Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 22 Mar 2001, 14:47 (Ref:73589)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
just found a interesting article in a karting magazine about an event being held later this year in Launceston , Tasmania , Australia.

a oval race for karts..now this sounds like a heck of alot of fun..the event will be held on june 23 this year and is the second time it has been held ( the last being in the mid 1980's)
what makes this amazing is that the track is an indoor cycling veledrome ????

racing on wood is something that would be very entertaining and the banking on bike veledromes is pretty impressive.

drafting will be a big issue as once the karts are up to speed it is flat out all the way round and tactics will definately come into play.

competitors will have limited gearing to stop excessive speedsand must use smoke free 2 stroke oils and splatter free chain lube.

Clubman class karts will be the fastest things during the event and as a clubman racer myself it would be an amazing race to drive in. this would be really something else to see.

just wondering if anyone knows of any other ovals (besides dirt karting) that get used world wide ?????
Old 23 Mar 2001, 11:31 (Ref:73859)   #2
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the USA they run on some of the same asphalt ovals that Champ cars etc use.

Seriously weird chassis set up,offset to one side,driver lying down flat,staggered tyres,gearbox and non gearbox classes.

I have only run on a dirt oval and that was in a KT class and great fun to,i would love a oval race although i would want lotsa laps rather than a sprint race.
Old 31 Mar 2001, 01:55 (Ref:75625)   #3
Richard Kelly
Rookie

Richard Kelly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A couple of weeks ago the local Wellington Kart club was invited to put on a display at the speedway here (dirt oval), which rocked!

One of the guys with a twin 125cc kart was withing tenths of a second on the fastest modified cars!
Old 5 Apr 2001, 12:56 (Ref:77715)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as wooden tracks go...they were all the rage in America in the very early days.

As far as karts on a dirt oval- i've done that! great fun, but i just wish i fit into that kart a little better
Old 26 Apr 2001, 03:02 (Ref:85139)   #5
Kartracer
Rookie

Kartracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This sounds awesome. I wanna race there. I have always dreamed of racing a kart on a velodrome..it would be like a little indy.. Dose anyone have any more info and which club is promoting this??
This sounds like fun!!!!
Old 26 Apr 2001, 03:07 (Ref:85143)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think it would be excellent fun as well kartracer.

I always though an olympic running track would be pretty cool and never thought of a veledrome...now you have banking as well..cool.

the only info I have is that it is the Launceston kart club in Tasmania and the event is planned for the 23rd of june this year.
unfortunately i dont have any e mail address or web site address..but if you like in your AKA handbbok im sure you would be able to find a phone number to ring or something.

good luck.
Old 16 May 2001, 22:41 (Ref:93399)   #7
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only snag is you need a B grade licence, as it is classed as a temporary circuit. My son and I are new to karting and only have C grade licences.

We are working at getting up to a B grade so we can make it to Motorfest in Decmber. This is a temporay track built in ht back car park of the Derwent Entertainment Centre in Hobart. A great setting and just down the road from where we live.

Last edited by philneast; 16 May 2001 at 22:44.
Old 16 May 2001, 22:46 (Ref:93403)   #8
philneast
Racer

Australia
Here is a photo from last year's motorfest. Right by the river with mountains as backdrop.
Attached Thumbnails
motfest3.jpg  

Last edited by philneast; 16 May 2001 at 22:47.
Old 17 May 2001, 03:13 (Ref:93462)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
welcome to ten tenths Phil..good to have another karter around here..

am I right in saying that to obtain a B grade licence all you need to do is race on 3 different tracks in one calender year ??

I believe this is correct or it could be 5 Im not sure now..but that seems a fairly easy task to do..so good luck in your endevours to get your B grade licence and happy karting.
Old 17 May 2001, 11:06 (Ref:93530)   #10
philneast
Racer

Australia
Mostly right, I dug out my 2001 AKA manual and it is 10 signatures from 3 venues. Doesn't mention a calender year.

Seeing as my son and I both just got off our P plates it's a bit hard to get in 10 race meetings before the veldrome event.

I hope they hold it next year. But the same club is also hosting the Nationals in 2002, so they might be a bit busy.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 09:42 (Ref:99669)   #11
philneast
Racer

Australia
I recieved a copy of the supplementary regs

Gearing doesn't look to be set to slow the karts down but rather to keep the rear sprocket small to minimise risk of damageing the wooden track.

For a KT100J 12 front 78 rear, good for about 90ks.
for a Clubman KT100S 10 front 80 rear.

synthetic oil as supplied and chain lube as supplied. Chain must be washed and dry at scrutineering.

Seat height: the lowest point of the seat cannot be below the Kart chassis rails.

And a maximum of 10 karts per race.