Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 26 Jan 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2113864)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Preece, Dave

Anyone remember Dave Preece? Born 27 November 1941, he became a dentist by trade but was also very fine cyclist, and later an Autocross/Rallycross competitor of note. He is possibly best known for his racing exploits in the Oldham & Crowther Jaguar XK120, although I remember him more for being a quick driver of an Aston DB4 in the late 70s(?). Also the inspiration behind the ill fated Aston V8 engined Gipfast special built to the then GTP regs for the 1980 Le Mans. Preece did start the car in the Silverstone 6 hours that year only for a rear suspension (ball joint) failure to occur very early in the race. Unfortunately, it never made Le Mans because the various problems with it could not be overcome in time, and was later broken up.

Anyone know more about Preece or have any anecdotes that they wish to share?
Old 23 May 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2467561)   #2
tlracing
Rookie

tlracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After David Preece built the Gipfast Special (or DPLM DP/801/H, to give the non-sponsored title) and subsequently broke up the chassis, he used some of the parts in the second-generation, front-engined car (DPLM DP/812/H).

Apparently the Gipfast was only built because Preece interpreted the regs as needing a bespoke chassis; only later did he realise this wasn't necessary and he could have used the Lola T70 chassis he had around that the time, with various updates of course!

On the subject of the second car, does anyone have any pics of it? As I recall, it competed only once, in the Brands 1000kms in 1982.
Old 4 Oct 2015, 18:55 (Ref:3579538)   #3
99hjhm
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Internet
99hjhm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlracing View Post
After David Preece built the Gipfast Special (or DPLM DP/801/H, to give the non-sponsored title) and subsequently broke up the chassis, he used some of the parts in the second-generation, front-engined car (DPLM DP/812/H).

Apparently the Gipfast was only built because Preece interpreted the regs as needing a bespoke chassis; only later did he realise this wasn't necessary and he could have used the Lola T70 chassis he had around that the time, with various updates of course!

On the subject of the second car, does anyone have any pics of it? As I recall, it competed only once, in the Brands 1000kms in 1982.
Hope it's OK to dig this thread up.

My family own the second car (DP/812/H) and I'm currently looking for any contact information for Dave who I believe spends his most of his time in Spain.

The car is in one piece but hasn't seen any use since 2003 when we bought it out at Silverstone and suffered problems with the very complicated fuel Lucas fuel injection.

It's a very well engineered bit of kit, designed and built mainly by Ken Haywood in Preece's garage. Quite a few friends and enthusiasts helped with the project and I have tracked a couple of them down.

Should be on display with the AMOC at the Classic Motor show Show this year.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 17:48 (Ref:3957018)   #4
Mike R
Rookie

Mike R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99hjhm View Post
Hope it's OK to dig this thread up.

My family own the second car (DP/812/H) and I'm currently looking for any contact information for Dave who I believe spends his most of his time in Spain.

The car is in one piece but hasn't seen any use since 2003 when we bought it out at Silverstone and suffered problems with the very complicated fuel Lucas fuel injection.

It's a very well engineered bit of kit, designed and built mainly by Ken Haywood in Preece's garage. Quite a few friends and enthusiasts helped with the project and I have tracked a couple of them down.

Should be on display with the AMOC at the Classic Motor show Show this year.
Hi, I just had to register to reply to this.
I went to junior school with 2 of Dave's sons from I think his 2nd marriage. A while later he lived just down the road from me when Ken worked on his AM. His friend Mike Ridley also lived in the village and they displayed the DB5 & an E Type (possibly lightweight roadster) in the village summer fayte.
Later Ken Heywood (yes correct spelling) moved his business to the St George's area of Telford and then Lilly Hurst Farm (small trading estate) where I believe he still is. I spoke with Ken about 18 months ago. I was uncertain whether I would get a reply on the phone because I believe he must be about 83 this year. Ken is a really lovely guy and a really skilled engineer.
As for Dave, I don't even know if he's still alive, but the younger of his two sons who I went to school with I believe followed his old man into the Dentistry profession. Mr J C Preece - Newport Dental Practice Shropshire. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Mike R; 11 Feb 2020 at 18:16.
Old 21 Nov 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4084729)   #5
Salsin
Rookie

Salsin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave Preece

I certainly remember him as a very rapid autocross driver. I photographed him at a number of venues in the Midlands in 1968/69, and also at a Lydden Rallycross.
First pic. taken at a Shenstone event in Jan 1969 and the second at Lydden in that October.
Mike Dodman
Attached Thumbnails
n6901_29a.jpg   n6927_27.jpg