Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Oct 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2774077)   #926
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
One for Mr.Wills...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vincent_martin/5037395484/

No, not mine.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 00:47 (Ref:2774104)   #927
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post

Hmm. Some very nice shots on the Flickr stream and the related web site.

One of the things about Mr. Wills and circuit shots is his high availability. Point the camera at the track and press the shutter button randomly for a few minutes and there's a good chance of RW being in a few frames.

Old 13 Oct 2010, 08:13 (Ref:2774202)   #928
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'll be properly impressed when he's driving 2 cars at the same time
Old 13 Oct 2010, 08:43 (Ref:2774215)   #929
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, he's certainly driven two cars in the same race .... just not at the same time .... yet!
Old 13 Oct 2010, 18:29 (Ref:2774488)   #930
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
wolf sun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While going through my Six Hour pictures, I came across those two of Brian Jolliffe(spelling?) getting it wrong at Les Combes...

...but luckily hitting nothing.

Old 13 Oct 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2774489)   #931
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
...and a mushroom...

Old 13 Oct 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2774492)   #932
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf sun View Post
...and a mushroom...

Is this what the guys that sign off some of the 6 hour cars HTP's eat?
Old 16 Oct 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2775818)   #933
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
Something a bit different:

Stereo recording of cars approaching Rivage during the Six Hours race. Works best with headphones...anybody able to name the cars?
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 RivageBraking.mp3 (1.86 MB, 15 views)
Old 16 Oct 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2775822)   #934
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf sun View Post
Something a bit different:

Stereo recording of cars approaching Rivage during the Six Hours race. Works best with headphones...anybody able to name the cars?
Nice.

I could foresee another competition thread from this, though I'm not sure now many people would have sound tracks avialable.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2775893)   #935
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I loved Wolf Sun's audio clip. It reminded me of another clip I have on my PC, back from the days when F1 Ferraris had V12 engines - turn the volume up...

http://www.alanmorgan.plus.com/F1Ferrari1[1].mp3

Sorry - nothing whatsoever to do with the Six Hours, and I know the cars had paddle shifts, but if that doesn't give you goosebumps, then, well maybe you should be thinking about taking up indoor bowls...

Last edited by Alan Morgan; 16 Oct 2010 at 21:07. Reason: Clarification
Old 17 Oct 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2776018)   #936
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Guys, I really, really, REALLY will be splitting this lot up soon into different threads. Now what was this thread about? Oh, yeah, Spa!
Old 17 Oct 2010, 09:46 (Ref:2776088)   #937
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
OK, that's done it; the helmets have gone to another place!:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125180

And I still might split off the discussion re Photography technique too, despite what Grant says!
Old 17 Oct 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2776139)   #938
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Bitten the bullet. Photo chat here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125183
Old 17 Oct 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2776276)   #939
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
what about a motorsport music thread

its going to be histrionic regardless!
Old 17 Oct 2010, 20:37 (Ref:2776294)   #940
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I loved Wolf Sun's audio clip. It reminded me of another clip I have on my PC, back from the days when F1 Ferraris had V12 engines - turn the volume up...

Sorry - nothing whatsoever to do with the Six Hours, and I know the cars had paddle shifts, but if that doesn't give you goosebumps, then, well maybe you should be thinking about taking up indoor bowls...
Somewhere up in the loft I've got a record "The Sounds of Grand Prix" - I know, sad, but it's all there was for entertainment in the 60s. One of the sounds was cars going through the Masta Kink - he said hurriedly coming back on thread before JT notices Cooper Maserati, Ferrari, BRM etc etc. If I can work out how to convert it to mp3 I'll get it on my web site.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2776361)   #941
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Somewhere up in the loft I've got a record "The Sounds of Grand Prix" - I know, sad, but it's all there was for entertainment in the 60s. One of the sounds was cars going through the Masta Kink - he said hurriedly coming back on thread before JT notices Cooper Maserati, Ferrari, BRM etc etc. If I can work out how to convert it to mp3 I'll get it on my web site.
Is this a 'record' as in a vinyl thing, round, black, grooves and all?

Do you still have one of those funny motor driven devices that used to spin the disk around and attempted to slice them up with a needle?

If so, depending on th output from the cartridge, it may be a case of plugging the leads into to the 'Line In' of a computer sound card and setting a Audio ripping device to work with 'Line In' and then just play the disk. Or it may not. Much depends on output levels from the cartridge.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 23:38 (Ref:2776362)   #942
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post

Lovely sounds Alan. Enjoyed that. Thanks.

Every now and again I hear similar through my 'office' window. It helps the day go by.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 01:31 (Ref:2776379)   #943
delcomb
Rookie

Canada
Chatham, Ontario
delcomb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddelcomb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
If I can work out how to convert it to mp3 I'll get it on my web site.
I transferred some LPs to mp3 a while ago. You have to use the output from an amplifier that the turntable is connected to. The output from the turntable needs a pre-amp plus equalization before getting sampled. I connected my amp line-out to the line-in on my PC sound system (light blue connector). You will need an RCA-to-1/8 stereo adapter to connect the two. Use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to capture the signal. You can edit inside Audacity to eliminate any pops. It uses the LAME mp3 encoder which you have to download separately. The Audacity Wiki has instructions and sources for mp3 encoding. I had to play around a bit to figure out how to get good quality sound.

Doug E.
'61 Dreossi Canada Class
Old 18 Oct 2010, 09:13 (Ref:2776532)   #944
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If so, depending on th output from the cartridge, it may be a case of plugging the leads into to the 'Line In' of a computer sound card and setting a Audio ripping device to work with 'Line In' and then just play the disk. Or it may not. Much depends on output levels from the cartridge.[/QUOTE]

There is a device you can buy. My nephew bought me a 'Vinyl-to-MP3 Turntable' last Christmas to convert the juke box records to MP3. It's made in China by ION and is called the Contour LP. Don't know the cost as it was a gift but I'm sure Mr Google will know.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2776570)   #945
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcomb View Post
I transferred some LPs to mp3 a while ago. You have to use the output from an amplifier that the turntable is connected to. The output from the turntable needs a pre-amp plus equalization before getting sampled. I connected my amp line-out to the line-in on my PC sound system (light blue connector). You will need an RCA-to-1/8 stereo adapter to connect the two. Use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to capture the signal. You can edit inside Audacity to eliminate any pops. It uses the LAME mp3 encoder which you have to download separately. The Audacity Wiki has instructions and sources for mp3 encoding. I had to play around a bit to figure out how to get good quality sound.

Doug E.
'61 Dreossi Canada Class
Hi Doug!

Welcome to the forum.

I cheated a bit and got a deck that offered direct output compatibility. (Not the ION mentioned by morninggents, that was not around at the time.) It mostly worked well, though it did pick up some audible bearing rumble in the gaps between tracks - authentic for period I thought!

For 60s/70s vinyl the results were interesting. Some of the disks sounded much better played on that turntable and converted to MP3. Others showed up just how poor the original recordings were, though the results were much the same as listening to the same albums on their subsequent CD releases. Which, I suppose, is an indication that the conversion to MP3 is really quite successful!
Old 18 Oct 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2776608)   #946
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgot to mention that the ION conversion from vinyl to MP3 works really well. You get all the hiss and crackle from the original record.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2776624)   #947
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Is this a 'record' as in a vinyl thing, round, black, grooves and all?

Do you still have one of those funny motor driven devices that used to spin the disk around and attempted to slice them up with a needle?
Ah, hadn't thought of that, not sure if I have LOL!

Mr Turner, my apologies, you'd just got rid of the peripherals to other threads and now I've got them talkign about audio things
Old 18 Oct 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2776643)   #948
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
Uh-Huh, I'm desperately trying to keep shtumm on the subject, hahaha.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 13:51 (Ref:2776665)   #949
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I hear an AUDIBLE self sigh of self resignation, or is that little man in my head revving up to persuade me toward yet another new thread.
Old 19 Oct 2010, 07:02 (Ref:2776971)   #950
midgetman
Veteran

If you did John, would that be a RECORD? I hope you don't think there's any NEEDLE going on here. We're just getting in the GROOVE on this subject. And that's my VINYL word.

Sorry.