Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 31 Jul 2003, 19:53 (Ref:676608)   #1
B/Mark
Racer

B/Mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport.com

There is a good Q&A with Mark Taylor up on WWW.autosport.com where he talks about his year in IPS to date and his plans for next year.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 21:57 (Ref:676693)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks, I'll check it out
Old 1 Aug 2003, 07:38 (Ref:676875)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
won 5 out of 7 races - however, young aj foyt won ips last year easily and is struggling in irl, is taylor better than foyt
Old 1 Aug 2003, 10:16 (Ref:677001)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened at Indy100 last moth of may shows that in IPS something "strange" may happen to favourish drivers that help the image of the series.
Last year AJ Foyt dominated, this year at Indy was dominated by a TG relative, who apparently had a different engine.
I'm not here to presume that last year AJ Foyt was advantaged, but I'm more confident that this year Mark has obtained all by means of his qualities.
So it can be different for him in IRL 2004
Old 1 Aug 2003, 19:22 (Ref:677425)   #5
B/Mark
Racer

The IPS is much more competetive this year than last with very close racing. Last year Foyt's competition was Luyendyk
and Carpenter. This year Carpenter is down to fourth in the championship winning team from last year and Luyendyk is nowhere! Taylor has raced well, consistently and quickly breaking all the records set by Foyt last year in the same number of races. The talk of bent engines is absolute rubbish, it's just press/internet gossip to make a story out of nothing. Taylor said after the race that he had a wrong gear in and that's why Carpenter got away.
In recent races cars have run side by side, lap after lap. If there was something fishy going on it would show very clearly in this type of racing. After each race the Tec officials strip the winning car. Gearbox, dampers, electronics, seals on engine and fuel are all checked. This is the most thorough post race checking I've seen and is way above F3 or FF. Don't assume that because it's in America that it is disorganised or bent, these guys are VERY professional and could give lessons to the UK in how to run race meetings and championships.
Regarding Foyt struggling in IRL that is of course true, but he is still young and inexperienced and is given a poorly prepared car to drive each race with little testing miles due to lack of funding.
If Taylor gets into the IRL next year you will get a clearer picture of the IPS as a training ground. Carpenter will also be moving up next year so IPS is doing its job.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 21:44 (Ref:681625)   #6
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That whole deal is hard to understand. Carpenter has much more experience that all of them, I think. He's run midgets, sprint cars and Silver Crown cars. I don't believe that any of them have as broad a background. Curious...
Old 8 Aug 2003, 10:31 (Ref:682691)   #7
B/Mark
Racer

None of that experience helps much with a rear engined car.
He has been on a learning curve.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 10:38 (Ref:682693)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark has done us all proud. Here's hoping he gets the ride he deserves in the IRL next year!
By the way B/Mark, which race win do you think is his most impressive so far. I gather you may have seen most of them?
Old 8 Aug 2003, 13:40 (Ref:682885)   #9
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by B/Mark
None of that experience helps much with a rear engined car.
He has been on a learning curve.
True the handling feel doesn't translate, but other aspects are useful. Sprint cars and Silver Crown cars have a lot more power than the IPS cars. Also, you get a lot of experience in driving in traffic. It's a great teacher for dealing with lapped cars, developing the balance between patience and agression. Some of the Silver Crown races can last in the 45 minute range. You have to learn pace, tire conservation and developing concentration for longer periods.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 20:33 (Ref:683250)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I havent actually seen it, (only a clip) but I'd say Mark Taylor's most impressive win this year was when he had to start from last, thanks to a technial infringement on his car, but he fought though the field and grabbed the win on the last corner on the last lap.

Hopefully Sky Sports will show a few races this year, they did show rounds one and two on one program...would be great to see Mark race. I dont think a British driver has done so well in a US series since the days of Mansell
Old 8 Aug 2003, 21:52 (Ref:683307)   #11
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Blundell did pretty ok in CART. And technically Dario is British.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 22:44 (Ref:683333)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Very true, but neither really dominated they way Mark has. 7 wins out of 9 races!
Old 9 Aug 2003, 08:31 (Ref:683505)   #13
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not even Nige dominated the way Mark has. He has done an outstanding job, but he hasn't got much for competition. I wonder if he'll be in Indycars next year.

Last edited by evo; 9 Aug 2003 at 08:32.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 16:51 (Ref:684321)   #14
B/Mark
Racer

Nice stat Downforce but it's 5 from 7, now 8 after Gateway.
Should have been 6 from 8, that would have been amazing!
Old 11 Aug 2003, 22:17 (Ref:685634)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's dominating the IPS as Greg did with the Indy Lights in 1995. Thing is, Greg had 10 wins, a 2nd and a 6th, and Mark now has a DNF, so he won't be able to totally dominate. Apart from the fact that 1995 Lights and 2003 Pro Series are pretty different...
Old 11 Aug 2003, 22:31 (Ref:685649)   #16
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
woops :S Still, 5 from 8 is still very impressive.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 07:54 (Ref:685850)   #17
B/Mark
Racer

Sorry Jordi - Greg who?
Old 12 Aug 2003, 11:16 (Ref:686054)   #18
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Greg Moore?
Old 12 Aug 2003, 14:29 (Ref:686253)   #19
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but comparing the Indy Lites with the IPS pro series is like comparing Formula 3000 to Formula Ford. I'm sure Mark Taylor is a good driver, but half the IPS field is made up of old rich guys just out for some fun... very comparable to Formula Ford actually, but with much higher speeds, fewer cars and on ovals. And just look how well last year's champion is doing in the IRL....a league where Tora Takagi is a front runner.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Aug 2003, 19:23 (Ref:686542)   #20
B/Mark
Racer

Yes that may be true but the front runners do have good teams and are capable drivers. BUT Taylor is dominating big style. Panther are a very good team, no question, but Taylor is doing the business. If Foyt was in the IPS this year then he would find life as difficult as he is in the IRL.
It doesn't matter what the backmarkers are like in any championship, its the guys you race wheel to wheel with each week that really count.
Takagi is not, despite his considerable experience in the top 6 in the championship. Front runner?
Old 12 Aug 2003, 19:38 (Ref:686553)   #21
B/Mark
Racer

Greg Moore's record stands on its own.