Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2000, 15:19 (Ref:41465)   #1
s98sadds
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
s98sadds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The Black McLaren at Indy rumour that started on the independant Ferrari message board has been a hot topic for conversation. Well now they have the picture of this so called black McLaren for you to decide if this is truth or rumour!

Link:

http://ferrari.rivals.net/default.as...2&stid=8003419
Old 6 Oct 2000, 15:58 (Ref:41468)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone really think that the European press would not notice if McLaren arrived at Indy 3 weeks early? No one would notice if Hakkinen or Coutlthard or Panis wasn't around for their mormal testing duties? Does anyone believe that McLaren could keep something so large as transporting a car and support gear and crew from England to America a secret? I find it very hard to believe. I know that Robin Miller, Indianapolis based racing reporter would have questioned it had it occurred. I find it very unlikely even McLaren could have pulled this off. Most likely the pics are of McLaren on the normal practice day or possibly at another track. The origin of the information does not lend the pictures any credibility either.
Old 6 Oct 2000, 16:02 (Ref:41470)   #3
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'd go along with the text under thew photo. That is the most inconclusive piece of 'evidence' I have ever seen. It's just a Mclaren in a dark picture, surely.....and it could be any circuit in the world.
Old 6 Oct 2000, 17:54 (Ref:41483)   #4
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And what did they do at that site?
Decide they'd send the most brainless one, roaming all over the net to show the 'evidence' all those blinded tifosi love to see race by race? Get outtahere, go watch soccer and stop thinking you're even an inch into F1.

I know that picture. It's from the Dutch F1-photographer Frits van Eldik and can be found at the site of the magazine he works for http://www.formule1.nl and was taken at the Nurburgring IIRC.
To be frank I featured the exact same photgraph a few months ago at the Technical Forum in a topic about exhaust systems, as this was the best one I came across to point out the incredible engineering job of moving the exhaust underneath the gearbox, exiting into one pipe in the bottom of the central part of the diffuser.

Old 6 Oct 2000, 18:36 (Ref:41486)   #5
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I didn't recollect correctly ...
It's not a van Eldik-picture, although I scanned his work looking for a rear end pic of the Mac. This picture is from a gallery of http://www.mclaren.net and it indeed was taken at the Nurburgring. The car isn't black by any means either, it's just the non-tobacco livery they featured there.

Here's the link to the tech thread:
upper exhausts aero aid?.
Right clickinmg the picture, choosing properties will tell you were it's original from. McLaren.net of all places. That surely would be the last place any tifosi would look, right?
Old 6 Oct 2000, 18:45 (Ref:41488)   #6
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well of course it's a mclaren. But if you take a close look at the picture it's pretty clear that it was edited. For example. Notice that in the rear wing where it usually says "west" there's a "shadow". Besides....it would be pretty stupid to do something like that but leave the car with the same color scheme.

This reminds me of a guy that had an anti-schu page and claimed that schu had used traction control in monaco 99 and that he had proof. His proof was a "qustionable" pic of schus car with a green (yes green) glow comming from the rear brake disc. To this piece of evidence somebody answered "the only thing that glows green is kryptonite".
Old 6 Oct 2000, 19:16 (Ref:41502)   #7
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well That Told Him !

I dont believe for one minute that any team would choose to cheat in F1 (even Ferrari lol).
Its about taking the rules and regulations to the limit which by next year most of the teams will have firmly reached .
To suggest the above is absolutely laughable sad thing is he probably believed it
Old 6 Oct 2000, 20:21 (Ref:41508)   #8
greigmur
Rookie

greigmur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant seem to find this pic on the McLaren site at all!! good you be mistaken again, to the guy who says he believed it well read the article and you might see that he did not believe it and was basically killing the rumour that had been going on.
Old 6 Oct 2000, 20:24 (Ref:41510)   #9
greigmur
Rookie

Also since when did they run without correct livery at Nurburgring? last time I saw the cars all ran with their official livery!
Old 6 Oct 2000, 20:29 (Ref:41511)   #10
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Old 6 Oct 2000, 20:32 (Ref:41514)   #11
greigmur
Rookie

How mature, nice way to dicuss things! should have realised I was dealing with a child.
Old 6 Oct 2000, 23:55 (Ref:41546)   #12
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Chill out !

Sorry I didnt really see as anything was worthy of a reply !
Quote:
to the guy who says he believed it well read the article and you might see that he did not believe it and was basically killing the rumour that had been going on.

I was refering to s98sadds who posted it.
So do you really think it's a picture of a McLaren in the US 3 weeks before the GP.
I thought enough was already said on the matter.
Old 6 Oct 2000, 23:58 (Ref:41549)   #13
greigmur
Rookie

No I think the picture it totally fake, I doubt anyone could believe McLaren could turn up at Indy and proceed to test without anyone taking a bit of notice.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 00:09 (Ref:41552)   #14
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Well

Well then enough said !
Some facts might be missing a bit but but looking at it, it looks heavly edited to me.
Just like lots of photographs on the net give me time and I'll show you a photograph of TGF in a ferrari racing down the M1.(that was said in jest as I can't be bothered really)
Old 7 Oct 2000, 00:22 (Ref:41554)   #15
Dhru
Rookie

Dhru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much as I'd love to believe, I don't. I'm sure McLaren are capable, but even I'm not that blind. Besides, if McLaren were cheating, I doubt htey'd make it so obvious, it would be next to impossible to get proof (talking Tom Cruise lengths here). However did you know that in Pre-season testing, from this year all cars had to be regulation cars, ie to FIA specifications. All teams are known to produce dodgy parts at the beggining of the season (supposedly so they know if another team is cheating and how) and the McLaren mechanics sent it along to the testing, and luckily for Ron, it was noticed before the cars ran, and therfore the team weren't thrown out of this year's championship. Now wouldn't that have been news? It would probably have made life in the pitlane a bit more sedate, but it would have been worth it just to see Ron Dennis trying to explain it to his sponsers, Mercedes and to the F1 fans. Oh, I can see it it now, he'd be speaking through clenched teeth trying to stop himself from shouting, and trying to pin it on a Ferrari sabotage, and trying to convince everyone that Ferrari planted a McLaren dodgy part on the cars.
Well I can dream can't I? He'll get his one day. (Hopefully soon.)
Dhru.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 03:59 (Ref:41569)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i agree, that if any F1 team cheat, it wouldnt be so obvious. Unfortunately, F1 is such an advanced sports, the ruling body has no way of keeping up to date with what the teams are developing, and cheating parts are usually unfounded. Perhaps the only way FIA could keep in touch with the teams in terms of technology is to field its own F1 team, and run it just like any other teams, so that they could keep up with the changes.!~
Well....i AM dreaming...
Old 7 Oct 2000, 04:43 (Ref:41572)   #17
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, that would actually be a nightmare of the highest proportions....you'd have the FIA team complaining about the race package to Bernie and Max's FIA, and you'd also have Bernie and Max allieviating fears about overtaking...to themselves!

On second though, this could be a dream...quite entertaining.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 07:37 (Ref:41590)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Next we will see a UFO in front of the McLaren to assist it to pass the Ferrari by picking it off the circuit and depositing it half way further along the circuit. All cameras will be zapped by zeta rays from the UFO so that photographic evidence will be corrupted, and then the Ferrari will be further zapped by mega laser rays to melt one of its wheels to make it look like a collapsed wheel.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 09:59 (Ref:41601)   #19
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Valve Bounce thats some imagination you've got there.LOL
Old 7 Oct 2000, 19:35 (Ref:41664)   #20
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn...it's pretty hard to take out the Ferrari's nowadays...I remember when Zonta or Trulli or Fisi would thwack them off the track, or even when one of the Ferrari's would just thwack another car and take themselves out. Now you gotta get all the aliens into it.

Although Bernie does look like an alien...