Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 20 Apr 2017, 14:18 (Ref:3727978)   #26
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The crowd funding had already exceeded it's target when I first checked last night

Anyway the latest news is that he's awoken from his coma and is already saying he wants to come back to racing sometime
also because of generous donations by these 2

Old 20 Apr 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3727997)   #27
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neppatsrev Xam View Post
also because of generous donations by these 2

Yes, but you'd hope so because they have the money. Their donations total £30,000- over £500,000 has been raised thanks to thousands of people, not just two.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 18:40 (Ref:3728006)   #28
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am saddened by the whole situation, saddened for Billy himself, his parents, family and the team, we all who have family driving cars know what can happen and take whatever precautions we can. Saddened that the circumstances were such that it could happen, we do need to know why and what can be done in the future.
But I am also saddened that it takes bad news to get the media of all types to talk about racing. It has always been true, and always will be true that bad news gets noticed best. Never could I have been sitting here listening to BBC radio reporting on a National Race of any type, let alone a F4 event, at peak time. It takes them all their time to report on F1, sports/GT rarely get a mention, NIck Tandy somehow managed it last week. Friends actually ask if Le Mans is still run as it used to be 'cos they never hear about it and yet, thankfully in most ways, Billy's accident has been in the news all day.
The media are such hypocrites.
Good luck Billy and your family, WE will always give you our support.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 19:19 (Ref:3728014)   #29
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's typical for the mainstream media, they're vultures. You'll only hear about F1 and MotoGP, unless something terrible happens.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3728021)   #30
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I live in Loughborough, not a million miles from Donington, and several of my neighbours (who know I "play with cars", as I put it) have asked me since Monday whether I knew what had happened. I kept my own counsel, mentioned that I wasn't there as I was at the WEC meeting, and that it certainly looked like a terrible incident.

I'm glad I did, as the outcome - although terrible - is certainly not, so far, as bad as it could have been.

Today, a number of them have mentioned the epic response from the motorsport (and wider) community in terms of fundraising. One of them has even asked if I might be able to take them to see some motorsport as "it isn't that far away".

From little acorns, etc. Good will come of this in many ways.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 21:10 (Ref:3728040)   #31
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
Apparently the Mygale's frontal crash structure was already shown to be inadequate on Australian street circuits, so I'm curious as to whether it will be revised at some point.
I'm more curious to see what will be FIA answer to this crash. Will Jean Todt & Cia allow our kids to drive a non safe racing car? This Mygale is clearly not safe as per today's safety standards.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 04:15 (Ref:3728091)   #32
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
I'm more curious to see what will be FIA answer to this crash. Will Jean Todt & Cia allow our kids to drive a non safe racing car? This Mygale is clearly not safe as per today's safety standards.
The FIA crash test is only done at ~30mph against a solid wall, which sounds low to me. https://www.formula1.com/en/champion...ash_tests.html

The FIA-spec rear crash structure, due to its shape, might also have contributed to Monger's injuries.

F1 version, but the F4 one works on the same principle (box structure attached to the gearbox).

Last edited by 10TENTHS; 21 Apr 2017 at 04:39.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3728118)   #33
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know I said it up thread, but we collectively need those with access to all the data to do their investigation, as that's what they're good at.

This sort of speculation is not particularly helpful.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3728175)   #34
10TENTHS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I know I said it up thread, but we collectively need those with access to all the data to do their investigation, as that's what they're good at..
Ah right, only the experts can have an opinion. So why is Monger now disabled if the FIA's safety standards for a Mygale F4 chassis are good enough? We didn't see this injury happen in F3 last year with Li/Tveter or other high-speed collisions in 2015 (yes, I know Li had broken bones, but not a permanent disfigurement). Even the crash-filled German and Italian series have not had any serious injuries.

Just to be clear, I'm not a crash investigator, just a guy offering his concerned take on a forum. We have the onboard video and the specs I quoted, plus the Mygale's front end differing from the Tatuus F4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
This sort of speculation is not particularly helpful.
Doesn't stop the internet trashing series regardless (whether it be F1 or something else). I follow these championships on a semi-regular basis in case you didn't notice.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3728215)   #35
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
Ah right, only the experts can have an opinion.
Nope. But my opinion (and that's just it, it's my opinion) is that calling out a manufacturer for having a flawed design when that's in no way proven is unhelpful, at the very least.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 21:44 (Ref:3728260)   #36
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
I can't agree more with @10TENTHS. This is an internet forum, where people discuss ideas, and express opinions and views.

The political correctness of today has wrecked the public debate. People like @Greem is afraid to talk. There will be no public discussion about this crash. In the end, to avoid a scandal, a bunch of guys with light blue shirts and French accent will write a nice report that will never be available for any of us.

Tomorrow there will be kids like poor Billy driving these Mygales that no one knows how safe they are (or are not). That scares me.

When most people lose a parent or a friend in motor racing, they inherit sorrow, and loss. But on the 8 Place de la Concorde. Paris, death’s sad chapter comes with a silver lining and a lot of silence.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 23:16 (Ref:3728270)   #37
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's not that people are afraid to talk. they just don't want to because they aren't in possession of the facts and know that speculating based on their own hunches and theories isn't always a good idea. it's far too easy for someone else to read it, fail to take the context of the comments into consideration and before you know it things are out of hand.

everyone can have an opinion but it's important that it's presented as such, which in fairness to 10tenths they have done. but greem has a point too - speculation can easily go down a harmful path. you only need to see some of the badly articulated crap on social media about this to understand that.

the fia has a lot of thinking to do and questions to ask but it's important to be realistic about any conclusions and consequences an investigation will come up with.

i hope billy achieves every one of his goals in the future, whatever he decides to do.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 19:27 (Ref:3728953)   #38
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speculation is harmless when done properly. In fact, if nobody speculated, and then proceeded to examine their thoughts, then nothing would be achieved. It shall only become regressive to speculate when any speculation, for whatever reason, is then adopted as the absolute truth because someone's mind has decided that the world works exactly as they think it does.

I wish nothing but a healthy recovery for Billy in the future. Motorsport is dangerous, yes, but for this to happen is too tragic. The lad was 17 years old, with a whole life ahead of him, and potentially a solid career given his obvious speed. He seems wonderfully determined to get everything back on track, but unfortunately this will likely be the biggest hurdle he'll encounter in his life. Can we not be concerned? And can this concern not manifest itself in wondering how this happened, or in wondering how this can be avoided?
Old 24 Apr 2017, 21:01 (Ref:3728983)   #39
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Definitely we shall spend our time wondering how this can be avoided. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Old 7 May 2017, 12:22 (Ref:3731933)   #40
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thruxton race absolutely amazing. Some amazing racing, fantastic car control. Absolutely brilliant viewing.
Old 7 May 2017, 19:31 (Ref:3732024)   #41
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Thruxton race absolutely amazing. Some amazing racing, fantastic car control. Absolutely brilliant viewing.
Agreed - the first race today must count as one of the best races I have ever seen - fantastic car control and clean racing. Second race not quite as good, but still way better than most races I've seen.

Congrats to Jamie Caroline for a record-breaking 3 out of 3 victories
Old 7 May 2017, 20:35 (Ref:3732038)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Race 2, classic slipstreamfest. And well done to Caroline on getting all 3
Old 9 May 2017, 15:49 (Ref:3732492)   #43
10TENTHS
Veteran

Car count isn't looking too healthy though.
Old 9 May 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3732521)   #44
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still a long way from convinced by Caroline, i know you can only beat what is in front of you but for some reason i'm just not sold on him.
Old 9 May 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3732537)   #45
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
I'm still a long way from convinced by Caroline, i know you can only beat what is in front of you but for some reason i'm just not sold on him.
I am sold on him right now. No doubt he has a fine package but he looks a shoe-in for the title already (maybe too early to say that though). That being said, I am also unconvinced that the field is good to gauge his ability from, despite some very talented drivers in there. I'll wait and see what he can do next season, assuming he steps up.
Old 10 May 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3732679)   #46
10TENTHS
Veteran

With the exception of Quinn who isn't full-time, the British F4 field has no notable returning drivers, and it's currently sitting at 14 entries. Otherwise I'd be lauding Caroline as a potential star driver... as it stands he is just doing what any good driver should be in this context.

The Italian F4 series is down to 20 entries, which is half of last year's opening number. If I were in the FIA, I would be looking at whether the cost cap is effective in practice...
Old 10 May 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3732693)   #47
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
No news about the 2017 F4 Sudamericana schedule or drivers.
Old 21 May 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3734970)   #48
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it just me or was Caroline absolutely all over the place in Sundays race, running wide, banging wheels etc, obviously good news that he is ok after the crash but that was a bit sketchy to say the very least.
Old 21 May 2017, 14:03 (Ref:3734976)   #49
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So was the rest of the grid. After great racing at Thruxton, that was an absolute shambles. F4 is not a contact sport and they were bumping each other out the way. Easy to predict that would end in a red.
Old 23 May 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3735561)   #50
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
That was the Caroline of old, very insecure about where his car was on the circuit but desperate to get ahead anyway. He was not alone, but it was disappointing from someone who has been truly brilliant all season, with some phenomenal racecraft. Quite how he managed to end up where he did is what I'd be intrigued to know, thankfully he was alright!