Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 19 May 2004, 15:33 (Ref:975568)   #1
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FRenault@Oulton Park

Todays FRenault test,

Jarvis 1.19.402 - Conway - Barber - Hollings - DiResta - Byrne - Mcintosh - Jakes - Foster - Storckenfelt - Simpson - Stoddart 1.20.024.

Top 11 drivers all within half a second of each other, looks like a great weekend of racing.
Old 19 May 2004, 21:30 (Ref:975897)   #2
pmaster
Rookie

pmaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
should be good, what's the weather forecast for that part of the world? And can they overtake?
Old 19 May 2004, 22:37 (Ref:975943)   #3
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The weather forecast is mixed. I'll put my Michael Fish hat on and say I would expect it to be cloudy but dry!

And yes they can overtake into the Island hairpin and also possibly at Lodge.

Hope my mate Alex Storckenfeldt can repeat his Silverstone form again! best of luck dude!
Old 20 May 2004, 07:57 (Ref:976224)   #4
Freddie
Racer

Freddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Conway for 2 poles, 2 fastest laps and 2 wins.

What has happened to Comtec Renault after his stupid emails about the Conways? I haven't seen him on for a while. Are we finally rid of him?
Old 20 May 2004, 08:10 (Ref:976233)   #5
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
He only comes on to gloat when one of his guys wins Freddie.......

Obviously after Westley's Silverstone antics he's been staying well away!

Last edited by Gaz; 20 May 2004 at 08:10.
Old 20 May 2004, 09:23 (Ref:976299)   #6
Freddie
Racer

I should hope so!
Old 20 May 2004, 10:27 (Ref:976360)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Wes' move was fine, its the same move he did on Di Resta and Conway in the races before and they gave him room. It was just a simple racing incident that was no ones fault.
Old 20 May 2004, 10:36 (Ref:976370)   #8
Freddie
Racer

What?

We are talking about the same incident aren't we. He did it on Conway and Mike had to swerve, mid corner, to stop Wes t-boning him.

The move on Di Resta was the same but Paul didn't see him. Also, Wes was carrying around 5mph more speed. Wes would never have made the corner. He must have hit paul at 20-25mph.

You wouldn't have thought it was fine if you were leading the race and got taken out in that way.

The general comments on this forum also suggested that Wes was massively at fault.

I suggest you watch Men & Motors again!
Old 20 May 2004, 10:53 (Ref:976386)   #9
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure i read in one of the comics that even Wes said it was his own fault !!
Old 20 May 2004, 12:02 (Ref:976474)   #10
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
It certainly wasn't a simple racing incident, I think you should go back and watch the video of it!

He came from absolutely miles back and was just lucky when he'd done it the time before Conway had seen him...unfortunatly Di Resta didn't.

And as someone else stated Wez admitted in the mags he was in the wrong anyway. Its not the first time this season he's made a highly questionable move...I'm thinking of Thruxton round 2 as well...

Last edited by Gaz; 20 May 2004 at 12:03.
Old 20 May 2004, 12:04 (Ref:976475)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wez was being a bit of a fish. he pulled off the same move on conway (who saw him and moved because otherwise he'd have caused an accident), but started this one too early. if di resta would have seen him and moved he would have lost his place, but maybe if he'd have taken the right line he could have got it back on the run up to bridge? who knows.

arguably it was one of those moves that someone has to get out of the way of. either barber was going to get past, or he was going to crash. 2 moves, 2 outcomes. di resta didn't see him/didn't move, conway did see him, and moved out of the way.

anyway, that was last time. stop being so bitter and think forward about this weekend.
Old 21 May 2004, 08:09 (Ref:977362)   #12
Freddie
Racer

Yeah, and see where Wes will try to take Conway out this time.
Old 21 May 2004, 09:28 (Ref:977453)   #13
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey what's going on here? Haven't seen Westley's move but, even if he did cock it up and he was at fault, he surely didn't mean to crash on purpose. Don't knock the guy for having a go – on this same thread someone is talking about lack of overtaking in Formula Renault. If Westley and others didn't try manoeuvres then we'd all be slagging them off for giving us boring races. Yeah he messed up, now let him learn from that and work out how to pull off a good AND clean manoeuvre, which was probably his intention all the time.
Old 21 May 2004, 10:32 (Ref:977516)   #14
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
I'm not too sure JJ. Yes it was good he tried a move and yes you have a point with what you say BUT it's not the first time he's tried a debatable move this year. Thruxton race 2 he nearly rammed Conway out of the race and then at Silverstone if Conway hadn't have seen him he would have been wiped out in the same way Di Resta was a couple of laps later.

And with all the bitter rivalry associated with Fortec/Conway and Comtec/Barber nothing would surprise me. I also think Wez is trying to hard in an attempt to keep with Conway who clearly is quicker (for whatever reason)
Old 21 May 2004, 14:53 (Ref:977798)   #15
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People keep on saying that Barber's move on di Resta was the same as he had done on Conway - it's not at all. The move on Conway was a good one, that Westley should be congratulated on. He put his car in a position where there could have been an accident, but where Conway was able to avoid it, providing he let Barber go. That's a good move in my book, you're always taking a risk when you overtake, but this was calculated. I've heard people compliment Conway on his driving, that they feel they can drive wheel to wheel with him, he won't take them off. Maybe Barber knew this.

The di Resta move was different. Barber was too far back, went for it too late, and there was nothing di Resta could have done to avoid it. A costly mistake that Barber admitted to.

Last edited by Paul Rayner; 21 May 2004 at 14:54.
Old 21 May 2004, 23:22 (Ref:978191)   #16
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without seeing either incident, but having seen/watched all 3 drivers over the years, I'd be tempted to agree with Paul.

Barber is desperate. He was quicker than Mike Conway in FF, and will go for the slightest gap.

Conway is a quick driver, and has been around the block long enough to know that if you let one guy go past, you drop back just one place ... if you do something dumb, you DNF. Di Resta is also a quick driver but less experienced. I can see MC letting WB's lunge go, and taking the points. I can see PDR not looking in his mirrors at WBs over-optimistic lunge, and game over.

MC will walk this year in what is clearly the best car. PDR should be making more of the Manor car/data that they have, but you have to suspect that Manor's eyes are on another driver in faraway places.

Susie Susie, what's happening??
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 22 May 2004, 17:46 (Ref:978983)   #17
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Barber is a disgrace, an absolute utter disgrace!

For anyone who is yet to here about today's race Wez stalled causing an aborted start. Now according to rules he must then take the restart from the back of the grid. An official apparently came over and pointed this out to him. He chose to ignore this and for some reason the race was started with him going off from pole. He then proceeded to shove James Murphy off the track at Old Hall resulting in Murph spinning across the middle of the track and being collected by at least 7 other cars ending most of thems race! Red flags

Then on the re-restart he was well and truly out done off the start and was languishing down in 5th. He then had a coming together with Charles Hollings at the hairpin. I havn't seen it but judging by every other move he's pulled recently it was probably his fault! This guy is desperate and should have a penalty applied to him of some sort now before he hurts someone! I would also like to here the official line on why he took the restart from pole....

Anyway, enough of the ranting...well done to Sean McIntosh. An unexpected winner who put in a fine drive. Also well done to Mike Conway who somehow managed to hold on to second despite have a busted front wing after another first corner incident!
Old 22 May 2004, 20:17 (Ref:979058)   #18
pugpower
Rookie

pugpower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear Murph is bruised and very sore and unlikley to race tomorrow Sunday as a result of the incident.

Where were the officials?.
Old 22 May 2004, 20:19 (Ref:979061)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
having a cup of tea and a sit down...

murph didn't look too pleased when i walked past him! hope he's alright to race (although is 18th on the grid worth starting for?).
Old 22 May 2004, 20:39 (Ref:979065)   #20
pugpower
Rookie

pugpower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well eight place certianly wasn't, even though he was in the lead when he was pushed off the track yet again.
Old 22 May 2004, 20:46 (Ref:979068)   #21
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one guy was very very lucky today at the start of the race after the green flag he stalled the car and was asked to go to the rear of the grid after they did another green flag lap due to delayed start which he never did he went straight to the front row so race started and a very large coming together at old hall ment a restart meaning new race 10 laps and he got away with what a lucky guy but the other side of it what a great race class
Old 22 May 2004, 20:51 (Ref:979073)   #22
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Thats Barber, the guy I'm on about a few posts up! His conduct is absolutely shocking and he's a disgrace! I can't believe the officials let him get away with starting from pole though. Mr Lewis hasn't got a leg to stand on now when he dares accuse any other team/driver of cheating!

I'm just glad Barber didn't finish the race...at least some justice has been done. Although I'm sure Murph, Carrapotoso, Russell and all the other drivers that were involved in the shunt that Barber caused wouldn't agree
Old 22 May 2004, 20:59 (Ref:979080)   #23
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
funny this... I thought this was an FR/OP thread but it seems to be a slag Wez off for what happened ay Silverstone thread...
Old 22 May 2004, 21:03 (Ref:979082)   #24
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the race hadnt had a red flag he was gettin black flagged anyway but has a marshal not a driver i still think it was unfair he was allowed to start from there
like u say i wouldnt of liked to have seen what had happened if he won the race
Old 22 May 2004, 21:05 (Ref:979084)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yes but wez did play a huge part in that startline accident and also got/binned himself... i think he's left himself open for criticism here.

gaz - TIME OUT. untangle your y fronts, sit down, have a pint and take a deep breath. then put the handbag away and tell us what happened at the start...