Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 20 Aug 2006, 15:09 (Ref:1687403)   #1
nihil
Racer

nihil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Embroidered patches

I'm looking around for quotes on making a (very) limited run of embroidered patches (maybe two colour, from Illustrator files, or pdf). Anyone here know of a good, cheap company they can recommend?
Old 20 Aug 2006, 15:22 (Ref:1687422)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Type 'embroidered patches' into Google, there are loads of companies on there.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1687569)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But if they're going on racesuits forget it!

Go to a racewear manufacturer and get the right thing for the rules
Old 20 Aug 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1687711)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I do embroidery amoungst other things and did look into this (embroidery on to race suits), actually as I recollect you should be OK with patches but not with embroidering directly on the race suits (presuming that is what you want to do) even with nomex thread. You can get patches that heat press on and that may be a better option as you do not need to punture the suit. Though be prepared to pay a bit to set up the file (digitise), I do have some very powerful software called Corel DRAWings (Not Corel Draw but from the same people) where I can convert an illy file into an embroidery file, if you want to email it to me I will at least have a look at it and see what is envolved and if the file is doable.

PS mods I am not touting for work as I am more into embroidering direct on to garments and selling the garments than patches.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1687730)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
PS mods I am not touting for work as I am more into embroidering direct on to garments and selling the garments than patches.
That's OK providing I get a bung
Old 20 Aug 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1687734)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Patches should still be attached through the outer layer of cloth only, and on flame retardant backings using flame retardant thread.

NB The word "should" not "must" is used, but if you want a regular argument with scrutineers then go ahead :-) If you use "iron on" patches, be prepared to prove they're not flammable. Personally I couldn't be @r5ed so run with a plain suit.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1687744)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ask the MSA direct like I did and you will get a confused answer, in fact it transpires as I understand it, that that those expensive suits you see F1 teams and the like wearing are in fact embroidered on the outer skin before the suit is finally assembled and thats expensive I bet. I do believe that you cannot punture the suit entirely even with fire resistant thread and I can assure there is no other way of embroidering and assembled garment without doing this.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1687745)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If it's just name badges you're after then send a PM to FLYING MUPPET

he can supply badges, normally 1 colour name on different colour background
Old 20 Aug 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1687761)   #9
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Al,
I think you are partly right - see this eBay auction for Shumacher suit. The larger logoed areas - Marlboro, Vodafone - have stitching going through them, so they are printed before assembly, but other badges - eg the Shell, the Ferrari/Marlboro - have the stitching underneath.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-MICHAEL-S...QQcmdZViewItem

John
Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1687957)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
£3k for a second hand suit, bargain eh! :-)
Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1687974)   #11
nihil
Racer

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
But if they're going on racesuits forget it!

Go to a racewear manufacturer and get the right thing for the rules
Its actually for some old sets of overalls that I want to frame and give away (perhaps sell and raise some more money...) and the designs are being created by an artist to look like sponsors logos, but contain quotes and aphorisms about racing (Haven't seen the finished designs yet...)

So I did google around, but the smallest run I've found is in batches of fifty which is not really appropriate.

Thanks for the offer Al, but I've got an art school background, so can pretty much turn any file into anything that's necessary but if you have any idea how much a nearly unique run is likely to cost I'd be grateful (even more grateful if you can offer a quote )
Old 21 Aug 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1688008)   #12
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey guys,

I've had the above argument with scruts before, the outcome of the conversation was that patches are OK considering the amount of suit 'penetration' is minimal. Embroidery on the other hand removes a large amount of the fire resistant material and therefore is more dangerous.

IMO the scruts cant tell the difference between nomex thread and cotton thread so if they ask, lie! haha! (joke)
Old 21 Aug 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1688064)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
nihil with respect mate unless you have 6k's worth of embroidery digitising software and training in that area and I assure you it is unlike any other design disipline you will ever encounter, you will not be able to make an embroidery file from your artwork. I can from an Illustrator vector file via my DRAWings package as this revolutionary software I have which only works with vectors not bitmaps digitising becomes a much simpler task (if you know what you are doing of course), thats all I was offering as normally they will want at least £30 t0 £50 to digitise from your artwork. Email the vector file (eps, coreldraw, windows metafile etc) with fonts turned to outlines/curves, NOT a bitmap and I will have a look at for you, send to sales@cadart.com and I will see what I can do for you.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1688272)   #14
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ask the MSA direct like I did and you will get a confused answer, in fact it transpires as I understand it, that that those expensive suits you see F1 teams and the like wearing are in fact embroidered on the outer skin before the suit is finally assembled and thats expensive I bet. I do believe that you cannot punture the suit entirely even with fire resistant thread and I can assure there is no other way of embroidering and assembled garment without doing this.
If you buy a new suit (even a cheap one), the better manufacturers will charge NO extra money for embroidery to be put on the outer layer alone. The only "negative" thing they have is that they can't take a suit of the shelf and need to make a new one from scratch.
If you have a very big embroidery patch, they will put some extra nomex on the inside of that first layer.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1688376)   #15
nihil
Racer

Quote:
Email the vector file (eps, coreldraw, windows metafile etc) with fonts turned to outlines/curves, NOT a bitmap and I will have a look at for you, send to sales@cadart.com and I will see what I can do for you.
Fair 'nuff! Thanks. Soon as I get the artwork, I'll pm and let you know what's coming. Thanks again!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 07:21 (Ref:1688502)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No charge Eddy are you serious? A large embroidery patch could represent several hours work and I cannot see them swallowing that.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:32 (Ref:1688530)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

Steady on Eddy, you'll put poor benighted racewear retailers out of business. It's a way of making up for the woeful prices on racewear at the moment as you well know.

When did Nick last embroider you anything FOC? Let me know your secret please! :-)
Old 22 Aug 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1688588)   #18
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hold on a second guys, I meant no extra charge to put it on the outer layer.
Obviously you pay for the embroidery, nobody can do that foc.

(Goes away quickly now in the hope to sell another suit.)
Old 22 Aug 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1688890)   #19
midgetman
Veteran

Ah re-read your post now Eddy - I think you meant no extra charge to attach a badge that the customer supplies when they make the suit.

Yes, if they can be satisfied that it'll pass FIA muster I'm sure.
Old 1 Aug 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3440786)   #20
Barbara82
Rookie

Barbara82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are You still buy embroidered patches on ebay? Is this a safety way to buy patches?
Old 27 Aug 2014, 15:20 (Ref:3448187)   #21
Barbara82
Rookie

Barbara82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the place when i will buy: http://quality.e-patches.ca
I'm affraid about quality of embroidered patches on ebay so...
I will let You know when i got the patches (about 14 days)