Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 14 Nov 2002, 17:45 (Ref:428613)   #1
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who owns which...........

.......Circuits !
Obviously it's widely known that Octagon (ultimately Interpublic) own Brands, Snetterton, Cadwell and Oulton but who owns the rest of the Uk's circuits, I'm interested to know a little bit of ownership history (purely because I'm nosey) for example Mallory was quite easy to find from 1955 to about 1982/3 when Titan Properties bought it, now I think they might have been Chris Meek's company who was a club racer in the 70's ? (I believe he raced a De Tomaso Pantera)but does he still own it? And what about those other circuits around the country?
Old 14 Nov 2002, 18:10 (Ref:428631)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont Octagon also own Silverstone?
Old 14 Nov 2002, 18:42 (Ref:428661)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe Meek owns Mallory via Postcastle Properties - the new Medical Centre bears his name, as does his hideous hospitality suite in the paddock. And don't forget Fantasy Island, in the big lake. He likes to hang out there...
Old 14 Nov 2002, 19:19 (Ref:428688)   #4
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Octagon opperate SIlverstone on a lease from the BRDC who own the freehold of the site.

Donington Park is opperated by Clear Channel on a long term lease from a Tom Wheatcroft company. Clear Channel is an american entetainments group currently facing an "enron" style financail scandle.

BARC own Thruxton and operate Pembrey on a long term lease from the local council.

Hope the above helps.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 19:57 (Ref:428711)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lydden is owned by McLaren who want to build a factory on it, Brooklands is owned by Daimler, Crystal Palace is owned by the GLA.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 11:10 (Ref:429078)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Lydden is owned by McLaren, but they DON'T want to build a factory on it. The factory is being built on adjoining land also owned by McLaren
Old 15 Nov 2002, 11:35 (Ref:429102)   #7
Slowcoach
Racer

So far so good, thanks guys.......what about Castle Combe ? and Croft - there's been a lot of money spent there recently , only thing I could find was 'Bill Chaytor' buying it in 1982.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 13:14 (Ref:429178)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Combe is owned by Howard Strawford...

Stange that one man can invest so heavily in a circuit.. whereas the global power of Octogan just can't seem to manage it!
Old 15 Nov 2002, 13:21 (Ref:429184)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The problem with Octagon is they have been forced by the FIA to spend heavily on Silverstone, both the circuit and infrastructure and at the same time had two low income Grand Prix due to restricting the gate numbers. In many ways it really isn't of their making. However, I take your point Dan.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 13:32 (Ref:429189)   #10
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daimler own some units on Brooklands only!
I thought Mallory was still owned by the Overends??
Does Richard Peacock own Anglesey anyone?
Jurby - Tom??
Old 15 Nov 2002, 13:58 (Ref:429211)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
Does Richard Peacock own Anglesey anyone?
Anglesey is owned by Bodorgan estates - I don't know any more than that, but Richard Peacock may, of course, be the owner of that company.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 17:35 (Ref:429372)   #12
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, the Overends don't own Mallory, but they 'are' Mallory Park Motorsport. Meek has owned it for getting on for 20 years, he rescued it after it closed in the early 1980s for a short while.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 18:43 (Ref:429424)   #13
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Croft is owned by the Peitch family, who have extensive property and business interests in the north east.
Old 16 Nov 2002, 00:43 (Ref:429662)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we should buy a circuit - oh hang on that takes cash!
Old 16 Nov 2002, 18:15 (Ref:430042)   #15
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the local farmer not own the land that Thruxton curcuit is on ? And BARC rent from .....Not sure..
Old 17 Nov 2002, 17:22 (Ref:430608)   #16
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think BARC own it..
Old 18 Nov 2002, 10:31 (Ref:431158)   #17
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC don't own Thruxton. Apparently a rich individual with a passion for flying, hence why the airfield is still operational. Possibly ex-RAF, may indeed be the farmer Rick mentioned. Also BARC do not have an official contract on Thruxton as I understand it, just an "agreement".
Old 18 Nov 2002, 16:41 (Ref:431460)   #18
Slowcoach
Racer

Ok, so thats most of the circuits in Britain covered, lets take this one stage further and follow on to what ss collins said.....if 'we' were to buy a circuit what thoughts do you all have as to which would be good to go for but there are some criteria, lets assume we aren't multi millionaires so would have to borrow a large chunk of cash and pay it back to a bank, so proper business plans etc... which means profit has to be made! So which circuit might be best, one of the privately owned ones or prise one away from Octagon - would Octagon even sell one?
Old 18 Nov 2002, 23:38 (Ref:431834)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Octagon need to make money so may be willing to part with a venue. I say Brands, proper circuit which is good for all involved, also can be a serious revenue generator during the week as its got such a reputation and is so close to london - for that reason its too expensive. Snet/pembrey miles from anywhere and decent tracks if on the short side, but due to location not so much scope for revenue generation. Silverstone - not worth the hassle. Perhaps we should do what they did in scotland, build a dedicated motorsports facility offering venues for most disciplines and levels. Castle Combe and we extend it - maybe into the infield! a good motorsports museum to drag th kids in off the M4, and some event every day to generate cash.
Old 26 Nov 2002, 17:38 (Ref:437367)   #20
Spinner
Racer

Spinner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Croft is not owned by the Petch family, its owned by a man called Trevor ..... Forgotton his last name, ill find out for you.It is sponsored by the Petch family,Pace cars, boardings etc. The pit buildings were in conjunction with McAlpine, who built the McAlpine stadium in Huddersfield
Old 26 Nov 2002, 23:58 (Ref:437601)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
croft is owned by a bloke called trev - oddly fitting don't you think? Brands should be owned by someone named Colin I think.
Old 27 Nov 2002, 01:39 (Ref:437640)   #22
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Sowman
No, the Overends don't own Mallory, but they 'are' Mallory Park Motorsport. Meek has owned it for getting on for 20 years, he rescued it after it closed in the early 1980s for a short while.
Purchased it on the cheap from Brands Hatch didn't he?
Old 27 Nov 2002, 19:53 (Ref:438181)   #23
Ian Sowman
Veteran

That's right - when Brands didn't want it any more.