Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2024, 10:51 (Ref:4202232)   #2126
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Others in the paddock seem to see attributes in Albon that I must have missed. To me he has always been relatively inconsistent and still liable to make a rash move or crash the car despite many F1 races under his belt. Even rumbles of a return to Red Bull - could he really pull out a pole lap and race winning performance on every track, every weekend?
Not everyone. I see him as pleasant but a little over-rated and was surprised when he got to F1 in the first place.

Williams has been an effective one-car team for quite a few years now, so it's not that easy to make a real judgement I guess.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 11:21 (Ref:4202234)   #2127
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It'll be interesting to see what happens if Albon breaks Sargent's car in FP3 or qualifying. What will Williams do then? If they can't take the start, surely there's some financial penalty for that... on top of the "penalty" they already have of a destroyed/broken tub.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 11:46 (Ref:4202236)   #2128
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
It'll be interesting to see what happens if Albon breaks Sargent's car in FP3 or qualifying. What will Williams do then? If they can't take the start, surely there's some financial penalty for that... on top of the "penalty" they already have of a destroyed/broken tub.
I would think young Alexander would feel a very sill boy if he managed to break two of them!
Old 22 Mar 2024, 12:01 (Ref:4202241)   #2129
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And the mob in SkyF1 reckon Williams is a genuine option for Mr Sainz?
WOW!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Mar 2024, 12:17 (Ref:4202243)   #2130
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
Yup, I’m much more an Albon fan than a Sargent fan but this is a poor decision.
It's the only sane decision. Albon is much more likely to score points. If Sargent was quicker it'd be him in the sole car - he has no case for being the team's remaining entrant this weekend, his performances last season are the reason he gets to sit this one out.

Quote:
Others in the paddock seem to see attributes in Albon that I must have missed. To me he has always been relatively inconsistent and still liable to make a rash move or crash the car despite many F1 races under his belt. Even rumbles of a return to Red Bull - could he really pull out a pole lap and race winning performance on every track, every weekend?
He's decent rather than exceptional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I guess there was no option to bring a 2023 tub with them?
For that to be an option you'd need a big carry over of parts from one years car to the next, otherwise you'd need to bring 2023 suspension, bodywork etc. All 'just in case'.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 12:37 (Ref:4202245)   #2131
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In the video from Mr Vowles on the Williams Instagram, he takes full ownership of the driver swap decision, of the team not having a spare car, and admits the Albon wreck, or the tub anyway, will be sent back to the UK for repair and return to Japan for 2 weeks time.

There isn’t a spare ‘24 tub..
Old 22 Mar 2024, 12:46 (Ref:4202249)   #2132
Vassago
Rookie

Vassago should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Not everyone. I see him as pleasant but a little over-rated and was surprised when he got to F1 in the first place.

Williams has been an effective one-car team for quite a few years now, so it's not that easy to make a real judgement I guess.

Albon is another of long line of drivers who looks good/above average in mid-tier car but is absolutely not good enough to win in a top car.

I still remember the moaning about Fisichella deserving a top car and then he got knocked out by Alonso when he finally got a chance.

Albon will carve himself a career as solid driver for midpack teams but you can forget about him challenging for Top 5s let alone podiums in normal circumstances.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 12:47 (Ref:4202250)   #2133
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It's the only sane decision. Albon is much more likely to score points. If Sargent was quicker it'd be him in the sole car - he has no case for being the team's remaining entrant this weekend, his performances last season are the reason he gets to sit this one out.

He's decent rather than exceptional.

For that to be an option you'd need a big carry over of parts from one years car to the next, otherwise you'd need to bring 2023 suspension, bodywork etc. All 'just in case'.
In the absence of a 24 tub, bringing a 23 car albeit in bits would have been prudent
Old 22 Mar 2024, 12:54 (Ref:4202252)   #2134
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Would an old tub be allowed, passed 2024 crash tests, homologation requirements etc?
Old 22 Mar 2024, 12:58 (Ref:4202254)   #2135
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
In the absence of a 24 tub, bringing a 23 car albeit in bits would have been prudent
It's a lot of extra freight though - how many spares do you bring for it? It all adds cost - and the chances of it being needed are very small (although as we've seen - not entirely out of the question!).
Old 22 Mar 2024, 13:45 (Ref:4202264)   #2136
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Would an old tub be allowed, passed 2024 crash tests, homologation requirements etc?
That's an interesting question. I don't know the answer. The question is if there were any 2024 regulation changes that might invalidate the 2023 car. If none and the prior car was homologated against an unchanged ruleset then it might be technically allowable. But as pointed out earlier, it is infeasible for the reason that the 2023 and 2024 car are different enough that it would be a lot of year specific spare parts to haul around. Clearly the answer is they need a spare 2024 tub and I believe that is their plan. They were late with the items for the two 2024 cars, so they are behind on having a spare 2024 tub ready.

Richard
Old 22 Mar 2024, 14:12 (Ref:4202270)   #2137
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
This is why Williams will not be taken seriously again and always be a mid-field scrapper. The investment and resources of the top teams are such a leap.

Having said that to not have a spare chassis 3 races in is not a good look.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 14:30 (Ref:4202275)   #2138
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This is why Williams will not be taken seriously again and always be a mid-field scrapper. The investment and resources of the top teams are such a leap.

Having said that to not have a spare chassis 3 races in is not a good look.
You may have missed it as it is from the prior page, but you should watch the video that GTRMagic posted prior. In short Williams used the transition from 2023 to 2024 season to switch over to a new manufacturing and inventory tracking system. It was a big one time switch and was disruptive. This resulted in parts showing up last minute.

After watching the video you can maybe say that someone put "2" instead of "3" in the Excel spreadsheet for the "tub" row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Where would the team be without Mr Vowles & Mr Fry to tip the toys out of the toy box and starting again…

Here

Metal instead of carbon? WOW!
Video I mentioned ^^^

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 22 Mar 2024 at 14:39.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 15:58 (Ref:4202285)   #2139
v8supes
Racer

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All that video has told me is that I’m not smart enough to work in F1…

Well, I knew it already but good to get it confirmed
Old 22 Mar 2024, 15:59 (Ref:4202286)   #2140
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And the mob in SkyF1 reckon Williams is a genuine option for Mr Sainz?
WOW!
Presumably Ted Kravitz said that......
Old 23 Mar 2024, 13:17 (Ref:4202405)   #2141
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Crashed Albon Chassis Air Freighted to UK

No spare, no guarantee damaged chassis is repairable…
Old 23 Mar 2024, 14:15 (Ref:4202410)   #2142
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Crashed Albon Chassis Air Freighted to UK

No spare, no guarantee damaged chassis is repairable…
Any tub is repairable. You just need to chuck enough at it.
Old 23 Mar 2024, 14:39 (Ref:4202414)   #2143
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Every broom is repairable if you change out the head and handle.
Old 23 Mar 2024, 15:57 (Ref:4202418)   #2144
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I asked the question for you, especially as you might be surprised how many teams carry over tubs each year with “new” cars.

Apparently their new car is totally different with the 2024 tub having an amazing ten times as many components as their 2023 tub.
Old 23 Mar 2024, 16:13 (Ref:4202419)   #2145
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I asked the question for you, especially as you might be surprised how many teams carry over tubs each year with “new” cars.

Apparently their new car is totally different with the 2024 tub having an amazing ten times as many components as their 2023 tub.
I'm glad you asked a question that was already answered in the linked article.

"If you go back to root cause it's the fact that we've added significant processes, we've completely changed how we make a chassis,” says Vowles.

“There's almost 10 times the amount of parts in a chassis compared to last year. That's a level of complexity that takes an organisation to a new level.”
Old 23 Mar 2024, 19:38 (Ref:4202444)   #2146
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Which illustrates quite nicely what happens when the designers haven't had the chance to learn about production efficiency while working for the likes of Ralt or Reynard.The discipline of achieving a good outcome while not making the process complicated and expensive hasn't been driven into those who entered the business during the unlimited spending era.
Old 23 Mar 2024, 20:10 (Ref:4202447)   #2147
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Which illustrates quite nicely what happens when the designers haven't had the chance to learn about production efficiency while working for the likes of Ralt or Reynard.The discipline of achieving a good outcome while not making the process complicated and expensive hasn't been driven into those who entered the business during the unlimited spending era.
Exactly, but expect that to go totally over the head of those who only believe ‘facts’ from press releases….
Old 23 Mar 2024, 21:09 (Ref:4202448)   #2148
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome to the back of Formula1's grid. Reminds me of the heyday of Uni-grad MBA's that couldn't run a lemonade stand. In mid summer...
Old 24 Mar 2024, 09:53 (Ref:4202509)   #2149
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at least they should have got a good look at the Merc floor which should save them some cash in the design department / ( whether its a do or do not do this learning experience is up for debate)
Old 24 Mar 2024, 13:23 (Ref:4202533)   #2150
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Williams are always reorganising and to do this to the detriment of what the team exists for, which is to put two cars on the grid is hardly a good strategy.

Sent from my SM-M336B using Tapatalk