Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Sep 2017, 15:01 (Ref:3766555)   #51
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I believe that some of Honda's problems are that in the car the engine creates a lot of vibration (that Honda aren't seeing on their dyno testing), which may explain why some or much depending on which side you are on, of the work on power and reliablity is not producing the results in the car that Honda are seeing in their testing. We may recall that some of the initial problems with the RBR Renault turbo engine was the very tight packaging that Newey designed that caused failures that Renault hadn't seen in their dyno testing either. So the timing of the deal is good and Honda will have to work very closely with TR to make sure the packaging is right as it seems to be a lot more critical with the current engine regs and proliferation of electroncs that need accomodating and not overheating.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3767151)   #52
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Not off to a great start on the expectation management front....

Honda sets top-three target for 2018 F1 season with Toro Rosso

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...ith-toro-rosso
Old 15 Sep 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3767196)   #53
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Not off to a great start on the expectation management front....

Honda sets top-three target for 2018 F1 season with Toro Rosso

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...ith-toro-rosso
Is that top three engine failures?
Old 15 Sep 2017, 22:06 (Ref:3767227)   #54
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Is that top three engine failures?
On the first race weekend?

Poor Honda...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Sep 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3767341)   #55
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just want to wish my best to the team and the drivers who have to try and get what Honda are targeting
Old 16 Sep 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3767360)   #56
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i really like how tost went out his way to squeeze the maximum ammount of honda related historical facts in one sentence during the announcement...a+
Old 16 Sep 2017, 14:32 (Ref:3767403)   #57
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
So the *Minardi* Honda deal is back on.

I remember when (Mugen) Honda dumped Minardi for Ligier at the 12 hour 22 years ago.

Alonso's current manager, Flavio was the evil genius behind that bit of shenanigans.

So that's my fun facts for today.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3768306)   #58
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Will this be the first time Minardi/Toro Rosso have had a works engine deal?
Old 19 Sep 2017, 23:52 (Ref:3768662)   #59
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Will this be the first time Minardi/Toro Rosso have had a works engine deal?
Appears Minardi's first F1 adventure was with a works deal - the Motori Moderni Tipo 615-90 1.5 V6t.

Also the only team to run Brian Harts' 830 3.0 V8 in 1994 but may have just been cheaper supply.

Fun Fact - also the first team in modern F1 times to use customer Ferrari engines, in 1991.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 00:20 (Ref:3768667)   #60
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
i really like how tost went out his way to squeeze the maximum ammount of honda related historical facts in one sentence during the announcement...a+

i really like how tost went out his way to squeeze the maximum amount

positive
of honda related historical facts in one sentence during the
^^

announcement...a+

There, fixed!
Old 22 Sep 2017, 22:01 (Ref:3769357)   #61
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Toro Rosso with Honda money? hmm, sounds like a good idea. Honda's engine is coming good with the new concept this year. So I think it should be a nice improvement into next year as well.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 22:30 (Ref:3769362)   #62
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"Honda engine coming good though this year"?

I presume a freak wormhole opened up in the fabric of the space-time continuum and carried these words far far back in time from a future we can only imagine.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 08:45 (Ref:3769880)   #63
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kyvat Out, Gasly In

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Sep 2017, 11:49 (Ref:3769913)   #64
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Doesn't look good for Kvyat's future. But a sensible decision by STR, I think.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3769929)   #65
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Doesn't look good for Kvyat's future. But a sensible decision by STR, I think.
I'm sure the marketing people at Martini would be quite interested in having a Russian driver in the Williams, the Russian drinks market is bloody huge!!!!......he could sell more drink than a Polish driver, and his experience is more relevant that Kubicas......Kvyat is still a decent driver, so he crashed off in the wet at Singapore, you cant hold that against him
Old 26 Sep 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3769950)   #66
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Kyvat had his chance to redeem himself, but he's looked completely lost this season and hasn't exactly helped himself. Dunno where he will go now. Looking forward to seeing Gasly finally get the chance, a good day for the future of the sport
Old 26 Sep 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3769962)   #67
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
from the link, it doesnt sound like Kyvat is out for 2018 as Gasly is just set to replace him at one maybe two races this year.

iirc STR already picked up the option on Kyvat for 2018 so isnt this just more of a confirmation that the line up will be Kyvat and Gasly at STR for 2018?
Old 26 Sep 2017, 15:28 (Ref:3769970)   #68
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
from the link, it doesnt sound like Kyvat is out for 2018 as Gasly is just set to replace him at one maybe two races this year.

iirc STR already picked up the option on Kyvat for 2018 so isnt this just more of a confirmation that the line up will be Kyvat and Gasly at STR for 2018?
Picking up the option on Kvyat and him being in a Torro Rosso in 2018 are very different things I'd have thought he'd be out on his arse and Honda will drop a driver into the second seat alongside Gasly. Unless of course Gasly is dreadful - you have to wonder if they're not that confident in him, if they're were surely they'd just put him in for next season and not faff about with anything this year? Has the Red Bull junior program run out of talent?
Old 26 Sep 2017, 15:36 (Ref:3769974)   #69
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
indeed, they are two different things.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 21:49 (Ref:3770020)   #70
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I do wonder whether an agreement was reached for Gasly to drive assuming that Sainz left immediately, but as he has stayed until the end of the season, they are having to "punt" Kyvat out of his seat to honour the agreement?
Old 27 Sep 2017, 14:57 (Ref:3770122)   #71
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I do wonder whether an agreement was reached for Gasly to drive assuming that Sainz left immediately, but as he has stayed until the end of the season, they are having to "punt" Kyvat out of his seat to honour the agreement?
yep, its all Palmers fault!......but the 8 points he scored at singapore and jumped the team into 5th above HAAS was worth him staying......if they beat Williams he can leave with his head held high.....I dont yet rate Palmer, but perhaps he is a grower.......many drivers originally looked very average, only to later become champion after the penny dropped and they worked out what to do, Hakkinen was a fine example.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3770123)   #72
S griffin
Veteran

Idk how you think Hakkinen looked average to begin with. He looked a talent in that 91 Lotus and his performances in the 92 Lotus were even better
Old 28 Sep 2017, 06:29 (Ref:3770234)   #73
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Idk how you think Hakkinen looked average to begin with. He looked a talent in that 91 Lotus and his performances in the 92 Lotus were even better
Yes i think there are more accurate examples.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 07:26 (Ref:3770235)   #74
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Niki Lauda European F2,

1971 10th
1972 5th

1st F1 race Austria 1971, 1972 five races.

Turned out alright I guess.

(Prior to F2, Austrian Formula Super Vee, prior I have no idea!)

Last edited by wnut; 28 Sep 2017 at 07:40.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 07:37 (Ref:3770237)   #75
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Irvine, Barachello, Massa.......dare I say Rosberg & Bottas too.......they were all nothing special when they started and all took about 5-10 years to mature