Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 25 Sep 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3309258)   #301
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonderful stuff! The Merc could be a real good looker . I love to see such a variety in makes and models.

I hope someone (in future seasons) will build an NGTC car out of the new Mazda3, as well as a FIAT Viaggio (Dodge Dart).
Old 25 Sep 2013, 16:35 (Ref:3309271)   #302
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Fortec are considering BTCC according to today's M News.

Apparently they are talking to drivers and would look to enter as a "factory backed outfit", no word on cars but M News did refer to their long history with Mercedes from F3 through to GT's.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3309272)   #303
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at this rate we could have 30 all NGTC grid next

I checked out, the last time the BTCC raced with a single class of cars was way back in 1999 ... so after 14 years
Old 25 Sep 2013, 17:00 (Ref:3309281)   #304
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great news!

Why do they have a blue/orange livery?
With Ciceley being a Mercedes commercial vehicles dealer a silver (or black, or white) livery makes more sense.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3309287)   #305
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
at this rate we could have 30 all NGTC grid next

I checked out, the last time the BTCC raced with a single class of cars was way back in 1999 ... so after 14 years
I refuse to get carried away about grid numbers. It's a long way away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Great news!

With Ciceley being a Mercedes commercial vehicles dealer a silver (or black, or white) livery makes more sense.
Because it looks good? It really stands out when you see it in person. Metallic blue.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3309311)   #306
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Apparently Morgan's gran complained last year that she couldn't spot him on TV easily enough so this year they ran the blue/orange livery. As Craner said, it is very distinctive and very easy to spot.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3309356)   #307
emicen
Rookie

Scotland
Glasgow
emicen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Nope. The subframes mount to the TOCA designed spec rollcage. As mentioned The only real affect a shell makes to the car is a bit of Aero and differences in wheelbase/centre of gravity weight distribution..
Spec rollcage...

Quite interested to hear how a "spec cage" could be used with massive variances in internal shell geometries.

You mean, TOCA defined pick up points I suspect
Scottish MINI Cooper Cup racer [Car #3]
Old 26 Sep 2013, 08:12 (Ref:3309496)   #308
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
You can have a copy of the invoice if you like

We sold the first car for £200k including the engine. At the time you could own an engine but now its daft to do that so most lease (cheaper).
Thanks so much for that John... very interesting indeed.

As an aside, your honesty and frankness has always been such a breath of fresh air.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 09:26 (Ref:3309523)   #309
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by emicen View Post
Spec rollcage...

Quite interested to hear how a "spec cage" could be used with massive variances in internal shell geometries.

You mean, TOCA defined pick up points I suspect
A little more than that, TOCA spec the pick ups but also all the tube diameters, thickness, materials and complete cage design, only changes are to fit the interior space in the shell. You're right in that an Insignia cage is different to a Honda one but the design and where the subframes pick up are identical, mind you that was until Hard decided to swap one to RHD (gawd knows why) and chopped it up, it had to be put back together so who knows now.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 09:28 (Ref:3309525)   #310
Thorney
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Thanks so much for that John... very interesting indeed.

As an aside, your honesty and frankness has always been such a breath of fresh air.
Thank you, although its a double edged sword, so much of motorsport is complete BS it beggars belief and the higher you go the deeper the BS goes, means I dont make many friends but screw it I'd rather watch and feel I did the right thing than be on the grid knowing I screwed over people to get there.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3309541)   #311
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
A little more than that, TOCA spec the pick ups but also all the tube diameters, thickness, materials and complete cage design, only changes are to fit the interior space in the shell. You're right in that an Insignia cage is different to a Honda one but the design and where the subframes pick up are identical, mind you that was until Hard decided to swap one to RHD (gawd knows why) and chopped it up, it had to be put back together so who knows now.
Thanks John, confirms my understanding the the spec cage, and saved me responding.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3309728)   #312
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lea Wood could be the one who buys that Avensis, so I suppose he'll be trying to piece some funding together - he won't let this one go, especially if he wants a competitive 2nd hand NGTC car. If I were in his position I'd be doing all I could to get sponsors, especially using the JST win as a winover.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3309732)   #313
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Lea Wood could be the one who buys that Avensis, so I suppose he'll be trying to piece some funding together - he won't let this one go, especially if he wants a competitive 2nd hand NGTC car. If I were in his position I'd be doing all I could to get sponsors, especially using the JST win as a winover.
From what's been said, the only bits available Will be pretty much the shell and cage for anyone to buy off Cicely as they may very well strip it down and re-use the common bits on the A class, so Lea will still have to find more thaw just a few quid to buy the NGTC components to go into the Toyota shell.

I may have misunderstood things however and I'll happily stand corrected.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 19:42 (Ref:3309744)   #314
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If there really is all that much of the car which is standardised, why is the Honda chassis so much better than the rest?
Old 26 Sep 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3309745)   #315
psq43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If there really is all that much of the car which is standardised, why is the Honda chassis so much better than the rest?
For that, you'll need somebody who doesn't have a head full of ketchup.

That rules me out.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3309746)   #316
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Cos they know what they're doing
Old 26 Sep 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3309750)   #317
psq43
Veteran

Quote:
I'll probably be proved wrong, but maybe having the right people around the team, two top drivers, manufacturer support, and the all important cash to spend on testing and development, a good strong Neil Brown engine they are familiar with since 2011, stubby wheelbase, good weight distribution...the list probably goes on.

As they say, when everyone has almost the same kit, its who gets the best out of it that succeeds.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 19:58 (Ref:3309754)   #318
davidjones
Rookie

England
Nottingham
davidjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thousands of miles of testing! As has been said earlier in the thread Honda had done around two seasons worth of laps before the first race in 2012.

The shorter wheelbase of the Civic gives it an advantage on the tight twisty circuits, and their budget allows them full use of the allocation of new tires, and experienced personnel.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:00 (Ref:3309756)   #319
psq43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjones View Post
Thousands of miles of testing! As has been said earlier in the thread Honda had done around two seasons worth of laps before the first race in 2012.

The shorter wheelbase of the Civic gives it an advantage on the tight twisty circuits, and their budget allows them full use of the allocation of new tires, and experienced personnel.
Ooh so I was a little bit right then.

I'll buy a lottery ticket now..,
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3309758)   #320
Thorney
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
so Lea will still have to find more thaw just a few quid to buy the NGTC components to go in
So that's just £154k to find then, plus labour to fit it all and an engine. I hope he does it, I really do.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3309770)   #321
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The whole car is for sale as far as I know. The talk of them using the internals from the Avensis for the Mercedes was just good PR from Toca. If you're going to build a car, you might as well stick new everything in it!
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:30 (Ref:3309777)   #322
davidjones
Rookie

England
Nottingham
davidjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
The whole car is for sale as far as I know. The talk of them using the internals from the Avensis for the Mercedes was just good PR from Toca. If you're going to build a car, you might as well stick new everything in it!
That make far more sense than ripping apart a perfectly good race car, but they will be able to use any NGTC spares they have left over which will save a few quid.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3309780)   #323
psq43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjones View Post
That make far more sense than ripping apart a perfectly good race car, but they will be able to use any NGTC spares they have left over which will save a few quid.
Oh I dunno. Its been done before, to the very same car actually.

Morgans current mount is the Wrathall 2011 shell, as Frank said on TTT they gutted it over the winter of '11 and stuck upgraded NGTC bits into a '12 shell.

Again, I may have had wax in my ears at the time.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3309783)   #324
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Oh I dunno. Its been done before, to the very same car actually.

Morgans current mount is the Wrathall 2011 shell, as Frank said on TTT they gutted it over the winter of '11 and stuck upgraded NGTC bits into a '12 shell.

Again, I may have had wax in my ears at the time.
Tis true. But there's more demand for used cars now than there was post-2011.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 08:27 (Ref:3309933)   #325
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I understood that they're selling the car complete at the end of the season. I thought Alan Gow's comments were related understanding, set-up, spares etc... i.e. that they could transfer much of the expertise and extras they had to the Mercedes, not that there were going to build it by cannibalizing their Avensis.
Closed Thread