Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Oct 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3461422)   #2826
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by optica View Post
Agreed....they certainly deserve an additional award for perseverance!

I think they were pretty sure of the potential but finding it has been more of a struggle than even the most optimistic of us thought it would be. Even Bowlby must be having a quiet smile now they seem to know where they are going with it.

Still not the most beautiful thing to grace a racing circuit but it seems to have accumulated a good many fans despite being the ugly duckling.
Yea, I kinda liked the open cockpit version, but man the closed version is just ugly. I've TRIED to warm up to it but especially from the front it's horrid.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3461442)   #2827
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed....they certainly deserve an additional award for perseverance!

I think they were pretty sure of the potential but finding it has been more of a struggle than even the most optimistic of us thought it would be. Even Bowlby must be having a quiet smile now they seem to know where they are going with it.
Except they have gone away from the original concept and are now using conventional wings for downforce.
http://lemansprototypes.over-blog.it...anta-2014.html
Old 6 Oct 2014, 23:14 (Ref:3461520)   #2828
optica
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
optica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Except they have gone away from the original concept and are now using conventional wings for downforce.
The small inboard wings either side at the rear look to be an alternative to the Gurney flaps that were used originally. I don't see much that can be to compared to the wings on other cars. No doubt they could "wing it up" much more but the main advantage of the car is its straight line speed and economy from minimizing the drag.
Unfortunately the constant lengthy FCYs in TUSC never allow the advantages of economy to show its true worth.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3461704)   #2829
brandscooper
Rookie

brandscooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Actually these little winglets are more efficient that the full height gurney they replace so it's entirely in keeping with the low drag concept. These winglets have been on the car all year.

Don't forget the governing body mandated a small fuel tank so it has to stop within a few laps of the DP's anyway. This has forced the team to find more aero performance as it can't use it fuel economy to gain an advantage. I don't think people realize it's hadicapped by this. IMSA also mandate a boost and rev limit.

Last edited by brandscooper; 7 Oct 2014 at 12:18.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 12:16 (Ref:3461706)   #2830
brandscooper
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I think drag from the coupe might have something to do with that.
Actually you are completely wrong! The coupe version lost a significant amount of downforce when the roof was added (along with a drag loss). The open top had more downforce. The aero additions seen at RA proved that adding downforce made the car faster. It still has less downforce than the open top version.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3461757)   #2831
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandscooper View Post
Actually you are completely wrong! The coupe version lost a significant amount of downforce when the roof was added (along with a drag loss). The open top had more downforce. The aero additions seen at RA proved that adding downforce made the car faster. It still has less downforce than the open top version.
When a race car produces more downforce the downside is an increase in drag. Have you got any figures that compare both DWs?
Old 7 Oct 2014, 16:48 (Ref:3461815)   #2832
brandscooper
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
When a race car produces more downforce the downside is an increase in drag. Have you got any figures that compare both DWs?
That's correct, but don't forget the coupe started off with less drag than the open top so by adding downforce to the coupe the resulting drag increase still results in a lower drag/downforce than the open top. With the latest aero tweeks the coupe is now close to the downforce produced by the open top car. I have figures but that is proprietary information.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 17:03 (Ref:3461822)   #2833
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That's correct, but don't forget the coupe started off with less drag than the open top so by adding downforce to the coupe the resulting drag increase still results in a lower drag/downforce than the open top. With the latest aero tweeks the coupe is now close to the downforce produced by the open top car. I have figures but that is proprietary information.
Shame you can't share them.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 17:49 (Ref:3461838)   #2834
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Can you reveal whether the fuel cell is still 45L?

It was fun watching a car with a lot less power be competitive and also achieve longer stints!

Congratulations on a great showing!
Old 7 Oct 2014, 21:57 (Ref:3461948)   #2835
brandscooper
Rookie

Yes, the tank itself is 45L. A little over half the capacity of the DP cars.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 22:02 (Ref:3461950)   #2836
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Cool! So with the ability to do a slightly longer stint, it's right on the "half the fuel" goal when the concept was first proposed.

Maybe the good old days are coming back to sportscar racing.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 00:32 (Ref:3461982)   #2837
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
Cool! So with the ability to do a slightly longer stint, it's right on the "half the fuel" goal when the concept was first proposed.

Maybe the good old days are coming back to sportscar racing.
If I remember correctly, the DW had a smaller tank handed to them this year. So their mega fuel economy advantage was taken away.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 01:33 (Ref:3461993)   #2838
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
If I remember correctly, the DW had a smaller tank handed to them this year. So their mega fuel economy advantage was taken away.
They did a longer first stint than the leading DP's. It ended under caution, so we don't really know exactly how much longer they could go, but according to the IMSA final results, they did 11 pit stops (but five laps down where full distance likely would have meant another stop) while the winner is shown at 13 stops and second place car is shown at 12.

On the other hand, the fastest PC is shown at 9 stops (and five laps down). Maybe PC's have the same fuel capacity as a P2, but less power, so less fuel consumption.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 02:41 (Ref:3461999)   #2839
EDR1998
Rookie

United Kingdom
EDR1998 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the small fuel tank is new, is it? And I don't see how IMSA could decide the size of the fuel cell, that would be a function of the car, right? I have old roadster specs, which list a 10.5 gallon fuel tank - that's only 40L. So it would appear this tank is actually bigger.

That said, IMSA hit DW with a smaller fuel restrictor at the beginning of the season - which doesn't appear to have improved:

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...0%2314-125.pdf

So anyone who says the DW doesn't operate under any "rules" would appear to be wrong...
Old 8 Oct 2014, 08:52 (Ref:3462086)   #2840
optica
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
optica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDR1998 View Post
I don't think the small fuel tank is new, is it? And I don't see how IMSA could decide the size of the fuel cell, that would be a function of the car, right? I have old roadster specs, which list a 10.5 gallon fuel tank - that's only 40L. So it would appear this tank is actually bigger.

That said, IMSA hit DW with a smaller fuel restrictor at the beginning of the season - which doesn't appear to have improved:

So anyone who says the DW doesn't operate under any "rules" would appear to be wrong...
If the fueling restrictor & tank size weren't limited the car would have a large advantage now it can match the speed of the other cars. It would also use far less fuel in the process. This is what the DW set out to prove in the first place so in most respects job done. No doubt the old argument whether a conventional lay-out car could do better will continue but the car has never fallen over as predicted by many (without help from other cars!). No-one seems to have refused to drive it and it adds interest to the grid. If it encourages other engineers or entrants to get away from the same old then prototype sportscar racing would get a lot more interesting.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 23:53 (Ref:3462352)   #2841
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
If the fueling restrictor & tank size weren't limited the car would have a large advantage now it can match the speed of the other cars. It would also use far less fuel in the process. This is what the DW set out to prove in the first place so in most respects job done. No doubt the old argument whether a conventional lay-out car could do better will continue but the car has never fallen over as predicted by many (without help from other cars!). No-one seems to have refused to drive it and it adds interest to the grid. If it encourages other engineers or entrants to get away from the same old then prototype sportscar racing would get a lot more interesting.
It sounds like this new reduced power, reduced weight alternate spec in Tudor could allow some other folks to show up with possibly more conventional light weight cars, and it could provide some very enjoyable competition.
Old 9 Oct 2014, 10:18 (Ref:3462482)   #2842
optica
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
Quote:
It sounds like this new reduced power, reduced weight alternate spec in Tudor could allow some other folks to show up with possibly more conventional light weight cars, and it could provide some very enjoyable competition.
Apart from developing a new car I'm not sure whether there is anything "off the shelf" that could easily be allowable in TUSC. I still think the DW is a very effective car and coming up with something that might challenge it economy wise could be an expensive exercise. It is very fast in a straight line and that might be hard to match aero-wise with a conventional lay-out. As always much depends on the circuit. With the DW the challenge has been making it fast enough in the corners whereas the challenge with a conventional car might be making it fast enough down the straights. Until someone does it the old argument will continue.
Old 9 Oct 2014, 22:12 (Ref:3462721)   #2843
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Apart from developing a new car I'm not sure whether there is anything "off the shelf" that could easily be allowable in TUSC. I still think the DW is a very effective car and coming up with something that might challenge it economy wise could be an expensive exercise. It is very fast in a straight line and that might be hard to match aero-wise with a conventional lay-out. As always much depends on the circuit. With the DW the challenge has been making it fast enough in the corners whereas the challenge with a conventional car might be making it fast enough down the straights. Until someone does it the old argument will continue.
Some here have said that there was a Radical, or something similar, that weighs less and would blow the pants of the DW. I think it has a motorcycle-based engine and I thought a motorcycle-based engine wouldn't last 24 hours, which of course produced the retort that no DW variant has lasted 24 hours either.

I'm still skeptical such a car could beat a DW in a long race, but I would love to see that battle of alternative approaches. It would be very nice if the old argument could be resolved on the track! As you say, the DW would likely prevail on fast circuits, and the conventional car may well prevail on twisties.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3462878)   #2844
optica
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
Quote:
Some here have said that there was a Radical, or something similar, that weighs less and would blow the pants of the DW. I think it has a motorcycle-based engine and I thought a motorcycle-based engine wouldn't last 24 hours, which of course produced the retort that no DW variant has lasted 24 hours either.

I'm still skeptical such a car could beat a DW in a long race, but I would love to see that battle of alternative approaches. It would be very nice if the old argument could be resolved on the track! As you say, the DW would likely prevail on fast circuits, and the conventional car may well prevail on twisties.
A quick look at the Radical blurb shows the quickest version as having 430bhp and lapping Spa in 2.16
http://www.radicalsportscars.com/uk/...al-sr8-rx.aspx

This year's P2s were around 2.10s with a 2.8 in qualifying.
Against a well-sorted DW I doubt the Radical would find it an easy challenge. Quite how it would rate on relative economy would be interesting.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 12:50 (Ref:3462950)   #2845
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDR1998 View Post

They were hit with an additional 1mm restriction for Petit.

Regarding the tires, the Conti's are much better than the Bridgestone's but not as good as the Michelin's.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 13:40 (Ref:3462962)   #2846
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Perhaps they are referring to Scott Tucker's D Sports Racing West, which allegedly was turning 1:57/1:58's in testing with a pro driver, and 1:59.991 with Scott himself driving?
Old 10 Oct 2014, 14:58 (Ref:3462989)   #2847
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
They were hit with an additional 1mm restriction for Petit.
I wouldn't call +1,5mm restrictor increase "hit" & "restriction"
http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...0%2314-130.pdf
Old 10 Oct 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3463034)   #2848
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Perhaps they are referring to Scott Tucker's D Sports Racing West, which allegedly was turning 1:57/1:58's in testing with a pro driver, and 1:59.991 with Scott himself driving?
That's the one!

Thanks!
Old 12 Oct 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3463879)   #2849
MkEagle
Rookie

MkEagle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The coupe version lost a significant amount of downforce when the roof was added (along with a drag loss). The open top had more downforce. The aero additions seen at RA proved that adding downforce made the car faster. It still has less downforce than the open top version.

Thanks for the info. The 2014 DeltaWing Coupe is slower than the 2012 & 2013 open-cockpit DeltaWing at every track except Laguna Seca.

The ideal DeltaWing is a single-seat open-cockpit design like Ben Bowlby’s IndyCar prototype.

Dr. Panoz could start his own DeltaWing racing series and forget about TUSCC.

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categorie..._is_no235.html

http://www.autoracing1.com/irl.asp?a...=032010-032010

http://www.infoxicated.com/2011/06/2...cle-in-racing/

Old 19 Oct 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3466419)   #2850
MkEagle
Rookie

MkEagle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The coupe version lost a significant amount of downforce when the roof was added (along with a drag loss). The open top had more downforce. The aero additions seen at RA proved that adding downforce made the car faster. It still has less downforce than the open top version.
The Nissan ZEOD has the same problem.