid's normally or Potenza G3's).

Just personal observations - in saying that, living in a coastal area, softer, wet-weather tyres seem to be the go around here.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 15:06 (Ref:1942588)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by crYnOid
Pirelli have won the contract as the exclusive manufacturer to supply tyres to the WRC from 2008 (?). Michelin are ****ed.....
sorry my mistake.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 23:25 (Ref:1942996)   #9
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be kind of cool to have Pirelli supply the tyres. Don't ask me why, they don't make tyres to suit my car!

I don't know why they'd consult team owners about a new tyre - they didn't for the control brakes. TEGA are meant to represent team owners anyway.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 01:54 (Ref:1943026)   #10
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A mate of mine made the switch from Dunlop to Pirelli on his Falcon recently and it has made a world of difference. Not only has the grip factor increased, but has found that the tyre isn't as spongy on corners like the Dunlop was.

A damn site better construction too is the Pirelli, and if that is across the range including there race tyres, it may well mix the pack up a little more and throw a few drivers off there usual style.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 02:48 (Ref:1943033)   #11
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So when is the date for the annoucement for the winning bid.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 21 Jun 2007, 02:58 (Ref:1943034)   #12
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully they might go the F1 route and have 3 or 4 different compounds to cover the various circuits instead of having one tire for all the circuits as they do now. And allow the teams to pick the compound thats suits them.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 03:01 (Ref:1943036)   #13
greenracer
Racer

Australia
greenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgreenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
A mate of mine made the switch from Dunlop to Pirelli on his Falcon recently and it has made a world of difference. Not only has the grip factor increased, but has found that the tyre isn't as spongy on corners like the Dunlop was.

A damn site better construction too is the Pirelli, and if that is across the range including there race tyres, it may well mix the pack up a little more and throw a few drivers off there usual style.
we have run dunlop for years I thought time for a change maybe rang Pirelli no tyre under 16 inch. {slicks}
I have also heard Pirelli might have supply issue as they do not have a tyre suitable for super taxis but if they win the contract they will one constuct one but twelve month delay.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 05:11 (Ref:1943063)   #14
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
when it comes to racing probably Bridgestone is top Michelin 2nd and Perreli 3rd from what you hear with suplying.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1943250)   #15
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Yokohama's were a pretty good tyre when they were running around on the PJ SIERRA'S and I think they had a run on the B&H Commodore's.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 11:34 (Ref:1943292)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Every car that I have bought with Bridgestones on it.... when they wear/wore they were almost invariably flung for something much much better. The one I bought with Continentals went likewise... The one I bought new with Yokohamas aboard kept the Yokohamas....

But you read the marketing blurb and a Bob Jane Aussie All Rounder should be good enough for us ordinary folk
Old 21 Jun 2007, 11:50 (Ref:1943304)   #17
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THe tyre tender for V8SC is a very complex and involved thing.
Apparently all the tyre manufactures get in a line and when the powers that be call for volunteers the person who doesn't step backwards fast enough gets the gig
I have heard 2 suppliers talking big and saying they premium price because of the hassle, maybe just talk, of course
Old 21 Jun 2007, 22:58 (Ref:1943777)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking about this, and is there any reason why they couldn't have multiple tyre manufacturers if there was a regulation enforcing that a tyre manufacturer must supply identical tyres to more than 2 teams, across both car brands? The teams would be able to "claim" other teams tyres from their tyre manufacturer as they can now. That would prevent one team from getting "specials" and still allow competition between tyre companies.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 01:26 (Ref:1943837)   #19
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Every car that I have bought with Bridgestones on it.... when they wear/wore they were almost invariably flung for something much much better. The one I bought with Continentals went likewise... The one I bought new with Yokohamas aboard kept the Yokohamas....

But you read the marketing blurb and a Bob Jane Aussie All Rounder should be good enough for us ordinary folk
just put the Yokies on our wagon the ones Bob Jane has on special at the moment 205/65/15 (on mags) would never go back to the crap that was on it before, on my car i've got 215/60/15 Maxxis you can tell the yokies are better, less road noise a bit stickyer in the wet, our wagon is a VN sports and mine is a VP BT1 both have FE2 suspension so similar setup so it mainly comes down to tyres, every car drives different of which i think mine is slightly better but i feel the yokies add to the wagon.

in racing terms out of Dunlop, Pirreli and yokahama (the latest i heard these were the contenders) looking at main forms of motorsport around the world Pirreli would be most recognised in current times as Yokies used to be big, correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited by Pro Racer; 22 Jun 2007 at 01:31.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 01:55 (Ref:1943847)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was the Eastern Creek pre-race Panelbeaters show a caller rang asking if Pirelli were getting the nod and Neil said he could not say but they may be on the right track.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 02:09 (Ref:1943849)   #21
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least if Pirelli gets the gig some of you might learn how to spell "Pirelli".
Old 22 Jun 2007, 02:25 (Ref:1943855)   #22
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
And the public MIGHT have a SLIGHT chance of getting a copy of the Pirelli Calender
Old 22 Jun 2007, 03:29 (Ref:1943873)   #23
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pity Michelin did'nt put a tender in. This would have given teams access to BF Goodrich and their All terrain and Mud terrain tyres. Which would help the lesser talented drivers during their off track excursions.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 04:18 (Ref:1943888)   #24
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
(cough) Rick (cough).

Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, spell check.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1944080)   #25
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyres:

Contact between vehicle and surface.

Can all the experts predict the natue of each cicuit, wet and dry?

Drivers say the rears were secondhand

Fronts cop a flogging , Waffle Crompton will tell you.

What is the actual compound to survive 30 laps of most asussie tracks?

Let the bidding wars beging

lets go back to running what you want. Sorry no calenders