Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Apr 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3530013)   #2901
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooky View Post
Anyone else think it's time to call it a day on the Deltawing?

It's high point had to be the reasonable run at Le Mans followed by the 5th at Road Atlanta but ever since it moved into the ALMS/USCC full time it just hasn't lived up to potential. The new engine/gearbox seems to be woeful and the closed cockpit design makes it the ugliest car on the grid.
Looks like they will after this year, if not next year. It won't survive the P2 shift.
Old 22 Apr 2015, 15:23 (Ref:3530033)   #2902
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooky View Post
Anyone else think it's time to call it a day on the Deltawing?

It's high point had to be the reasonable run at Le Mans followed by the 5th at Road Atlanta but ever since it moved into the ALMS/USCC full time it just hasn't lived up to potential. The new engine/gearbox seems to be woeful and the closed cockpit design makes it the ugliest car on the grid.
Quite possibly but before they do I would like to see one thing happen and that's all of the D-Wing incarnations and derivatives race each other.
Old 22 Apr 2015, 20:40 (Ref:3530118)   #2903
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Retired the DW? Yes, and then bring back the original one.

The Original DW finished a 10 hour, 1000 mile race. Think about that.

And that one was just a heavy modified P2 with some touring car engine in the back of it.

The DW cars that came after are built from the ground up by Panoz, and are failures from bad workmanship. It's too bad because it's a good fun concept ruined by ones ego. I think somebody else should try to race the DW concept.
Old 7 Jun 2015, 15:18 (Ref:3545807)   #2904
EDR1998
Rookie

United Kingdom
EDR1998 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current iteration of the DeltaWing DID finish last year's Petit Le Mans, barely missing a podium finish. It also finished at Road America - but both races saw the car have gearbox issues, hence the new gearbox design.

It should be noted that the car has not had a gearbox problem since Daytona...
Old 7 Jun 2015, 15:46 (Ref:3545813)   #2905
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDR1998 View Post
The current iteration of the DeltaWing DID finish last year's Petit Le Mans, barely missing a podium finish. It also finished at Road America - but both races saw the car have gearbox issues, hence the new gearbox design.

It should be noted that the car has not had a gearbox problem since Daytona...
Still I'd rather see the current version go away and run in one of the GT classes. I wonder if that thing will be homologated or get to run as a special exemption like the prototype does. I'm not sure if I'd rather see in GT3 or GTLM though.
Old 12 Jun 2015, 18:11 (Ref:3548115)   #2906
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know its Jalopnik, but this is a fascinating, albeit, messy read:

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/how-to...its-1710090096
Old 12 Jun 2015, 22:59 (Ref:3548213)   #2907
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post

I read enough to conclude Dr. Don got Jalopnik's ear and his main support for his position seems to be a couple critically important contracts that somehow never got signed. Maybe they never got signed because the folks who didn't sign them wouldn't agree to some of Dr. Don's conditions?
Old 12 Jun 2015, 23:50 (Ref:3548225)   #2908
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post

I thought it read quite well but a lot to absorb. Thanks .
Old 17 Jun 2015, 18:51 (Ref:3551627)   #2909
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...c-deltawing-gt
Old 17 Jun 2015, 20:54 (Ref:3551663)   #2910
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well now, when does he expect a G56 entry? The 2016 and 2017 cars have already been announced, then again, those plans could easily fall through.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 21:52 (Ref:3551684)   #2911
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Swappable battaries engines, that would be a game changer indeed.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 07:16 (Ref:3551777)   #2912
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Panoz's vision, which would break another barrier if it can be achieved, calls for quick-change battery units that would allow the DeltaWing EV to complete stints equal to the leading GTE cars by swapping battery units in the same time it would take to complete a normal refueling pit stop.

Admirable but I think reality is calling... not even Formula E attemps to do that just yet.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 20:47 (Ref:3551993)   #2913
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Well now, when does he expect a G56 entry? The 2016 and 2017 cars have already been announced, then again, those plans could easily fall through.
Maybe he thinks they can get a Garage 58 or Garage 60 entry since they're expanding the field the next two years
Old 19 Jun 2015, 06:46 (Ref:3552068)   #2914
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
DeltaWing seem to have problems making a basic car work, and they want to make hot swppable battery packs? Even Nissan didn't make the ZEOD version work very well.

But I thought the DW was meant to be going to a GT based entry? That interests me because it's the first time the DW would actually compete legally in a class. To then put a battery into it and stick it in Garage 56 again takes that away. If the DW is going to prove the concept then it needs to compete on a level ground.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 13:38 (Ref:3553026)   #2915
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
But I thought the DW was meant to be going to a GT based entry? That interests me because it's the first time the DW would actually compete legally in a class.
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11814...ets-2015-debut
Old 22 Jun 2015, 17:43 (Ref:3553095)   #2916
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So we may see it at Petit! Sounds good to me. Interesting that they aren't sure what category to put it in, GTE or GTD. Any word on potential drivers yet?
Old 7 Jan 2016, 01:27 (Ref:3602677)   #2917
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Just when you think it had all gone quiet, DeltaWing announce a full 2016 IMSA schedule.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122402
Old 7 Jan 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3602735)   #2918
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought we were meant to see the DW GT last year? And now we're getting another year of the Prototype? :-\
Old 7 Jan 2016, 10:17 (Ref:3602743)   #2919
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I'm thinking that the DW GT is vaporware until Don has to mothball the DW. Which considering that he's the main owner of the original DW IP now and he's part owner of IMSA and IMSA has to at least pay lip service to the past with the ALMS and also to the ACO, the DW P will keep racing until god knows when.
Old 7 Jan 2016, 14:42 (Ref:3602798)   #2920
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I thought we were meant to see the DW GT last year? And now we're getting another year of the Prototype? :-\
They have a good driver lineup again, so at least they are keeping some people employed.

http://www.deltawingracing.com/news0...ltawing-racing

I'm a little confused as to why they didn't have a true color picture of the car. Especially since the press release makes mention of the new livery and how it pays tribute to the past. Wouldn't you want to highlight that with a picture in your press release?
Old 7 Jan 2016, 17:45 (Ref:3602842)   #2921
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/685147881465090048

Here's the new livery. Very smart, even if the shape of the car remains dog ugly.

Last edited by BSchneiderFan; 7 Jan 2016 at 17:50.
Old 7 Jan 2016, 17:47 (Ref:3602844)   #2922
BullMan
Veteran

Having seen the "DeltaWing GT" at Petit, there is no way that thing would have been ready for PLM in 2016, let alone the Roar. It was a hollow shell with no doors. I've seen Hot Wheels with more detail.
Old 7 Jan 2016, 20:28 (Ref:3602885)   #2923
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Having seen the "DeltaWing GT" at Petit, there is no way that thing would have been ready for PLM in 2016, let alone the Roar. It was a hollow shell with no doors. I've seen Hot Wheels with more detail.
That sounds fmiliar, didn't Panoz have difficulties getting their last GT car built? Sorry foggy brain here, but I remember poorly aligned body panels, and other issues that delayed it's introduction. It may not have even had a engine....
dh
Old 7 Jan 2016, 20:54 (Ref:3602893)   #2924
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I don't care how many posts will be spend on Panoz' (past) creations but please, please, NO pics of the A-sushi and DWGT thing!!!

Thank y'all so much!
Old 7 Jan 2016, 22:34 (Ref:3602920)   #2925
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
That sounds fmiliar, didn't Panoz have difficulties getting their last GT car built? Sorry foggy brain here, but I remember poorly aligned body panels, and other issues that delayed it's introduction. It may not have even had a engine....
dh
The Abruzzi did "demonstration laps" at PLM one year before it ever raced. It was in development hell for awhile it seemed.