Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 16 Apr 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3060490)   #1
S14
Racer

Ireland
Rocky Mountain Region, United States
S14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting into racing (in the United States)

So, I'm twenty two, living and studying in the United States, and I'm hoping to finally get into racing. So, the inevitable question of "How do I get into racing?" is on my lips. I'm looking at getting a job with some sort of racing team, probably an ALMS GT class team - I have no expectation of driving (unless it's to get parts/tyres/coffee) but I figure getting my foot in the door, being around the cars and racing, and making some money is definitely a better choice than just hoping for a drive to come along. Of course, I'd like to be driving, so I'm looking for advice with regard to what series would be appropriate for a beginner, what sort of costs I should expect, where to go to driving school, and that sort of thing.

I've been looking at Formula Vee as an option, since it looks like it could be a good way to get my feet wet, with a car that I can reasonably do most of the maintenance on, and without having to worry about massive costs (it looks like getting into it would cost between $5000-$15,000). However, I'm concerned that my options may be somewhat limited by my location - I split my time between Colorado and New Mexico, and it doesn't seem like there are many tracks nearby. And I can't seem to find if there's a particularly active Formula Vee scene in my region.

Also, I wear contact lenses. Would I be able to race in them, or would I have to wear spectacles instead? Are prescription helmet lenses available, and if they are, are they allowed by the rules?

Thanks, everyone.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3060558)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Getting a job at a race team and being a driver is apples and oranges in my book.

As far as being a driver it would depend what you aspirations are. If you have no pro ambitions you can probably start with a low cost SCCA/NASA series and do some of their schools.

If you are more serious about it, I would spend the $4k for a 3 day formula car school and go to Skip Barber or Bridgestone Racing School in Canada or if you want to spend more, go to Jim Russell in California. You'll learn a lot and you'll also get a better grasp of where you are in terms of your abilities.

Colorado has a pretty active racing scene. When Second Creek Raceway bit the dust, a bunch of car clubs built High Plains Raceway east of Denver on the prairie. SCCA, NASA, PCA, BMWCA, etc. all use this track and it looks like a nice facility from what I have seen.

http://highplainsraceway.com/track.html

Their schedule is on their website, so I would head over on some of their race weekends to make some contacts.

There is also Pueblo Motorsports Park.

http://www.pueblomotorsportspark.us/index.aspx?NID=1

And there is Pikes Peak International Raceway:

http://www.ppir.com/

After the indy racin' league nearly destroyed the track financially, it was supposed to be plowed under and turned into a Home Depot, but it was bought by a group of locals and saved to be used for local racing and they have plans to extend the road course.

In addition you have Hallett and Heartland out in Oklahoma and Kansas that have a lot of club racing going on and the big pro facility, Miller Motorsports Park in Utah.

SCCA in Colorado:

http://www.coloradoscca.org/

In my opinion there is a lot going on and there are even some race teams in Denver.

Good luck.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3060573)   #3
S14
Racer

Ireland
Rocky Mountain Region, United States
S14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apples and oranges, sure, but a job with a team puts me in a position where I'm around racing, which is better use of my summer than being on my couch and playing Gran Turismo. And I may be able to make connections that eventually push me in the direction of driving, but even if I don't, I'll have been involved, and that makes it a worthwhile time.

It sounds like I'm going to want to go to driving school - do you have any recommendations in that regard? I've heard of Skip Barber and Bridgestone, but not Jim Russell. You say the latter is more expensive, do you get anything more or different for your money versus Skip Barber?

Given that Colorado has a pretty active racing scene (which is a pleasant surprise for me!) would it make any sense to get into an amateur series before I go to driving school? Even if I can't make a go of it professionally, racing is something I've long wanted to do, and amateur racing would let me practice (and more importantly, develop) my skills and have a good time while I'm at it. I'll check out the SCCA website, but do you have any suggestions for a good beginner's series which I might look into? And what is NASA (in this context, as I'm assuming you don't mean the National Aeronautics and Space Administration)?
Old 17 Apr 2012, 00:19 (Ref:3060598)   #4
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another point of view . . .

A racing school of any description might still be of use because they are `arrive & drive'. You don't need to buy the driver's suit (~$500), helmet (~500), Nomex underwear ($ ??), shoes (~ ?), gloves, etc.

http://auto-racing-schools.findthebest.com/

Good luck with your plans.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 00:39 (Ref:3060610)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14 View Post
Apples and oranges, sure, but a job with a team puts me in a position where I'm around racing, which is better use of my summer than being on my couch and playing Gran Turismo. And I may be able to make connections that eventually push me in the direction of driving, but even if I don't, I'll have been involved, and that makes it a worthwhile time.

It sounds like I'm going to want to go to driving school - do you have any recommendations in that regard? I've heard of Skip Barber and Bridgestone, but not Jim Russell. You say the latter is more expensive, do you get anything more or different for your money versus Skip Barber?

Given that Colorado has a pretty active racing scene (which is a pleasant surprise for me!) would it make any sense to get into an amateur series before I go to driving school? Even if I can't make a go of it professionally, racing is something I've long wanted to do, and amateur racing would let me practice (and more importantly, develop) my skills and have a good time while I'm at it. I'll check out the SCCA website, but do you have any suggestions for a good beginner's series which I might look into? And what is NASA (in this context, as I'm assuming you don't mean the National Aeronautics and Space Administration)?
http://www.nasaproracing.com/

I think Skip Barber is the time tested curriculum and school and while it is going through a lot of changes as a company, it's a good starting point for an amateur driver. $4000 sounds like a lot but for 3 days of using someone's elses track, cars and instructors, I don't think it's a bad deal and you'll come out of it with a good grasp of some basics.

Jim Russell, now Simraceway PDC, is more modern and training is done in Lola F3 cars with modern data systems, but you pay a lot more for that.

In terms of schooling before racing, some people will just say hey man get out there and drive and if this was tennis I would say have at it. But when it comes to things like cars and firearms, which you can harm yourself or other people with, I think it's a good idea to get some solid, professional instruction in before you go out on your own.

The other thing is that in every racing school I have been a part of across multiple continents there is always the video game whiz who has a preconception of what driving on track is and when once in the car at speed, ends up cleaning the poop stain out of their underwear or just outright refuses to get back in the car. So it's why a good school like Skip Barber can be of help and you'll be able to see what you really think about being on track and how reality matches up to fantasy.

Some of these clubs also have their own schools, but from what I have seen the quality varies as the vast majority are not professional instructors and you can come across some that are great, there are many who probably wouldn't know a whole lot more than you. I think those club schools are good for getting club specific instruction, but again I go back to getting some experience from a professional school first as a foundation.

What I would suggest is to talk to some of the local clubs and find out what is popular locally and then go from there. NASA has some good classes such as Spec E30 that are not too expensive.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 08:29 (Ref:3060748)   #6
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have you ever driven around a race track? gotten a taste for racing?

about ten years ago I was having similar thoughts to yours, then I got a chance to do a track experience... a few of them. And I realized I have no future as a race car driver. Yea its fun, but professionally speaking I doubt its for me.

I would highly recommend you give it a try before you invest any major money into it. SRT track experience for example is a very cheap way to try, over a course of a day, about a dozen cars, doing different modules... everything from autocross to full track (and I've done Pikes Peak in Colorado, which was amazing) Just to have a look-see if its for you.

A cheap alternative of getting involved with racing without spending a fortune is volunteering as a marshal. I thought about doing that in the US but was sort of brushed off when I tried at a NASA event... luckily I had another opportunity overseas and now I'm absolutely hooked. You get to do so many things that put you extremely close to the action... but of course you don't get paid.

I think its worth giving it a go... and if you enjoy it - great, if not - you'll still be around a bunch of drivers who can potentially give you ideas on how to do it yourself so it would work out either way.

Good luck!