Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Jan 2016, 00:31 (Ref:3606047)   #1
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT3 best sportscar category to date?

Apologies if this topic is already in existence.

Curious what people think of GT3 in a year that sees more new models arrive on track than ever before.

I think while its not perfect it offers diversity and accessibility to the worldwide grid like no other class of sportscar racing ever has.

I loved the old GT1s but perhaps they were never realistically going to achieve the scale that GT3 has.

I'm the kind of guy that loves to see big diverse grids, especially when GT3 has put so many cars in the fight for the outright win at races like Dubai and Bathurst.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 01:00 (Ref:3606052)   #2
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GT3 has been incredible, but as you touched on, it lacks the excitement of the fairly recent GT1. However, today's GT3 is now nearly as quick as that GT1, so yeah probably best ever. That's progress.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 08:17 (Ref:3606128)   #3
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes. Cherish it while it lasts, good things always come to an end. Just look at how it has reinvigorated national motorsports while also being a bridge to world wide motorsports. Nothing has done that in the past 30, 40 years.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 08:28 (Ref:3606129)   #4
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT3 has done brilliant things for GT racing over the past ten years, but I think they need to focus on keeping the costs down.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 09:41 (Ref:3606139)   #5
GregoryDG
Racer

Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
GregoryDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, certainly with some new spectacular cars entering the scene in 2016. TCR will become its equivalent in touring cars in 2-3 years.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 09:57 (Ref:3606145)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 11:54 (Ref:3606161)   #7
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
imo, it's the best hands down. The cars are very cool, very fast and you can easily relate to to what's on the street. They are extremely popular w/ manufacturers, but that is also the only thing that worries me. I think there's a place for manufacturer-funded racing and that's GTE/GTLM. GT3 should be strictly privateer, but I'll still take what we have now.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 12:00 (Ref:3606162)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The only complaint I have about GT racing is that it's a little too diffuse - you have WEC, IMSA, BSS, BES, ELMS. But better that than the alternative.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 16:20 (Ref:3606246)   #9
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
GT3 has no doubt been a boon for road racing and they are very cool cars. Because of the way the class is structured and the lack technical innovation (the reasons the class is so popular today) would keep it from being the best in my eyes. Also, it's hard to compete with Can Am and GTP/Group C. That being said, I'm really excited to see all the rich guys new toys in a few weeks.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 17:38 (Ref:3606272)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
GT3 is great but costs are high.

In next coming years TCR will eat a chunk of the GT3 market.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 18:53 (Ref:3606305)   #11
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
Yes. Cherish it while it lasts, good things always come to an end. Just look at how it has reinvigorated national motorsports while also being a bridge to world wide motorsports. Nothing has done that in the past 30, 40 years.
Super Touring was pretty close, I'd say, though...
Old 19 Jan 2016, 19:24 (Ref:3606318)   #12
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
GT3 is great but costs are high.

In next coming years TCR will eat a chunk of the GT3 market.
Let´s see if we can see back touring cars doing long races.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 19:52 (Ref:3606330)   #13
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Let´s see if we can see back touring cars doing long races.
Already happening.
http://www.24hseries.com/24h-paul-ri...1-3-april-2016
Old 19 Jan 2016, 21:03 (Ref:3606368)   #14
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I'm sure SRO and company will work on the whole costs thing. They have a good thing with GT3. They won't want that to slip away from them. Did Dubai really need a 100 cars in the race? I just wonder if crevantic should get rid of the touring cars.

Isn't Bathurst doing that this year? Over half of the entry list for the 2016 is GT3 cars now and probably over 2/3 when you include the cup cars. A good thing I think because the 2015 Bathurst 12 had too many FCY's. My vote for worst race in 2015 (despite the finish). For me its the entire course of the race that matters.

So yeah that is why my favorite races are the SRO events because they are GT3 only. No GT4s, Cups, or TC's to worry about.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 21:09 (Ref:3606372)   #15
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are far too many clone GT3 series and races in the world already, the banning of the lower (and possible upper) classes only makes them more identical.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 21:40 (Ref:3606381)   #16
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I'm sure SRO and company will work on the whole costs thing. They have a good thing with GT3. They won't want that to slip away from them. Did Dubai really need a 100 cars in the race? I just wonder if crevantic should get rid of the touring cars.

Isn't Bathurst doing that this year? Over half of the entry list for the 2016 is GT3 cars now and probably over 2/3 when you include the cup cars. A good thing I think because the 2015 Bathurst 12 had too many FCY's. My vote for worst race in 2015 (despite the finish). For me its the entire course of the race that matters.

So yeah that is why my favorite races are the SRO events because they are GT3 only. No GT4s, Cups, or TC's to worry about.

I agree to the most part.

While I am automatically more interesting in watching GT3s in races like Dubai and Bathurst because they are fighting for the outright win (and the drivers are usually of a higher quality), I also see like to see some diversity on the grid.

Personally, for a tight track like Bathurst, I'd like to see less classes, but classes none the less. Personally, I'd love to see GT3, GT4, GTcup, and TCR. Nice mix of cars, but more sensible speed differentials
Old 19 Jan 2016, 22:37 (Ref:3606403)   #17
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Did Dubai really need a 100 cars in the race? I just wonder if Creventic should get rid of the touring cars.
They are in the first stages of this with three Touring Car only races planned for this year. I think we'll see largely separate series next year. Maybe 2-3 races with shared grids and the same number of TC and GT-only events.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 01:42 (Ref:3606436)   #18
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I see this cost control talk but then look at how many cars someone like Mercedes are delivering this year alone (36). That kinda defeats the notion these cars are too much to run. That's a big number and it's only this year. Who knows what they sell in 2017? If Ferrari wanna price the 488 at 500k, they risk losing customers to cheaper alternatives. That's how business works. Eventually if the cars are too much, some other make is going to put out a less expensive option and reap the rewards. So far, GT3 is very successful, it doesn't look like that's going to change. As far as my preference, I like pre-dtm Super GT and late 90's gt1.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 02:02 (Ref:3606441)   #19
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I agree to the most part.

While I am automatically more interesting in watching GT3s in races like Dubai and Bathurst because they are fighting for the outright win (and the drivers are usually of a higher quality), I also see like to see some diversity on the grid.

Personally, for a tight track like Bathurst, I'd like to see less classes, but classes none the less. Personally, I'd love to see GT3, GT4, GTcup, and TCR. Nice mix of cars, but more sensible speed differentials
I would like to see GT3, LMP3, CN and GT4
Old 20 Jan 2016, 05:22 (Ref:3606482)   #20
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I see this cost control talk but then look at how many cars someone like Mercedes are delivering this year alone (36). That kinda defeats the notion these cars are too much to run. That's a big number and it's only this year. Who knows what they sell in 2017? If Ferrari wanna price the 488 at 500k, they risk losing customers to cheaper alternatives. That's how business works. Eventually if the cars are too much, some other make is going to put out a less expensive option and reap the rewards. So far, GT3 is very successful, it doesn't look like that's going to change.
I haven't seen a price for the new AMG GT3, but am very curious to know what the price point is. Very interestingly, the new AMG GT3 keeps the exact same engine from the SLS GT3 which has to have helped with cost and make a known and reliable engine more attractive to customers. Why bother spending money making a more complicated or more powerful engine? It will only cost more and any gains will be offset by the BoP.

The teams at Audi, AMG and Porsche that sell a lot of units and can make the customer program a profit center are going to get very creative about price points and where to spend and stretch development resources. There might be other reasons (such as a GTE/GTLM program, but AMG has shown no interest to run there and BoP might crush any gains anyway).
Old 20 Jan 2016, 05:48 (Ref:3606485)   #21
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I just remember reading that the new Ferrari is kinda high, around 450-500k. Iirc, last gen cars and some new ones like the lambo are around 375k.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 08:32 (Ref:3606498)   #22
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lamborghini Huracán GT3: €369.000 excl. VAT (January 2015)
Audi R8 LMS GT3 Mk.II: €359.000 (€398.000 incl. starter and parts package) excl. VAT (September 2015)
Porsche 991 GT3R: €429.000 excl. VAT (July 2015)
BMW M6 GT3: €379.000 excl. VAT (August 2015)
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3: €397.460 (August 2010)

If anyone has a price for the AMG GT3 and 488 GT3, I'd like to know
Old 20 Jan 2016, 08:43 (Ref:3606499)   #23
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
TheDude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
Lamborghini Huracán GT3: €369.000 excl. VAT (January 2015)
Audi R8 LMS GT3 Mk.II: €359.000 (€398.000 incl. starter and parts package) excl. VAT (September 2015)
Porsche 991 GT3R: €429.000 excl. VAT (July 2015)
BMW M6 GT3: €379.000 excl. VAT (August 2015)
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3: €397.460 (August 2010)

If anyone has a price for the AMG GT3 and 488 GT3, I'd like to know
I saw somewhere that th e 488 was 550 - 560 K €
Old 20 Jan 2016, 09:40 (Ref:3606507)   #24
Deleted
Veteran

LMP3 with half the price tag and seemingly wide array of places to go now, and that number ever increasing, may start luring people away from GT3. Which in my view would be a very welcomed development.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 10:44 (Ref:3606527)   #25
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
LMP3 with half the price tag and seemingly wide array of places to go now, and that number ever increasing, may start luring people away from GT3. Which in my view would be a very welcomed development.
At least it would be if LMP3 wasn't an even more boring formula than GT3.