Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Apr 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3816471)   #1
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Darrell Eastlake

Another legend off to the races in the sky, no doubt he'll be calling them loud and proud as always. One of my 3 all-time favourite commentators of any sport ( with Mike Raymond and Tony Palmer ).

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/l...-dies-1027788/

One of many great race calls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjNMD1TEwgk
Old 19 Apr 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3816474)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was many a time in my household where sport would be on in another room as background noise. Then you'd hear this vocal erruption from Mr Eastlake, to which you'd go running in to see what you've just missed.

There's a headset and mic waiting for you in the big comms box upstairs, old timer.

RIP
Old 19 Apr 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3816479)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Apr 2018, 11:26 (Ref:3816480)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Eastpake provided colour and intensity around the sporting events that would otherwise probably not have been there.

“its Huuuuuuge”

And it always was. Something a bit special going on, that the bloke could turn on like a light switch, and Umai Naa says, the crowd comes a running.

And someone who got the best out of Alan Jones on the F1 coverage of the day. The rapport was real... it was a great era to be watching sport..

Poor bugger in his later years. To lose one’s memory, and physical and mental faculties cruel everyone around them as much as the person living with its effects.

Sad
Old 19 Apr 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3816481)   #5
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And another part of my childhood has died.

All I can say is that Darrell is now no longer suffering and is at peace.

RIP Big Darrell
Old 19 Apr 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3816485)   #6
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Big Daz raced a P76 back in the day! His motorsport coverage was great.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3816489)   #7
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mike Jacobson showing himself (yet again) to be the ultimate grub.

RIP big Darrell Beefsteak - someone with your infectious enthusiasm added a spark into sports commentary. You were great for motor sport from F1 to Drag Racing and whilst we haven't heard from you in a while, you will be fondly remembered.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 12:33 (Ref:3816492)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Mike Jacobson showing himself (yet again) to be the ultimate grub.
And the Dude served one back..
Old 19 Apr 2018, 12:41 (Ref:3816493)   #9
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I'm not sure what relevance this has in an RIP thread? Completely inappropriate

Very sad news about Darrell, i loved his commentary on all forms of sport, and particularly motorsport. He was as passionate as anyone, and it showed. I recall Eddie Jordan saying during one of the Australian GP telecasts in the 90s that he considered Eastlake one of the best motorsport callers in the world. I didn't disagree.

RIP
Old 21 Apr 2018, 03:22 (Ref:3816727)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 21 Apr 2018, 04:32 (Ref:3816731)   #11
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P. Darryl, always liked your commentary work.

Must be some more information about big Dazza and the Leyland P76, out their in ten tenths land!
Old 21 Apr 2018, 06:39 (Ref:3816740)   #12
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Speedcafe have closed comments.

As to the P76, do I remember some stuff about it in Muscle Car many years ago?

K
Old 21 Apr 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3816794)   #13
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
He raced his p76 for a while, so I think the comment that he knew nothing about racing is both disrespectful and wrong.

His booming style annoyed me at times, but he knew how to generate excitement. Sad loss. Condolences to all who knew and loved him