Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Feb 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2629730)   #1
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Black band on AMR1 front panel

When the AMR1 raced in Historic Group C racing I'm sure I read the black stripe across the front panel was in memory of David Leslie, but looking back through period shots (like the one below at Le Mans 1989) I see the stripe was there in period.

Anyone know why it was present on the cars originally?

Thanks.

M.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 09:58 (Ref:2629759)   #2
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
IIRC it was in memory of legendary sportscar team manager and owner John Wyer, who died shortly before Le Mans- April 1989 I think. Before running the Gulf GT40s and 917s, JW had been Aston's team manager during the 50's, and at the time of their 1959 Le Mans win
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wyer

I think the AMR1s carried the band all season- they debuted at Dijon in May, missing the first round after a testing shunt at Donington- a suspension breakage putting David Leslie into the wall and wrote off the first chassis

Last edited by KA; 9 Feb 2010 at 10:03.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2629776)   #3
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Memories.... J W was a legend in the AM factory, I was a student apprentice with David Brown Automotive in the 50's and part of the crew that went to Newport Pagnell when the Leeds factory closed in 1957. We had built race engines for Feltham and the interuption in production between autumn 1956 and mid 1957 was covered by building a stock of production chassis and engines but if IIRC, no spare race engines. Wyer and DB came in mid summer to see how we were doing with the new chassis/engine production and I remember all the panic to get the place straight, chassis on trolleys, engines on stands and white lines painted before the inspection!
Relaxed times in many ways, I happened to be crossing the yard as Wyer drove in, open top car with the cricket on the radio, David Brown, later Sir David was in the office and leaned out of the window to ask for the score as Wyer parked his car. I rushed back into the shop to tell everybody he had arrived, a sort of "stand by your beds" moment, we lowly fellows in production did not see people like DB and JW very often
Ahh.....Lost youth!
Old 9 Feb 2010, 10:43 (Ref:2629788)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Nice looking car
Old 9 Feb 2010, 11:04 (Ref:2629798)   #5
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Memories.... J W was a legend in the AM factory, I was a student apprentice with David Brown Automotive in the 50's and part of the crew that went to Newport Pagnell when the Leeds factory closed in 1957. We had built race engines for Feltham and the interuption in production between autumn 1956 and mid 1957 was covered by building a stock of production chassis and engines but if IIRC, no spare race engines. Wyer and DB came in mid summer to see how we were doing with the new chassis/engine production and I remember all the panic to get the place straight, chassis on trolleys, engines on stands and white lines painted before the inspection!
Relaxed times in many ways, I happened to be crossing the yard as Wyer drove in, open top car with the cricket on the radio, David Brown, later Sir David was in the office and leaned out of the window to ask for the score as Wyer parked his car. I rushed back into the shop to tell everybody he had arrived, a sort of "stand by your beds" moment, we lowly fellows in production did not see people like DB and JW very often
Ahh.....Lost youth!
Great story, thanks for sharing it. I have read most of the detail on JW's time prior to, during, and after the 917 years that is available over the net, but have often wondered if there is any biographic book on John Wyers life in motorsport. It would be an interesting read. Sorry to go off topic.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2629817)   #6
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not exactly a John Wyer biography, but I can highly recommend John Horsmann´s “Racing in the rain”.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2629838)   #7
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Nice looking car
Loudest V8 ever too by all accounts.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 13:44 (Ref:2629864)   #8
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Definatley! Right up with Corvette C6R's and CanAm cars
Old 9 Feb 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2629885)   #9
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuncha View Post
Definatley! Right up with Corvette C6R's and CanAm cars
I don't remember the noise of the AMR and never heard the original Can-am cars but the loudest V8 I ever heard was the early front engined Panoz's - much louder IMO than any corvette I have heard
Old 9 Feb 2010, 16:51 (Ref:2629991)   #10
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
its the loudest yank V8 ive heard, the best sounding thats for sure, accelarating all the way down the hangar straight at silverstone its sounds glorious.

But the Panoz batmobile was louder, mother of god that thing was not a V8 GT1. It was a noise weapon
Old 9 Feb 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2630026)   #11
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had the privelidge of being at Spa in '89 to watch the two AMR1's and two of the Sauber Merc C9's go up the hill together the memory of that noise still brings goose bumps to my flesh and a tear to the eye, Awesome sounds.

God I miss Group C.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2630054)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Mick Roe was magic to watch at night in that thing , I think he got fastest AMR race lap too .

I think it was designed by Jeff Bloxham , which I understand now also passed away ?

At the time it was considered a lump , but I liked it , and as said above , it also sounded the part too .
Old 9 Feb 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2630084)   #13
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
In Le Mans 2008 (Group C Support Race ) they used the black Stripe again ,in Memory of David Leslie .

http://s12b.directupload.net/file/d/2065/5xhveacq_jpg
Old 9 Feb 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2630085)   #14
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
I had the privelidge of being at Spa in '89 to watch the two AMR1's and two of the Sauber Merc C9's go up the hill together the memory of that noise still brings goose bumps to my flesh and a tear to the eye, Awesome sounds.

God I miss Group C.
Oh yes....I saw them at Brands and Donington that year- wonderful beasts!
Old 9 Feb 2010, 19:10 (Ref:2630097)   #15
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Mick Roe was magic to watch at night in that thing , I think he got fastest AMR race lap too .

I think it was designed by Jeff Bloxham , which I understand now also passed away ?

At the time it was considered a lump , but I liked it , and as said above , it also sounded the part too .
Jeff Bloxham is a photographer...

Max Boxstram designed the car.

And, no, Roe did not set fastest lap. It was the 19 car of Mallock, Leslie and Sears.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 20:36 (Ref:2630156)   #16
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
its the loudest yank V8 ive heard, the best sounding thats for sure, accelarating all the way down the hangar straight at silverstone its sounds glorious.

But the Panoz batmobile was louder, mother of god that thing was not a V8 GT1. It was a noise weapon
Yeah true actually but oh man she was fugly.

The thing about Gp C cars, they were works of art - you could stick a frame around them and pop them up on a wall. Gorgeous.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 21:15 (Ref:2630183)   #17
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bostrom also got his hands on the 962 at the behest of Vern Schuppan's eponymous team at LM 91. Car was has the aesthetics of the Aston and was withdrawn as the designer's aero mods made the car undriveable.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 22:39 (Ref:2630261)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Great story, thanks for sharing it. I have read most of the detail on JW's time prior to, during, and after the 917 years that is available over the net, but have often wondered if there is any biographic book on John Wyers life in motorsport. It would be an interesting read. Sorry to go off topic.

The Certain Sound is the nearest you'll probably get. The story of Wyer's involvement in racing with Aston, Ford and Porsche. It's a highly sought after book which changes hands (when you can find one) for £200+. I have a copy. It's an interesting (if a little dry) read.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 00:20 (Ref:2630302)   #19
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah true actually but oh man she was fugly.

The thing about Gp C cars, they were works of art - you could stick a frame around them and pop them up on a wall. Gorgeous.
Touche, the Batmobile was a erm 'unique' looking car, put it that way. I realised one of my dreams seeing the Group C cars in action at the Silverstone Classic in 2009. The Jag's were magnificent, but the Sauber Merc C9, oh my god. I nearly wet myself when i saw the silver bullet hurtling down the Hangar straight.
Watching the start of that group C race in front of the fencing just before braking for Stowe. That will live with me until i die, Nissan's, Jag's, Aston, Sauber Merc, Porsche's blasting past at over 180mph. Just magic, im only 20 but i desperatly want Group C to return. Or at least a modern equivalent (Loud cars again that all look stunning.)
Old 10 Feb 2010, 05:06 (Ref:2630388)   #20
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now you know why I chose my username
Old 10 Feb 2010, 13:19 (Ref:2630597)   #21
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Now you know why I chose my username
Exactly, now here is why i love the C9, courtesy of moi at the 2009 Silverstone Classic

Hopefully she will be racing next year in the Group C championship as well.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2630759)   #22
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
Exactly, now here is why i love the C9, courtesy of moi at the 2009 Silverstone Classic

Hopefully she will be racing next year in the Group C championship as well.

Thanks for that! I hope so but the Group C cars wont be at the Silverstone classic by the looks of their calendar Still wont stop me enjoying them at Le Mans and marshalling the Silverstone classic anyway!
Old 10 Feb 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2630798)   #23
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Thanks for that! I hope so but the Group C cars wont be at the Silverstone classic by the looks of their calendar Still wont stop me enjoying them at Le Mans and marshalling the Silverstone classic anyway!
They are at Brands Hatch on July 31/Aug 1st instead
Old 10 Feb 2010, 20:03 (Ref:2630873)   #24
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post

Roe was definately a talent overlooked. Massively so in fact.

Which snapper/journo Jeff was it who was Rosbergs pal and got him into flying - Bloxham or Hutchinson?

Best Group C noise for me was Thackwell at Silverstone in 87 chucking the rumbling Sauber into Copse. Awesome!
Old 10 Feb 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2630897)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post

Best Group C noise for me was Thackwell at Silverstone in 87 chucking the rumbling Sauber into Copse. Awesome!

Mmmmm. I was there.....