Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 4 Feb 2014, 19:56 (Ref:3364154)   #1
underwater_kiwi
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
underwater_kiwi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skope Classic 2014

Its funny how these forums seem to focus on HD and HP and one of the biggest classic racing meetings never gets a mention...

Skope Classic 2014 looked to be a very successful meeting with fields of 30+ in almost all classes with the exception of the F5000's that had a field of 13. so round 260ish entrants.
The old F5000 Track record was smashed by Michael Lyons (1:17.588).

The crowd was massive from where I was in contrast to when other shows have come to town in the past. Don't think I have every seen Ruapuna as packed as it was.

Personally I think its bad form that the big boys with smaller numbers don't seem to want to come play at a track that draws crowds for the meetings I have always been too.

Photos
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0580477&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0580477&type=3

Last edited by underwater_kiwi; 4 Feb 2014 at 20:01.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 18:24 (Ref:3364520)   #2
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that the Skope Classic was enormous, meanwhile, in Auckland the Festival somewhat faltered. They only mustered thirteen or so cars for their heritage touring car class, which in previous years was one of the strongest categories.

It appears having the two festivals so close together means some of the South Island cars choose not to travel north.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3364582)   #3
underwater_kiwi
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
underwater_kiwi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20b View Post
Interesting that the Skope Classic was enormous, meanwhile, in Auckland the Festival somewhat faltered. They only mustered thirteen or so cars for their heritage touring car class, which in previous years was one of the strongest categories.

It appears having the two festivals so close together means some of the South Island cars choose not to travel north.
Yip the downside of having 2 big classic meetings on the same weekend... Also Skope managed to secure Central Muscle on their homeward trip from HP..
Old 6 Feb 2014, 05:41 (Ref:3364696)   #4
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20b View Post

Talk to the local drivers who DIDN'T enter the Hampton Downs Festival... There were more cars at the Taupo HRC meeting the week before.

Apart from the first McLaren Festival (2010) where the South Island representation was brilliant, it has never reached the same heights since.

Grids were much lower this year and not just in Heritage Touring cars either - particularly by the end of the second weekend. I haven't been to the Skope meeting (or Ruapuna), but it is one I'd like to go to, as from what I have seen, they are not at all precious about running diverse cars and I do like large varied grids.

Mid to late January is a popular time for race meetings as many people are still on holiday so it is inevitable that there will be clashes, but only a small percentage will travel north or south, much as many would like to. $$$$, always $$$$
Old 6 Feb 2014, 10:46 (Ref:3364751)   #5
KRDG
Rookie

KRDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Talk to the local drivers who DIDN'T enter the Hampton Downs Festival... There were more cars at the Taupo HRC meeting the week before.

Apart from the first McLaren Festival (2010) where the South Island representation was brilliant, it has never reached the same heights since.

Grids were much lower this year and not just in Heritage Touring cars either - particularly by the end of the second weekend. I haven't been to the Skope meeting (or Ruapuna), but it is one I'd like to go to, as from what I have seen, they are not at all precious about running diverse cars and I do like large varied grids.

Mid to late January is a popular time for race meetings as many people are still on holiday so it is inevitable that there will be clashes, but only a small percentage will travel north or south, much as many would like to. $$$$, always $$$$
I think you may be being a bit harsh about the success of the HD festival as they did well at the gate even if it defies logic to do the same thing twice over consecutive weekends. This repetition is what keeps people (entrants) away except the local AKL'nders of course.

Remember the bulk of the depleted F5000 grid did three weekends in a row with 2 x HD followed by Skope just as they have for years. So some do it. Everyone talks about the obvious cost of this north/south thing being the big problem for entrants but the time factor is a huge element as well. Especially with these meetings becoming three day affairs. Some are dreadfully drawn out. It is simply not necessary with 200 entrants. If they had 500 entries it would be like the PI classic in OZ.

Shame that the CMC class is not pure historic as it is a great class to watch and they deserve high praise for this and their exceptional organization but detracts from the pure APP K side of a so called 'historic' gathering. Can’t have everything I was once told and isn’t that true.........