Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Oct 2000, 10:28 (Ref:41605)   #1
Blackjack
Rookie

Blackjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA race director Charlie Whiting has made it clear to all the starters of Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix that should they hold up the battling championship rivals, then they can expect a three-race ban. Seemingly the FIA takes the view that the remaining 19 competitors are simply there to make up the numbers and should stay well clear of the leaders.

Just what does this mean? Is F1 racing all about Sch-me and Hakkinen? Let's suppose Sch-me stalls again on the grid and is moved to the back of the pack. Do all the drivers in front of him have to move over and let him pass simply because he is battling for the championship? Should they give up their race positions because they are not involved in the battle?

It would seem to me, that if a contender finds himself back in the pack, and can't make back to the front, that is his problem! Moving over to let him pass, is assisting him in the race for the championship. Why should Whiting say this now; a couple of races ago del la Rosa held up Hakkinen for many laps - rightfully so - causing Hakkinen to lose ground against Sch-me? Nothing was said about this as it was just racing.

My read of this statement is that it applies to all race conditions, not just the back markers. Additionally, it is about five years too late, and shows' F1 racing is really only about two teams.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 10:39 (Ref:41609)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

Actually, I found this announcement very confusing. Is he talking about cars about to be lapped? If so, tehn I totally agree with him. If not, then any car has just as much right to fight for track position and championship points. Let me clarify - if Mazza was in front of TGF at any stage, why should he not fight for track position and try to get as high as possible on the finishers. Charlie should clarify his outburst; why should things be different during this race from any other? Why should the fines or penalties be any different?
Old 7 Oct 2000, 11:42 (Ref:41619)   #3
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Thoughts exactly, ironic it was TGF blocked at the last race isn't it.
Have a look at thread Blocking ?
Old 7 Oct 2000, 12:05 (Ref:41621)   #4
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By Billy_Hunt
Quote:
My Thoughts exactly, ironic it was TGF blocked at the last race isn't it.
Not so much on who's being blocked the last time.
The real culiprit is a certain Mr. Loud Mouth who keeps hinting that he will do "something" to the Schumacher/Ferrari Team that could have prompted the worried race director to introduce the new rulings. Even in the qualifying press conference he's implying at that again.("Best seat in the house...who knows what will happen??")

The rules will not stop the team tactics. F1 is a team sport, not an individual sport. We can expect to see deliberate blockings again if the no 2 drivers have a chance to do so. However, if any intentional moves that force the drivers out of the race, the guilty party could expect nothing less than a ban.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 12:09 (Ref:41622)   #5
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What, like MS in'97 and '94....?
Old 7 Oct 2000, 12:21 (Ref:41625)   #6
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By angst
Quote:
What, like MS in'97 and '94....?
Exactly. I thought MS got off lightly last time because there wasn't any clear ruling on that. This time things will be different.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 22:45 (Ref:41693)   #7
Dhru
Rookie

Dhru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe that anyone should move out of the way, unless there is a potentially dangerous situation, like the Three Car Trick at Spa this year, if Zonta was out of the way then it would have been a less dangerous move, or Coulthard at Spa in '98. However, if it's a question of racing for position, then let the title contender prove his worth and overtake. The same goes for negotiating backmarkers, if you're about to lap them then you should be quick enough to overtake them. I understand that it might be a different case if say Ruben's or DC is about to be lapped by Mika or Michael, but both should be capable of passing Gene and Mazacanne (although Indy and Monza gave me serious doubts about Hakinnen's ability to pass Mazacanne).
Dhru.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 22:59 (Ref:41696)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Dhru, you may not understand it, but the design of F1 cars, especially those gigantic rear billboards make it very difficult for even a slower car to be ovrtaken at many circuits if he does not move over. Once a car moves at full speed off the racing line in a corner, there is a lot of rubber debris called marbles, which makes road holding a gamble. Cars being lapped should move over, and the race directors have a good opportunity to instruct team managers through some audio link to inform drivers of the fact they are about to be lapped and to move over. However, fighting for position is different, and a car should NOT be expected to move over - and I specifically refer to Mazza who under no circumstances should have been expected to move over for Mika or anyone else at Indy. Good on Mazza - I congratulate him.
Old 8 Oct 2000, 00:27 (Ref:41707)   #9
Dhru
Rookie

Dhru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you that Maza was right to stay in front of Mika, and I'm glad he did. And I understand that it is harder to overtake slower cars in front, (JV fiasco earlier in the year). But I don't know why Hakinnen makes such a mess of trying to overtake the backmarkers. In Monza, both Mika and Michael lost time behind Gaston when lapping him, but Mika was behind him for almost a half a lap, just expecting the Minardi to move off line and vanish, whereas Michael actually tried to overtake and so Gaston moved over more quickly. This is how it should be done, Mika was just sitting there waiting for it to be handed to him on a plate.
Dhru.
Old 8 Oct 2000, 02:29 (Ref:41718)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Dhru, there was a very good reason why Mika could not overtake Mazza, but I am not even going down that road at all. I just enjoyed Minardi's moment of glory, which brought many here such happiness, that suffice it to say, the underdog had his moment of glory - and all Aussis love that.