Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 13 Apr 2012, 05:53 (Ref:3058191)   #1
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Why do i get slower?

Hi guys,

Odd conundrum that is starting to bug me.

Over the past few seasons i have developed a trait that, while not devastating, is far from ideal.

My fastest lap always tends to be set within my first 3 flying laps of a stint (in some cases, day!), then i tend to settle into a pace about 1/10th off of that. I should add that the tyres we use are endurance tyres and can happily last a 24hr kart race, so basically, its me, not the kart. Everyone else who hops in it tends to display the usual trait of getting progressivley faster as the stint goes on.

It's the same when i do something like Bowling for example, first game is always 130+pts, then after that i am lucky to get over 100!!!!

So, what's wrong with my bonce?
Old 13 Apr 2012, 08:10 (Ref:3058223)   #2
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post

So, what's wrong with my bonce?
TRY less.
Just do

I bet some of your in-laps are blinders...
Old 13 Apr 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3058224)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
TRY less.
Just do
[Yoda]There is no try - only do or do not[/Yoda]

Sorry, just your post did sound like Yoda in my head
Old 13 Apr 2012, 09:50 (Ref:3058270)   #4
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's probably a mix of trying to go harder (but actually succeeding in over-driving) and potentially, fatigue (at least later on in the stint; if you were tired after four laps I'd be worried).

Also, if you're only a 1/10th off of your fastest lap for the rest of your stint, I wouldn't be too worried in an endurance race, that is pretty incredible consistency.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3058312)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What are your concentration levels like? I have the same problem, I can be quick for a few laps then it all goes to pot and I get bored and lose concentration especially if there's no one around me to race with. One thing that can help is to take on plenty of fluids before you race as dehydration is a big problem.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3058455)   #6
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
One thing that can help is to take on plenty of fluids before you race as dehydration is a big problem.

I tried that Tim, but no matter how much oil and water I put in the car, I'm never any faster!
Old 13 Apr 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3058541)   #7
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post

Also, if you're only a 1/10th off of your fastest lap for the rest of your stint, I wouldn't be too worried in an endurance race, that is pretty incredible consistency.
Depending on your outright pace relative to the front of the field. Driving within a 10th per lap is some kind of measure of an amazing driver whereas data teaches us that it can be a driver circulating at their personal peformance level and making 10 different mistakes per lap for the same net result
Old 13 Apr 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3058574)   #8
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
In clear air, i am usually that consistant. I can lose time in traffic sometimes by being over-conservative though.

I guess it's a bit of everything. I go out, blast out a good lap, start to try too hard, then mind wanders (I remember going around in a race last year thinking about what bills i needed to pay in the next week.....) then i get tired. What a cocktail.

Perhaps meditation is the answer?
Old 14 Apr 2012, 10:38 (Ref:3058832)   #9
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peat,
A second mind on the problem?
If not pro teaching, then another driver to watch you from trackside and then discuss your lap/s. This can, and should be, mutual - you comment on his driving.

Or, a mechanical mind! Is data logging possible in karts, or affordable? Then you can compare your early and later laps and identify where you are going slower.

John
Old 14 Apr 2012, 11:18 (Ref:3058865)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
One thing that can help is to take on plenty of fluids before you race as dehydration is a big problem.
That probably makes you faster as your need to go wee-wee increases as the race progresses!
Old 14 Apr 2012, 11:51 (Ref:3058887)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
That probably makes you faster as your need to go wee-wee increases as the race progresses!
We once got delayed in assembly at Pembrey and some nice freinds of mine thought it quite amusing to make running water noises and generally wind me up to the point that I had to dash to the loo which was at the other end of the paddock, *******s.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3058930)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
We once got delayed in assembly at Pembrey and some nice freinds of mine thought it quite amusing to make running water noises and generally wind me up to the point that I had to dash to the loo which was at the other end of the paddock, *******s.
A couple of years ago my wife was marshalling in the pit lane at Anglesey. In the middle of a race a certain ten-tenths member & former Jaguar XJ40 racer pulled into the pit lane & leapt out of his car. She asked him if it was serious; his reply was "no, but it will be if I don't get to the toilet!"
Old 20 Apr 2012, 14:55 (Ref:3062668)   #13
dwf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Penkridge, Staffs
dwf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know what you mean Peat. When I used to run in longer races last season, my fastest lap would be on lap 8 out of say 50! I found it was more to do with me trying different lines to go quicker, but they were actually slower. I guess going deeper and deeper on the brakes might be another thing as I always try and drive deeper into a corner every lap (in the end outbraking myself!) instead of sticking with what I know is quick.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3062798)   #14
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
If concentration is a problem then this is one area where driving games can be a useful tool.
Learn to do 30 - 45min races and force yourself to focus utterly on wha you are doing.

It is a jedi mind trick. Do one thing at a time.
Brake for the corner, let it go
Turn the corner, let it go
Exit off the corner, let it go

Dive only what is in front of you

Mistakes are behind you. Fix them on the next lap when they are in front of you

Things get very peaceful in your head and everything seems to slow down giving you more time to do your job
Old 20 Apr 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3062811)   #15
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Haha I remember when I raced at the Teesside 24hr last year one of the top teams had an intercom, the driver was complaining that he really needed a pee for the last half hour of his stint but they wouldn't let him come in to pit....some of the radio communications to and from driver had us all in stitches!
Old 21 Apr 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3063095)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That reminds me of an occasion whilst waiting for the Rolling Start at one of the 300Klm races at the Ring,everyone sitting there with engines running,one of the front cars was suddenly switched off,driver got out and made his way over to the pits,couple of minute later he reappears,to the greeting from the race commentator "Welcome back Mr ------,is it ok if we start now please?" Spent the next 17 odd miles laughing my head off!