Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which will be the first 2020 GP?
Australia 0 0%
Bahrain 0 0%
Vietnam 0 0%
China 0 0%
Netherlands 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
Monaco 0 0%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Canada 2 5.13%
France 2 5.13%
Austria 1 2.56%
Britain 3 7.69%
Hungary 0 0%
Belgium 3 7.69%
Italy 0 0%
Singapore 2 5.13%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 2 5.13%
United States 1 2.56%
Mexico 0 0%
Brazil 0 0%
Abu Dhabi 2 5.13%
Somewhere else 0 0%
There will not be a 2020 GP 21 53.85%
There will never be another GP 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Jun 2020, 17:36 (Ref:3980865)   #1626
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Interesting article about Mercedes practicing social distancing protocols and how to make that work within F1. It's good to see the teams fine tuning the details to make this work.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...ncing/4803055/

Richard
i have to admit that i was expecting some sort of more heavy duty or bespoke masks/helmets. a bit hard to tell but they dont even seem to be the n95 respirator style masks.

perhaps intentional as not to be seen as wearing something that should still be reserved for front line workers?
Old 8 Jun 2020, 17:42 (Ref:3980866)   #1627
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i dont know all the details and the link doesnt provide too many details (maybe they were genuine in their desire to protest) but personally and without knowing all the facts, exploiting this situation and diminishing the very real issues people are standing up for makes me upset.

my own personal opinion is that any sport/venue i currently follow and support doing likewise would result in losing me as a customer forever.

maybe others feel the way i do, maybe they dont..to each their own of course.
This is less than an hour from me and the link is reported by one of my local TV stations. I pretty confidently the justification of "This Event is held in Peaceful Protest of Injustice and Inequality Everywhere" is people being upset with the George Floyd protests getting support while similar protests to open up bars, barber shops (and I guess that race track) didn't get much public support. It is all about people looking to relabel and co-opt the George Floyd police brutality protests for their own purposes. Sad really.

I wasn't going to comment on the post as the idea is beyond dumb. It is just another example of lack of respect in America today. But given I live not far away I would fill in details as to the local thinking. I really don't care to comment more than this.

Richard
Old 8 Jun 2020, 17:47 (Ref:3980867)   #1628
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
perhaps intentional as not to be seen as wearing something that should still be reserved for front line workers?
My understanding is that N95 is meant to protect yourself (inhalation) and not filter exhalation. So the other masks (which is what most wear, and what is shown) is meant to reduce exhalation particles so as to increase protection for others.

I think they are trying to not go overboard (which is a good thing). Act in a safe way, but still get the job done. I think that is part of the ramping back up to activity. I hope the strategy gets the right balance.

Richard

EDIT: I don't think either type is designed for "exhalation", but what I should have said is don't waste the better (needed by medical professionals) N95 on general exhalation particle reduction. So use the lesser medical and cloth style for general usages.

Last edited by Richard C; 8 Jun 2020 at 18:12.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 18:40 (Ref:3980876)   #1629
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
as you say, act in a safe way but still get the job done. agreed that overdoing it doesn't help and maybe would even create an unintended consequence of making the teams look like they dont know what they are doing?

slightly off point but...we often talk about what technologies from F1 can transfer over to road cars as a way of justifying F1's existence...

with several sports aiming to restart and establish protocols about how to go about it, it seems to me there will inevitably be lessons and practices learned through this process which could transfer over to companies looking to improve overall workplace safety protocols, provide templates for businesses which require their employees to travel for work, or a hotel learning how to accommodate a team or a sports bubble which can then be applied for the average traveler once that sort of travel resumes etc etc.

likewise i am curious about what F1 has learned from businesses who have stayed open during the worst of the quarantine.

we are all kind of learning about how to do things in a new way which pretty cool.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 19:48 (Ref:3980885)   #1630
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
with several sports aiming to restart and establish protocols about how to go about it, it seems to me there will inevitably be lessons and practices learned through this process which could transfer over to companies looking to improve overall workplace safety protocols, provide templates for businesses which require their employees to travel for work, or a hotel learning how to accommodate a team or a sports bubble which can then be applied for the average traveler once that sort of travel resumes etc etc.
That is a good question. We have talked about "road relevance" for a long time. Maybe F1 is "pandemic relevant"! F1/racing covers manufacturing, travel, shipping, hospitality, and a number of other areas.

I think a lot of businesses are struggling to figure out how to restart. It would be interesting if there was more allowance for industry collaboration (without it looking like collusion) around how to implement new best practices in the most cost effective way. Iterate and share what works with others.

Richard
Old 11 Jun 2020, 06:23 (Ref:3981244)   #1631
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Latest rumbles - Baku, Signapore and Suzuka to be announced shortly as cancelled, possibly Vietnam as well.

Brazil, China and US GP are in the doubtful catiegory, Mexico still wanting to press ahead with the race, but thought doubtful by others.

Possibly exend the European season with a 2nd Italian GP at Mugello plus Hockenheim. Also add 2 races in Russia and 2 x races in Bahrain.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 07:35 (Ref:3981255)   #1632
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have some friends working on a project in Japan. One of then is working from home in Austria because he cant go back yet. That suggests Japan is struggling to contain the virus. There have been spikes in Singapore and presumably they don't want to import more problems this year. Plus the sight of all those tankers full of oil moored offshore isn't a good look. Don't know about Baku although most energy projects have shut down.

Russia is actually suffering more than we hear. I wouldn't expect that to go ahead.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 08:49 (Ref:3981273)   #1633
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I have some friends working on a project in Japan. One of then is working from home in Austria because he cant go back yet. That suggests Japan is struggling to contain the virus. There have been spikes in Singapore and presumably they don't want to import more problems this year. Plus the sight of all those tankers full of oil moored offshore isn't a good look. Don't know about Baku although most energy projects have shut down.

Russia is actually suffering more than we hear. I wouldn't expect that to go ahead.
Russia spreading disinformation ? Surely not!
Old 12 Jun 2020, 08:14 (Ref:3981473)   #1634
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Baku, Suzuka and Singapore now officially cancelled. Vietnam also expected to cancel. As they will not be visiting the region now surely also makes China likely to cancel?
Old 12 Jun 2020, 12:19 (Ref:3981540)   #1635
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i doubt china will want to cancel from a propaganda point of view...

also, regarding the mask situation i believe teams will be using fabric face coverings rather than surgical ones when their suppliers deliver.

Last edited by bella; 12 Jun 2020 at 12:27.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 12:34 (Ref:3981544)   #1636
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There’s a big gap in the calendar in October now. Maybe China will get a date in there if at all.

Meanwhile Austin is also looking doubtful. Also Mugello could get a GP, that I would like to see
Old 12 Jun 2020, 12:47 (Ref:3981549)   #1637
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
BBC's take is:

"BBC Sport understands it is now almost certain that two grands prix at Germany's Hockenheim track will be added later in September.Italy's Mugello circuit, which is owned by Ferrari, is prepared to host a race if necessary.
In addition, F1 is still exploring the possibility of reviving the postponed Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal on a September date before the onset of the Quebec winter.
However they play out, F1 is likely to move on to Sochi for the Russian Grand Prix in early October after these events.
But there is considerable uncertainty over the races in the United States, Mexico and Brazil - three countries where the coronavirus outbreaks are among the worst in the world."

I'd share Peter's scepticism about Russia - although again political pressures might militate against cancellation. Given Brazil's situation that must be unlikely....
Old 12 Jun 2020, 12:49 (Ref:3981551)   #1638
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The Canadian GP in Autumn like the old days, that would be interesting
Old 12 Jun 2020, 14:38 (Ref:3981570)   #1639
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Given Brazil's situation that must be unlikely....
Possibly bordering on insanity.....
Old 12 Jun 2020, 14:39 (Ref:3981571)   #1640
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is the layout for Mugello. Formula 1 visited the track in May 2012 for testing.

Old 12 Jun 2020, 17:02 (Ref:3981588)   #1641
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i doubt china will want to cancel from a propaganda point of view...

also, regarding the mask situation i believe teams will be using fabric face coverings rather than surgical ones when their suppliers deliver.
I'm not so sure the teams will want to be seen in China at the moment, particularly as the origin of the virus is allegedly unclear along with allegedly how long it was before it was reported after discovery. Some of the hard hit countries won't want China to make political/propoganda capital out of the GP.

The big corporates like Mercedes are dripping in social responsiblility, why would they want to be seen celebrating when their economy and frankly their own business will be hit so hard by the pandemic.

If I was FOM I would drop China on the basis the other events in the region aren't happening, so they will miss Asia this year...
Old 12 Jun 2020, 18:15 (Ref:3981597)   #1642
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How long before the anal retentive folks start arguing is this year's title really a title is they don't leave Europe?

Personally think it's a do what you can kind of year. Who knows, maybe something weird will happen on track and an odd result. Doubtful given the simulatiobs everyone runs but hey, strange things happen on rain races too. No asterisk, no not world title, everyone has the same rules and the same challenges. It is still a season of racing and you have to be better on average than all the others.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 19:06 (Ref:3981603)   #1643
S griffin
Veteran

First season in F1 had only seven races and the only one that didn’t take place in Europe was the Indy 500. So it’s the same situation for this potential calendar, minus the Indy 500 of course.

Maybe that’s a perfect way to celebrate the 70th anniversary....
Old 12 Jun 2020, 19:29 (Ref:3981605)   #1644
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
How long before the anal retentive folks start arguing is this year's title really a title is they don't leave Europe?
I wonder if it will be less about a Europe centric season and it might be the total number of races? If the count is significantly smaller, then there will be talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Personally think it's a do what you can kind of year. Who knows, maybe something weird will happen on track and an odd result. Doubtful given the simulatiobs everyone runs but hey, strange things happen on rain races too. No asterisk, no not world title, everyone has the same rules and the same challenges. It is still a season of racing and you have to be better on average than all the others.
As with anything, if your favorite driver/team does not win, then you have to place the blame elsewhere. So people will talk up the impacts to whoever they are a fan of. Even if, everyone is generally having the same experience.

Richard
Old 12 Jun 2020, 22:04 (Ref:3981626)   #1645
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It will be quite a different year. You could argue that you’ve had to cope with more this year, so if you come out on top well done.

People whinge, people are idiots. They should probably not watch because they are unlikely to gain much enjoyment.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 22:45 (Ref:3981635)   #1646
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

People whinge, people are idiots. They should probably not watch because they are unlikely to gain much enjoyment.
Agreed.

If you're going to question the legitimacy of a title because the series decided not to race in a location where the risk of spreading or catching a deadly virus was deemed too high, then that's not an opinion I'm interested in hearing.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 23:53 (Ref:3981639)   #1647
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Also agree. Much more to contend with this year.

Also more races and the points distribution favours the dominant team no?

Less races/shorter season could potentially mean a more competitive season.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 23:56 (Ref:3981640)   #1648
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In full agreement, everyone had the same playing field as before. Yes, it's not level but that's not F1. But your bad races aren't going to be hidden now. And rain, well that could ruin your season and frankly it's more up in the air. And it's F1 supposed to be the best team and adapting to the rules and restrictions is what the team does.

I'm fine with running all in Europe and acknowledging the challenges everyone is facing. No need to burn money just to puff your chest out about being of the world. The world's got a few other things going too, don't add to the pot.
Old 13 Jun 2020, 05:25 (Ref:3981656)   #1649
Moneyseeker
Veteran

I think a largely contained 'European' Championship in the current circumstances is a good thing and if it brings back some old school circuits that have dropped off the calendar in recent years, even better.
Old 13 Jun 2020, 07:52 (Ref:3981670)   #1650
S griffin
Veteran

This is just a short term solution to the current situation. It's not ideal, especially as we have to use circuits twice, but it's better than not having a season at all. Hopefully next year we can have more of a proper calendar again

And it's intriguing which circuits are used, already Imola is looking at a spot on the calendar