Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Oct 2010, 03:03 (Ref:2771204)   #901
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf sun View Post
Could think of worse places to spend my time.
There must be some interesting stories lurking in some of the houses around the old circuit...

"Get off the apex dear, tea's ready"
You have been busy!
Old 8 Oct 2010, 06:25 (Ref:2771251)   #902
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Can someone out there post a overhead pic of the old track.I would love to know which part of the original circuit these photo,s are from.Cheers.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 07:07 (Ref:2771271)   #903
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just follow the road from the Ster Roundabout,go straight on instead of turning into the Outer Paddock. Keep on that road,after about 3km you start dropping down the hill after Le Combe,round the sharpish left hander down past Meiz on the right. This long downhill section takes you into a long right hander,this is Burnenville.Keep going straight along the dual section to the junction,straight on takes you to the Masta Kink,theres a Friterie in front of on of the buildings on the left,keep going straight onto the present circuit.

Wait a minuit,I'll try and find a map.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2771296)   #904
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Iain, you can pick it out quite well on Google maps.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 08:37 (Ref:2771313)   #905
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I know im just being lazy Joe.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 08:47 (Ref:2771325)   #906
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
wolf sun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll keep my mouth shut, otherwise I'm going to elaborate for hours on the details of the old track...(hell, I'm too young to be a geek...=O)
Old 8 Oct 2010, 10:00 (Ref:2771358)   #907
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Can someone out there post a overhead pic of the old track.I would love to know which part of the original circuit these photo,s are from.Cheers.
http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/id/2411

A good starting point. Make slightly smaller to see the line of the old track, zoom in for details.

I have seen another site which is more specific but need to go looking for it again.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2771362)   #908
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I know that Bristow did...not sure about Stacey, that might have been further round the circuit...

John, Marcus Mussa, others, too - I'd like to hear more of your pre-79 Spa experiences, spectating, competing, whatever. Any chance of a new thread in the history section...?
You can start a thread called "Spa memories" or something like that - I hate starting threads because the thread starter's name remains for ever and people might then get the impression that I never do any work...

Marcus
Old 8 Oct 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2771415)   #909
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Given the event cost think reliability high on the 'important' list!
Check out that quick and reliable Elan on p20. Must be just a bit more expensive to run than the 'boring' B. It may have a slightly smaller fueltank but it is a good deal quicker.

SRs at Spa6 hrs race: mmmmhhhh . . . I like it this way.

And except from some pretty obvious modded cars - :cough: what is said in the paddocks stays in the paddocks - I think the diversity of this years race was very appealing.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2771563)   #910
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
You can start a thread called "Spa memories" or something like that - I hate starting threads because the thread starter's name remains for ever and people might then get the impression that I never do any work...

Marcus
...that's what I had in mind, down to the title. Thought it a bit strange to start a thread, however, when I can't really contribute except for the odd question here and there...

If nobody else does it, I'll start it eventually...
Old 8 Oct 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2771565)   #911
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
If someone is thinking of starting an historic Spa thread can you hang on for a couple of weeks untill i get back from Portimao and Montiblanco. Thanks.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2771606)   #912
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
...that's what I had in mind, down to the title. Thought it a bit strange to start a thread, however, when I can't really contribute except for the odd question here and there...

If nobody else does it, I'll start it eventually...
You could call it "Marcus Mussa's Spa memories". ....

That way Marcus still gets the main credit but it would always be possible to claim the content was produced via interviews during a hectic business schedule ....

Or something like that.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 21:35 (Ref:2771685)   #913
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

OOOH that is clever.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2771709)   #914
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

That way Marcus still gets the main credit but it would always be possible to claim the content was produced via interviews during a hectic business schedule ....

Or something like that.
An afterthought - could we persuade Marcus Pye to put his name to the interviews? That should give us a credible marketable commodity the 'profits' from which might fund the provision of a 'lounge' of some sort for next year's 6 hour meeting. Preferably something waterproof - just in case. Members and contributors only, naturally.

I can see the promotional material now - "Memories of Spa by Marcus and Marcus".

Old 9 Oct 2010, 08:00 (Ref:2771835)   #915
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
If someone is thinking of starting an historic Spa thread can you hang on for a couple of weeks untill i get back from Portimao and Montiblanco. Thanks.
Portimao! See you there. What car do you drive Delta?
Old 9 Oct 2010, 08:07 (Ref:2771839)   #916
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
In case Iain has left already,it's the white and blue barge Albert.[You should get plenty of time for any photos you want to take]
Old 9 Oct 2010, 08:14 (Ref:2771842)   #917
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

Or something like that.

Or even "A very busy Marcus Mussa's Spa memories, as told to a German ne'er-do-well with lots of free time on his hands, although we put Marcus Pye's name on the cover for marketing reasons (and a waterproof lounge)"

Or is that too long?
Old 9 Oct 2010, 08:26 (Ref:2771849)   #918
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Or even "A very busy Marcus Mussa's Spa memories, as told to a German ne'er-do-well with lots of free time on his hands, although we put Marcus Pye's name on the cover for marketing reasons (and a waterproof lounge)"

Or is that too long?
It would sound better in German as we can probably get it all into one word...
Alternatively I could start a thread on a Sunday and contribute only on Sundays? This means I can actually write it during office hours, as usual, and post it on the Sunday.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 08:49 (Ref:2771856)   #919
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
Quote:
Alternatively I could start a thread on a Sunday and contribute only on Sundays? This means I can actually write it during office hours, as usual, and post it on the Sunday.
Two words. At least two words.

I suggest that we start with a thread concerned solely with the planning of the other thread. That would make everything a lot easier, and we'd be absolutely ready to immediately get into action as soon as the other thread starts, provided it is on a Sunday. Maybe we'd have to set up a working group to deal with and set up a procedure for working days, Bank Holiday Mondays, etc...hmm, on the other hand, maybe we shouldn't rush it.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 08:56 (Ref:2771861)   #920
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And a steering committee, no matter what happens there must be a steering commitee. I have absolutely no idea what for, but it must be the right thing to do when dealing with Automotive concerns.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 10:25 (Ref:2771896)   #921
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I like the thinking here.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2771901)   #922
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Two words. At least two words.

I suggest that we start with a thread concerned solely with the planning of the other thread. That would make everything a lot easier, and we'd be absolutely ready to immediately get into action as soon as the other thread starts, provided it is on a Sunday. Maybe we'd have to set up a working group to deal with and set up a procedure for working days, Bank Holiday Mondays, etc...hmm, on the other hand, maybe we shouldn't rush it.
Perfect for the 21st century and I think SAMD is well attuned to the needs as well.

What is important is not necessarily doing something, at this stage, but to be seen to be doing something. That is the thread that would attract funding.

Meanwhile the real thread could just bumble along in the background as usual providing interest and enertainment without commercial pressures.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2772085)   #923
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
It's - Long Way Down by Young Sportsmen

Re the backing track to the footage posted by Ian - It is not by the Young Sportsmen, it is by Diving Reflex entitled "All that you are". Well worth a download
Old 10 Oct 2010, 11:04 (Ref:2772527)   #924
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Esper and Mark:

Esper screaming the straight six through La Source.

Lovely sliding action, comes standard on a Big H. Esper adds a bit more drama to his driving stylee . . . which I like!
Old 10 Oct 2010, 12:38 (Ref:2772583)   #925
ClassicRacingTV
Rookie

Netherlands
ClassicRacingTV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That was Bonnier - and this is the place:

Did anyone notice the collection of old 5 series Bimmers that seem to rot away just beside that house? First noticed them a couple of years (?) ago, and they're still there. Might come in handy for the Six Hours 2030...
I noticed them too. In a couple of years there's no floorpan left...