Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 5 Mar 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3035384)   #1
lovef1
Rookie

lovef1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
driving on a damp track on wet tires

hello there peeps,

I am 19 years old and I have just started racing go karts, would've wanted to start earlier but unfortunately I didn't have the right funds to proceed until now. I have participated in 2 races, and for both races my results were less then spectacular, it was down right crap. Well, it's expected as I have just started and the rest of the drivers are pretty experienced. My question here is, on both occasions that I raced, some parts of the track were wet, and all the drivers including myself opted to go on dry tires. Problem is I cannot keep the kart on the road as soon as I go on the wet stuff, whereas the other drivers do. They make it look easy, is there anything I'm missing. It's really frustrating because I make myself look really stupid. By the end of the heats I was constatntly 1 lap behind, in an 8 lap heat, because i spun EVERY single lap. I tried everything, i tried braking on the dry but the kart would just understeer in the entry of the corner and snap on me at the exit. Can you guys please give me some tips as I'm looking on improving my driving? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 14:06 (Ref:3035388)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
You can easily burn up a set of wets in an 8lap heat if the track isnt wet enough so learning how to use slicks in the wet/damp is important.

Key to driving in the damp on slicks is temperature. You have to be quite agressive on the wheel to keep them hot. I tend to hammer it to full lock on the approach to a corner and lean over the outside front wheel. The kart will snow-plow (understeer)but will grip when the speed/surface friction allow. Usually around the outside of the track. Then it's a case of balancing the power to get it around the rest of the corner.

I don't know if you drive a clutched kart or DD (presuming clutched if you can spin every lap and only finish a lap down...) but in a DD i find that keeping the throttle open 10% helps the kart turn.

It's all a matter of confidence, believing it will grip. I know it felt really spooky to me at first, bt once your passed that you will be flying.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3035389)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovef1 View Post
hello there peeps,

I am 19 years old and I have just started racing go karts, would've wanted to start earlier but unfortunately I didn't have the right funds to proceed until now. I have participated in 2 races, and for both races my results were less then spectacular, it was down right crap. Well, it's expected as I have just started and the rest of the drivers are pretty experienced. My question here is, on both occasions that I raced, some parts of the track were wet, and all the drivers including myself opted to go on dry tires. Problem is I cannot keep the kart on the road as soon as I go on the wet stuff, whereas the other drivers do. They make it look easy, is there anything I'm missing. It's really frustrating because I make myself look really stupid. By the end of the heats I was constatntly 1 lap behind, in an 8 lap heat, because i spun EVERY single lap. I tried everything, i tried braking on the dry but the kart would just understeer in the entry of the corner and snap on me at the exit. Can you guys please give me some tips as I'm looking on improving my driving? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

PRACTICE PRACTICE...AND YES PRACTICE!!!!

what kart are you driving?

if its a 2 stroke you will be suprised how much of a difference set up will make!....increse tyre pressures, move the backs in, fronts out, increase rideheight and stiffen the kart up, change the sprocket to stop the kart spinning up a bit...it will make a difference!!!

then learn to race off line!....in the dry a lot of rubber is put on the racing line...in the wet it gets slippy..so race off line half a kart or so....try different lines into corners...it makes a difference!.....
Old 5 Mar 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3035392)   #4
lovef1
Rookie

thanx for the quick response Peat, definitely going to give ur advice ago the next time i'm on a wet track.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3035393)   #5
lovef1
Rookie

thanx ascar for the quick response. I rarely get to practice, maybe that's part of the reason.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 15:08 (Ref:3035407)   #6
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovef1 View Post
thanx ascar for the quick response. I rarely get to practice, maybe that's part of the reason.
what class are you racing in or is it arrive and drive?
Old 5 Mar 2012, 15:50 (Ref:3035418)   #7
lovef1
Rookie

@ascar it's arrive and drive, and the kart i drive is an 80 cc 2 stroke kart. The main idea behind this racing club is you start of with an 80 cc 2 stroke and after 1 season you are within the top 15 in the championship standings you proceed to the next series which is the 125 cc 2 stroke. I'm using this club to basically improve my driving ability and soon I will buy my own kart and race in a dedicated series.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:12 (Ref:3035465)   #8
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Which club is that? Sounds good!
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3035478)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I'll leave this here for a little while and then move it over to the Kart Racers forum, you may get some more help there.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3035630)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If you could get the opportunity to drive a kart or a car on a damp grassy field you will be half way there.
You can learn to control a drift without spinning after a while and hone that "fine edge"and not hit anything. I suppose I was lucky to work at a garage in my "yoof" with a field right next door and had access to mot failure cars that were destined for the scrap yard.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Mar 2012, 22:42 (Ref:3035673)   #11
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Yep, son of a farmer here. My years of hooning around in cars/bikes on wet grass/stubble has turned me into quite the rain-meister on the track!
Old 6 Mar 2012, 08:12 (Ref:3035793)   #12
lovef1
Rookie

@Peat it's called my-kart. it's basically a low cost racing club for racing enthusiast.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3035804)   #13
adamwilkinson
Racer

adamwilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sound advice above. Dont be too disheartened by the fact they are better than you at the moment - everyone has to learn at some point.

As Ascar said, its really all about seat time - doesn't matter what kart you're in (although using one which you'll be racing will make it easier for you to learn its characteristics) just get out there and practice

Remember that the throttle is not an on/off switch in the wet. Also, in between heats go and watch how the fast guys are cornering - 2 stroke makes its easier to hear what they are doing with the throttle.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3035812)   #14
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Ah, so you're in Malaysia?

So, learning to drive in the wet is going to be crucial!

Further to the other advice of more seat-time - you need some track time without pressure, i.e practice sessions. You need to be able to try a few things out and find things out for yourself. In the wet/damp, you need to 'Hunt' the grip, try different lines and find where the track gives better grip.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 09:07 (Ref:3035820)   #15
lovef1
Rookie

@Peat, ye i'm trying to go to the track to practice alone this weekend. I'm going to try to experiment with different lines, braking points, tire pressures etc. I'll update you my progress. And thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it...
Old 6 Mar 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3036070)   #16
dwf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Penkridge, Staffs
dwf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can not say much more than Peat has said. I was lucky that when I started it was the winter in Britain so had to jump in and learn quickly. Just search for where you can feel the grip and like Peat said, off the normal racing line helps.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 17:06 (Ref:3036099)   #17
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Best way to learn slicks in the damp/wet is to go out for a whole rainy day on them and just go round and round and round (the circuit that is!). The ones I used to drive (100cc Direct Drive) wouldn't turn on the brakes or over-run so you needed to get the kart slowed in a fairly straight line then pick the throttle up VERY slightly to get it to turn. Then it's all about balance and being GENTLE with the throttle. Usually the main problem is oiling up the spark plug with all the low throttle use, so as soon as you get stright give it plenty and practice controlling the fishtail. After lots practice you'll be able to slide it into a corner at any nearly angle and keep it under control while feeling for the grip. As said above, the grip is rarely on the racing line in the wet. Good Luck
Old 7 Mar 2012, 03:49 (Ref:3036310)   #18
lovef1
Rookie

@dwf1 and dtype38, thank you so much for the advice. I have another question, I apologize in advance if it sounds stupid. But I plan on walking the track for the first time this weekend, I don't know why I haven't walked the track in the past 2 races. But what am I suppose to look for while walking around the track? Thank you all in advance.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3036366)   #19
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Look for bits that may have extra grip. Look for the rough spots on the Tarmac. Look if there are any dips that may accumulate water in the rain. Check out any odd bumps you may have felt when driving. Slide your feet along the ground and feel what is grippier than the rest. Chat to others, ask their advice, find out how they manage to go so much quicker than you.

And sometimes it pays to look at an area then squat down to your racing eye level to remind yourself what you see when you're racing!

A brilliant chance to meet the other guys and to sort out what you're doing wrong.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3036468)   #20
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Also check out the kerbings and white lines for what sort of paint they've used. Some kerbs and lines are like gloss paint and must be avoided, but others have grippy rough paint and can sometimes have more grip than the tarmac. Also note any changes of surface across joint lines or where new sections have been laid. They often have different grip levels which will affect how you take the corner. EG. a newish smooth section on the inside of a corner might be the shortest line, but slippery as hell on slicks in the wet. The old rough hardly used bit around the outside of the corner is probably much quicker.

It's worth noting that watching or following some of the experienced drivers in the wet isn't always the best place to start. They may adjust their line in the wet, but the lines they use may only be quicker for drivers with more practice and finer kart control. Until you get that, just practice trying to find the grip and being gentle with the throttle. It may seem slow, but it's usually quicker than spinning each lap.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 09:12 (Ref:3060784)   #21
danemsteve
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicester
danemsteve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You need alot more practice while in the wet try get a decent setup and try not to over do the throttle in corners be much smoother on it as in our class if its really really wet with lots of puddles we have to race in slick tyres no wets allowed which to be honest is a hell lot of fun and saves costs