Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Feb 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1517918)   #76
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure. The last time I saw it was at Spa in 2004.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1517988)   #77
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think theyre building another one, possibly for the FiA post historic series

very imposing, and quick car, Peter and I raced against it at Spa in 2004.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1517994)   #78
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This one was taken by Patrick Allenby-Byrne at the 2004 event.

Old 8 Feb 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1518001)   #79
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
That must be the car that was renovated by Chris Randall as that was a genuine Luigi car that finished 3rd in the Spa 24 hours I believe. I remember seeing it and having a sit in at his workshop in Newcastle a few years back. I think his original plan was renovate it to bring it out in the ModProds but when finished someone made him an offer he could not refuse and he told me 'Sod that I ain't charging around with you lot in that if it is worth £xxxxx '! (Or words to that effect)
Old 8 Feb 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1518009)   #80
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did a painting of this car (The UFO Luigi BMW) for it's original driver, Pierre Deudonniere. I think I have a photo of it burried amongst the rubbish in my loft. If I can find it I will post a copy.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1518128)   #81
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That would be good to see Alan - I assume you didn't take any prints of the painting for selling on?

Just to complete all the angles of this car, one more!

I'm sure Tim advised that this was one of the two original Luigi cars.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1518146)   #82
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
That would be good to see Alan - I assume you didn't take any prints of the painting for selling on?
No prints I'm afraid. In those days they were done as one offs. I always took a photo before I handed the artwork over, but many were lost when I moved house.

I used to do a lot for Val Adaway and the Silverstone Lady Marshalls for use as prizes in the late 70's.

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Feb 2006 at 09:26.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 16:29 (Ref:1518163)   #83
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the shots of the CSL, one of my all time favorite cars.

Here are a couple more of mine taken last year at Goodwood.
Mustang

A couple of famous e types (or at least there cousins)

HMW
Old 8 Feb 2006, 16:42 (Ref:1518172)   #84
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I think theyre building another one, possibly for the FiA post historic series
They are indeed - when I picked up my Lotus Cortina from Racetech they were building it - its 70's lime green
Old 9 Feb 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1518685)   #85
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A few from the thousands I have taken over the years. Copyright Andrew Kitson.
Who,what,where when?

Old 9 Feb 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1518689)   #86
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Go mad, why don't you, Andrew! Great stuff
Old 9 Feb 2006, 10:52 (Ref:1518697)   #87
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I did a painting of this car (The UFO Luigi BMW) for it's original driver, Pierre Deudonniere. I think I have a photo of it burried amongst the rubbish in my loft. If I can find it I will post a copy.
I remember that painting Alan! Never twigged you did it for Val & Rita. I remember it being presented in the clubhouse bar on the outside of Woodcote - now named Silverstone racing club. Reason I remember is because Trevor van Rooyen - who I was 'gofering' for was one of the lady marshals 'dish of the year' finalists - at the BRDC GP circuit finals meeting October '77 . Another thing I remember about that night was Gerry Marshall and Lanfranchi having a go at Eddie Jordan at the bar! One of them had him by the throat. That sort of got everybody's attention.
I took over from you and did the award pictures for them from '83-'86!
Old 9 Feb 2006, 11:27 (Ref:1518735)   #88
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
I remember that painting Alan! Never twigged you did it for Val & Rita. I remember it being presented in the clubhouse bar on the outside of Woodcote - now named Silverstone racing club. Reason I remember is because Trevor van Rooyen - who I was 'gofering' for was one of the lady marshals 'dish of the year' finalists - at the BRDC GP circuit finals meeting October '77 . Another thing I remember about that night was Gerry Marshall and Lanfranchi having a go at Eddie Jordan at the bar! One of them had him by the throat. That sort of got everybody's attention.
I took over from you and did the award pictures for them from '83-'86!
I was there, it's when I met Trevor. I think Eddie, Gerry and Tony had had a fair amount to drink by then. Tony was trying to explain to his girlfriend that the well known four letter 'F' word was a racing term which she wouldn't understand!

I stopped doing the pictures for Val when I went to work in Germany and was racing instead of Marshalling. I even got a 'Dish of the Day' myself but I think that was favouritism!

Great pictures - keep them coming
Old 9 Feb 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1518825)   #89
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
A few from the thousands I have taken over the years. Copyright Andrew Kitson.
Who,what,where when?

I can answer a couple of them:
Picture 2 is of ERA R3A with AJM1 to the left. Looks like Silverstone to me

Picture 3 the car with the moody paint job is a McLaren M10B which used to be sprinted by Simon Riley. The livery was Monsieur Houbigant eau de cologne!

Picture 6 is of the Gillies Riley team with l to r 9hp Treen, Brooke Special, 6 cylinder Treen, 12/4 special.

Picture 8 is the Lola Mk6 GT when owned by Paul Halfpenny

Picture 11 is Nick Mason's Bugatti T35B

I can identify most of the others but not with any great degree of accuracy
Old 9 Feb 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1518853)   #90
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I'll have a crack at no.9. I'm pretty certain that is a March 702 currently belonging to Michael Scott. I admired this car at Cadwell earlier last year (it was still carrying the no.44) and asked Michael about it. He said that he did still have the winglets that attach to the nosecone but that they were not allowed in the HSCC class (E4?) that he was competing in that day. I'm not certain where Andrew's photo was taken, however!

In fact, I've just found a picture I took at the Cadwell meeting mentioned above. I rather like the balaclava and gloves awaiting further use!

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Feb 2006 at 09:45. Reason: Adding picture and further comment!
Old 9 Feb 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1518985)   #91
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greg Thornton in no.99 ???
Old 10 Feb 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1519457)   #92
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I'm sure Andrew will enlighten us in due course! In the meantime, here is one of Peter Mullen's very pretty Oscar 2000S seen at last year's VSCC meeting at Silverstone:-

Old 10 Feb 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1519463)   #93
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
1995 Coys of Kensington GT Race for the John Woolfe Trophy - part 1, and the later style GTO of Lindsay Owen Jones and Pierre-Henri Raphanel showing its pace.

Old 10 Feb 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1519481)   #94
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Oliver Leyba's ex-works DB2 at Goodwood, last year:-

Last edited by John Turner; 10 Feb 2006 at 10:00. Reason: see Peter's comment below!
Old 10 Feb 2006, 09:55 (Ref:1519487)   #95
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Goodwiid, last year:-
That's in Holland then.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1519505)   #96
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
That must be the car that was renovated by Chris Randall as that was a genuine Luigi car that finished 3rd in the Spa 24 hours I believe. I remember seeing it and having a sit in at his workshop in Newcastle a few years back. I think his original plan was renovate it to bring it out in the ModProds but when finished someone made him an offer he could not refuse and he told me 'Sod that I ain't charging around with you lot in that if it is worth £xxxxx '! (Or words to that effect)
I'm not sure this is the original car Al. I seem to remember hearing it was a replica. I certainly know it was painted by Dave Axisa at Paulersbury nr Towcester. He had a single photo of the original colour scheme and had to "make up" the bits he couldn't see in the shot!
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1521285)   #97
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
That's in Holland then.
Good to see you keeping John on his toes, Peter (he's always keeping us on ours!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Critcher
Greg Thornton in no.99 ???
That was my thinking too!
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1521307)   #98
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Chris's CSL was the real McCoy, beautifully prepared old beastie.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 06:59 (Ref:1521548)   #99
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917
That was my thinking too!
Yes it is, Greg Thornton's Titan losing it in his practice session at the HSCC Silverstone finals meeting in 2003.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1521608)   #100
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And the others, Andrew?

A murky March morning at Silverstone last year, and the BRDC Marshal's Club Raceday, saw the pretty WSM Sprite of Clive Cocks, ready for action:-