Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Oct 2021, 16:25 (Ref:4078051)   #101
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Jelley is better than Oliphant and his talent is there, but things just haven’t worked out. Definitely the BMW isn’t as good as it has been
I'd say Oliphant is the better of the two, not sure what's happened to him recently.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 16:38 (Ref:4078057)   #102
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I'd say Oliphant is the better of the two, not sure what's happened to him recently.
I also think Oliphant is the better of the two. He was almost on Turkington’s level early in the season, but had a lot of bad luck and has struggled recently. It sounds like he will be leaving WSR at the end of the season; that could be a factor in his current poor form.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 17:13 (Ref:4078069)   #103
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's true he's leaving then I'm curious whether WSR will have Turks and Jelley only or will remain a three-car operation. If so, wonder who can replace Oliphant.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 17:37 (Ref:4078072)   #104
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
speaking of BMW Morgan also lost his form in recent rounds
Old 11 Oct 2021, 17:43 (Ref:4078075)   #105
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
It sounds like he will be leaving WSR at the end of the season; that could be a factor in his current poor form.
Where's that rumour from? Would've thought he would be pretty likely for next year with Jelley more at risk.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 18:06 (Ref:4078080)   #106
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Where's that rumour from? Would've thought he would be pretty likely for next year with Jelley more at risk.
Someone on reddit who is usually very reliable. I actually just noticed that they revived that rumour today, on
https://www.reddit.com/r/btcc/commen...season_thread/
I don't know anything about the other stuff in this thread, but they mentioned this particular rumour a while ago, and suggested that it was Oliphant's own decision to leave WSR due to him paying a lot for that seat and being able to get another seat for less elsewhere. I thought Speedworks was his most likely destination, replacing Smelt, but this thread links Cook to that seat. Other places where I could see Oliphant going potentially are Motorbase (for Neate), Laser Tools (only if Sutton leaves) or Excelr8 (for Parfitt). None of these are actual rumours, just things I think might happen.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 18:23 (Ref:4078082)   #107
Car 7
Rookie

Car 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oliphant keeps getting knocked off when in good positions and usually in the first race of the weekend -

R1 3rd
R6 3rd
R8 1st (didn't go off but probably would have won if Ingram hadn't hit him at Paddock on last lap).
Big crash at Oulton

The list goes on but he has inherited Jelly's mantle as the unlucky driver
Old 11 Oct 2021, 19:15 (Ref:4078087)   #108
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few murmurs doing the rounds around the paddock (well, it is that time of the year…) are BMR and PMR to link up after BMR split with hard. Rumours of a new car, but I don’t know what. Sutton to spearhead this.

Cook to Speedworks. They’d like to keep Butcher to have a strong driver line-up, but may not be possible.

Plato to replace Cook at BTC.

Oliphant to Motorbase or possibly Excelr8.

Lots of uncertainty at Team Dynamics. Rowbottom may be out, but his funding appears to be keeping the team going at the moment. They’d like to pair Shedden and Butcher, but that wouldn’t bring anywhere near enough funding. Rumours of a completely new car, but again, funds are tight at the moment.

Talk of Mat Jackson in at WSR, but that’s probably wishful thinking as Oliphant’s seat is £££££!

This would probably be better in the other threads, but all the decent 2022 chat seems to be in here at the moment!
Old 11 Oct 2021, 19:18 (Ref:4078088)   #109
porsche962fan
Veteran

this PMR-BMR hook up , new car would have to be a RWD, can't imagine Sutton in a FWD
Old 11 Oct 2021, 19:25 (Ref:4078089)   #110
mprmke
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
this PMR-BMR hook up , new car would have to be a RWD, can't imagine Sutton in a FWD
He wouldn’t want to switch to FWD I’m sure. Also highly unlikely he’d swap to BMW, which would be the only other RWD option.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 19:34 (Ref:4078090)   #111
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite surprising if Butcher is out after just a single season with Speedworks/Toyota. I think they need a strong pairing next year, Butcher/Cook would be great but probably will never happen unless Toyota brings substantial amount of money - which of course will never happen.

I've seen rumours about Crees at WSR... God help, please no.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 19:38 (Ref:4078091)   #112
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post

could be worse , that Colin gets kicked out again but since he is not winning the title the odds are a bit less
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4078101)   #113
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
He wouldn’t want to switch to FWD I’m sure. Also highly unlikely he’d swap to BMW, which would be the only other RWD option.
A 3rd BMR-designed RWD? Options include:
face...

Jaguar XE
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Mercedes-C or E
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:30 (Ref:4078109)   #114
mprmke
Racer

An earlier rumour said that Sutton would be racing a new, British RWD car next season, if there’s any truth in that…..
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:48 (Ref:4078118)   #115
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Oh no, he totally deserves that seat! In fact, ditch Turkington and have Edwards and Hamilton in there too!
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:51 (Ref:4078119)   #116
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Oh no, he totally deserves that seat! In fact, ditch Turkington and have Edwards and Hamilton in there too!
you forgot a real star who has the pockets too, the legendary Andy Neate who did once drive for WSR
Attached Thumbnails
untitled.jpg  
Old 12 Oct 2021, 09:20 (Ref:4078171)   #117
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I thought a btcc team already evaluated the Jag and came to the conclusion it wasn’t possible due to the construction of the shell?
Old 12 Oct 2021, 09:35 (Ref:4078173)   #118
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Odd that people mention Crees, Edwards and Hamilton as though they all have deep pockets. All three of them have struggled for budget and have worked hard to raise the money. Any driver can do that. If they can't then doesn't that show they don't really have the necessary grit for the job?
Old 12 Oct 2021, 09:41 (Ref:4078174)   #119
mprmke
Racer

I'm not sure what the score is with Crees, but for drivers who are always going to be near the back, Hamilton and Edwards bring a lot more to teams than most "back markers" off-track.
Old 12 Oct 2021, 12:04 (Ref:4078191)   #120
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Crees win the Jack Sears last year? Or was the 'God no' relating to his videos with Paul O'Neill etc?
Old 12 Oct 2021, 12:09 (Ref:4078192)   #121
Matt K
Veteran

If you ask me, winning Jack Sears Trophy doesn't mean anything, it's not even a rookie of the year contest, just a 'best of the worst' competition that doesn't have any true value in my opinion.
Apart from winning the trophy, Crees was 17th in the standings while his teammates 9th and 10th. Cook won three races, Chilton was three times on a podium, while Crees was three times in top 10. It's enough for me to think he's not the candidate for WSR. I'd rather see WSR decreased to two cars than see a top seat wasted.
Old 12 Oct 2021, 12:44 (Ref:4078195)   #122
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Didn't Crees win the Jack Sears last year? Or was the 'God no' relating to his videos with Paul O'Neill etc?
Somehow... Bobby Thompson should've won it if not for his crash / iffy car.

I would rate him higher than Edwards or Hamilton (but then that's not hard) but he's not BTCC level, certainly not anything like WSR. Plus his fanbase can be rather annoying...
Old 12 Oct 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4078218)   #123
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I thought a btcc team already evaluated the Jag and came to the conclusion it wasn’t possible due to the construction of the shell?
BMR evaluated them as an option before switching to the Levorg.

Weight was put forward as the reason for not going down that route - although we know the CoG of the Subaru engine was the main reason to go Levorg.
Old 12 Oct 2021, 17:44 (Ref:4078228)   #124
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Somehow... Bobby Thompson should've won it if not for his crash / iffy car.
Good point, to be fair I'd completely forgotten about that.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 12:08 (Ref:4078422)   #125
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
To be fair there’s a lot of what ifs in every championship. Sometimes you need the luck on your side