Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 12 Apr 2000, 12:15 (Ref:6692)   #1
Rache
Racer

Rache should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is MCN's problem????? For the second week running they have totally snubbed the Superbike support classes coverage, ESPECIALLY the 125 races. Last week the Brands coverage was dedicated solely to Leon Haslam, who didn't even RACE, and this week there is no write-up at all! WHY? ARE THEY DELIBERATLY TRYING TO DEPOPULARISE THESE CLASSES?

How will the winners of these races feel when they see that no-one has bothered to report on them? The less people know about these classes the less they will be interested, and MCN is doing NOTHING to help. Talk about BIASED.

I can imagine sponsors getting p*ssed off with this lack of coverage, they expect to see exposure in such a high profile motorcycle magazine, yet they will only get it if they sponsor a Superbike, it is just NOT ON.

The only thing that will change MCN's attitude towards these other classes is public pressure. PLEASE send an e-mail to them, no matter how short, asking where the coverage is. They should not be allowed to get away with such blatant bias.

Leon is racing at Thruxton ini the next round so no doubt there will be panting coverage on every breath he takes, once again ignoring every other rider in the 35+ field.......
Old 12 Apr 2000, 23:19 (Ref:6693)   #2
allan quirk
Rookie

allan quirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I keep telling myself I'm going to stop buying the rag, but each week I go and search it out! By the way, we don't get our copy in the Isle of Man until late Thursday afternoon. But during the TT fortnight it suddenly becomes available on Tuesdays! Maybe I'm getting too old for the type pf coverage. With the problems over broadcasting the British Superbiles from Brands, you would think they would have compensated with even better coverage, but no!
Old 13 Apr 2000, 21:18 (Ref:6694)   #3
Rache
Racer

Wow, finally I've found a sympathizer! Do you get BikeSport News in the IOM? MILES better coverage and lots of rider photos too, which is good for their sponsors.

Stop buying it, resist!!!!
Old 16 Apr 2000, 23:10 (Ref:6695)   #4
allan quirk
Rookie

No, we don't get BikeSport News in the IoM. I subscribe to two monthly mags that I enjoy most - Motorcycle Sport and Leisure and Trail Bike Magazine. I used to do motorcross and now enjoy trail riding. I find it coms naturally to me and there are some great (if short) trails in the Island. However, that's another story. I don't know who the MCN is aimed at, but it's obviously not me.
Old 16 Apr 2000, 23:47 (Ref:6696)   #5
Ross
Rookie

Ross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Living in the IOM you will obviously know about Richard Qualye (Milky) Top bloke.

I decided MCN was cak when I was 12 back in '92

Why can't there be a bike version of autosport?
Old 17 Apr 2000, 15:44 (Ref:6697)   #6
Rache
Racer

A racing friend of mine wrote to MCN last week to express their disgust in the lack of coverage, and here are some quotes from the Editor's reply: (My comments are in brackets)

"we have spent an absolute fortune over the last four years getting British bike racing on to terrestrial TV - BBC Grandstand - and continue to do so this year by paying another substantial sum to get GP racing on terrestrial TV for the first time ever in Britain"

(This quote is wrong for a start, GPs used to be on ITVs World Of Sport some years ago. And the British 125s, 250s AND Superbikes used to be on Grandstand some 10 years ago, the FULL RACES of each class, not just highlights.)

"ultimately my goal is to get more people reading about bike racing, not to keep the people that we write about "sweet"."

(If he wants to get more people reading about bike racing then why is he still giving biased coverage to Superbikes only?)

"for me the real way to boost the sport is to get more people from outside racing interested in it by giving them the most interesting stories about the biggest names that they care most about"

(In my opinion it is MCN that creates these "big names" by constantly writing about the same old people - crowds will be drawn towards familiar names, and extensive press coverage makes them familiar....)

"we don't aim to give acres of space to a specific rider in a specific series"

(YEAH RIGHT so why do they constantly kiss Chris Walker/Leon Haslam's a**ses then???)

You would think that the Editor of MCN would know the true facts about Terrestrial TV coverage....I await the issue following the Thruxton round to see what coverage the 125/250 classes get
Old 20 Apr 2000, 08:08 (Ref:6698)   #7
Rache
Racer

BTW Bikesport IS on sale in the Isle of Man. It is distributed through G. E. Whites and has been their since June 1999.

[This message has been edited by Rache (edited 20 April 2000).]
Old 21 Apr 2000, 10:10 (Ref:6699)   #8
allan quirk
Rookie

Yes, I have heard of Milky Quayle, but I've never spoken to him. He's a bloody good rider. As my mother's maiden name is Quayle, we are probably related - but aren't all Manxmen! I'm getting very confused about BikeSport News and BTW Bikesport. I will have to scour the newsagents shelves to see what I'm missing.