Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Oct 2000, 10:24 (Ref:41604)   #1
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
FIA safety boss Charlie Whiting has warned that any driver who interferes with the battle for the championship could receive a ban next season.

At the drivers’ briefing on Friday, Whiting said any driver who deliberately spoils the race for either Mika Hakkinen or Michael Schumacher would face sanctions.

How are they going to enforce this, when does a slower car racing for postion become a car interfering with the title contenters, so they are not allowed to block the inside line going into corners but simply let them past come on thats racing doesnt seem to me it has been thought out too much and just rushed in.For me it is wrong to say everybody should jump out of the way when either TGF or MH come up behind is unbelieveable why dont they just let them race on there own if thats the case.
How many times have we seen blocking in the past ?(recently) infact the only times I can recall it has been a Ferrari doing the blocking now a Ferrari gets blocked and the next race they suddenly decide it is illegal not more Ferrari favourtism I hope.
When Ferrari do it F1 is a team sport when McLaren do it its not
Old 7 Oct 2000, 10:36 (Ref:41608)   #2
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a bit confused by this. I read the statement from Charlie Whiting and thought it COULD be directed solely at backmarkers, but it is quite ambiguous and COULD be construed to mean any blocking at all. If the latter is the case then we can only assume that the FIA are definately chasing a Ferrari win in the WDC. I was under the impression that all the drivers were there to race, and I remember no such regulatory measure at last years finale, where Ferrari(surprising this) would gain from blocking a WDC contender. I haven't really gone along with this 'Ferrari get favouritism from FIA' rumour/feeling but this stinks.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 11:03 (Ref:41613)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

I agree - I think Charlie should clarify his statement. Either that , or just have two cars in the race, and leave the others in the pits. Quite honestly, I think poor Charlie has lost his marbles.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 11:34 (Ref:41616)   #4
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Whiting’s words will be particularly aimed at the title rivals’ number two drivers, David Coulthard and Rubens Barrichello. Both have said they expect to be deployed by their teams to frustrate the oppostion.

Ralf Schumacher said: "Charlie Whiting told us he would not allow it and he is right. It should be a straight fight between Michael (Schumacher) and Mika (Hakkinen).

“It is right that the guys who interfere with it get punished. A three-race ban would be about right."

The FIA could encounter difficulties deciding what sort of driving is improper and what is permissible. It is unlikely the FIA would come down on Barrichello or Coulthard unless they break the rules or drive in an unsporting manner.
Thought I'd better supply the rest of it .
Old 7 Oct 2000, 11:41 (Ref:41618)   #5
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well there you go then, the FIA are actively interfering to gain Ferrari a WDC. This stinks utterly. This has really f*cked me off.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 18:26 (Ref:41652)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee, they didn't issue anything like that in 1997 when Jacques was leading Micheal going into the second last race of the year in Suzuka. And at Jerez, a Sauber did block JV.

Oh Well, in Cart they black flag slow drivers from holding up faster ones even when it is for position.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 20:11 (Ref:41669)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think they were aiming this warning particularly at three drivers:

DC
Rubens
Ralf

All three have some sort of interest in who wins the championship.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 21:52 (Ref:41682)   #8
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It quite obviously hasn't been thought through, or maybe it has but by Jean Todt. How can they justify having only the last two GP's as having this special status. For this to be morally correct they would have to have singled out MH and MS at the beginiing of the season as the likely championship contenders, and told everyone to get out of their way at every race.

Imust admit to being a believer in the Ferrari bias since Silverstone '98, but i'm sure this isn't clouding my opinions. Read this FIA: THIS IS DISPICABLE FAVOURATISM.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 23:51 (Ref:41704)   #9
Dhru
Rookie

Dhru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hold on here. What I think this means is that if you are ahead of either Mika/Michael ie. racing for position and behind the other, you aren't allowed to start lapping a couple of seconds slower than your car is able to go, just to allow the person in front build up a lead, and hold up the car behind. However, if you are in the same situation and are lapping at a reasonable pace for your car, then you are doing nothing wrong. If this is the case then I suppose it makes some sense because the last thing anyone wants (except the benefactor) is to have half the field bunched up behind a no. 2 and the other half being lapped by the race winner. However, I still think that the WC should have to prove his worth by overtaking, it's not as if it's impossible.
Dhru.