Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Jun 2012, 23:48 (Ref:3091171)   #51
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
One would hope the series organiser had required some form of upfront commitment to guarantee a decent field before scheduling such a race distance.

Only Nine entries

What is wrong with Commodore Cup? This is supposed to be the Premier race for the year for them (Ashley Cooper Memorial).

45 minutes is a very long time to watch just nine cars drive around a three kilometre track , each day...
Old 16 Jun 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3092280)   #52
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a real shame, as with a 15-20 car grid, Commodore Cup puts on some fantastic racing, especially over the longer distance at Winton. I will be there, most likely with massive jetlag, but will be there
Old 16 Jun 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3092705)   #53
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There doesn't seem to have been anyone to replace those who have departed to other categories or left for what ever reasons.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 05:38 (Ref:3094563)   #54
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Dasher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
Only Nine entries

What is wrong with Commodore Cup? This is supposed to be the Premier race for the year for them (Ashley Cooper Memorial).

45 minutes is a very long time to watch just nine cars drive around a three kilometre track , each day...
Agreed RR & you might find only 5 front.

In my opinion, I dont think they should run the 2 x 45 min races with only 5 cars,not worth it and very very boring.

To answer your question about what is wrong with Commodore Cup is that they didnt listen to the competitors wishes or wants when the Commodore Cup Group took over the management, it was ok for a while but then they just went and did what they wanted without any consideration or consultation for the competitors or owners.

People just walked away due to higher entry fees and expenses due to the fact that a class sponsor couldnt be found to offset entry costs and only just covered cost by small individual round sponsorships.

A particular person put in plenty of his own money to keep the class alive and hats off to him but at the end of the day it was too late to really save it and hence the situation now.

Shannon's were supposed to take over the admin and promotion to build it up again before this meeting but judging by the entries nothing much has been achieved in this area.

It is known that there are 30+ cars in existence but they wont bring them out of the shed, there are at least 6-8 cars that could support this meeting but owners either dont have the money,the time,the commitment or a combination of the lot.

It will be a shame to see this great classes demise but the writing seems to be on the wall unfortunately.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 03:47 (Ref:3096213)   #55
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
Agreed RR & you might find only 5 front

In my opinion, I dont think they should run the 2 x 45 min races with only 5 cars,not worth it and very very boring.

To answer your question about what is wrong with Commodore Cup is that they didnt listen to the competitors wishes or wants when the Commodore Cup Group took over the management, it was ok for a while but then they just went and did what they wanted without any consideration or consultation for the competitors or owners.

It will be a shame to see this great classes demise but the writing seems to be on the wall unfortunately.
Only five out in the first session

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?24/06/2012.WIN.P1

And four in the second...

Dasher, sadly you seem to have been very much on the mark, is this the beginning of the end ?
I fear that the Ashley Cooper Memorial will be held this weekend for the last time.

Such a shame, because I remember watching the first four or five cars ever built, run around a very dark Sandown, last thing on a race weekend in maybe late 93 ? having a "demonstration" run. (more like a drift/slide/put-on-a-show-for-the-crowd race)

Last edited by Rachel Richards; 22 Jun 2012 at 03:52.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 03:51 (Ref:3096214)   #56
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More Swifts racing than Commodores..... what is the world coming to?
Old 24 Jun 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3097080)   #57
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
- It was just another day at the race track. Then the V8 Touring cars turn up and the poo hits the fan! Feel sorry for the ex-Skaife car, the old joke "Had more hits than Elvis!"

- While I'm unlikely to ever part cash for a Cochrane managed show/concert. Seeing the V8 Touring cars exit the sweeper and go through roll-over, on the first lap or after a restart, was actually a thrill. I was intending to take photos, couldn't keep my eyes off of it! It may get me over the line!

- If you totalled up all the people who have competed in the Swift series since it started ('10?), would there still be less competitors than Crichton's Swift series that only ran in '95?

- Interestingly, despite the puny field, the Commodores put on the most interesting race, I thought. Note: That does not, DOES NOT, justify putting the race on. 5 cars? Pathetic! Richard Craill didn't mention that when he was talking the series up, on SEN this morning.

- Fair play to the new guy who won the Saloons outright and Tabinor, who put in a good comeback after being punted off in the morning.

- GT's are not bad, they're better than I thought. What happened to KQuinn at the end?

Last edited by formerf1champ; 24 Jun 2012 at 11:31.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 11:28 (Ref:3097091)   #58
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quinn got a left rear puncture at the end of the race under the yellow....dropped a decent burnout coming out of the pits to show his disgust

I was there paid my admission and woke the guy up on the gate....there was virtually nobody there which is a shame. But middle of Winton it is always cold, lack of promotion was poor too.

Great double win for Hackett in the SLS
Old 24 Jun 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3097102)   #59
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought Mr Lago's Lamborghini was going to run away and hide in today's race... Was doing brilliantly to lead the field til the pitstop, when a couple of second lead somehow turned into a 5+ second gap behind the Mercedes...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Jun 2012, 21:20 (Ref:3097424)   #60
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone would need to explain how that was possible GTR?

Timed convoluted pitstops and somehow Hackett jumps 5 secs in front?

Great drive by Roger, will be hard to beat at QR
Old 24 Jun 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3097429)   #61
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
-
- Interestingly, despite the puny field, the Commodores put on the most interesting race, I thought. Note: That does not, DOES NOT, justify putting the race on. 5 cars? Pathetic! Richard Craill didn't mention that when he was talking the series up, on SEN this morning.
Why would I?

Big field or small, Commodore Cup pay their money to race like everyone else, so I'm not sure why I should neglect telling some of the stories involved just because they have a small grid.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 23:08 (Ref:3097496)   #62
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
Quote:
- It was just another day at the race track. Then the V8 Touring cars turn up and the poo hits the fan! Feel sorry for the ex-Skaife car, the old joke "Had more hits than Elvis!"

- While I'm unlikely to ever part cash for a Cochrane managed show/concert. Seeing the V8 Touring cars exit the sweeper and go through roll-over, on the first lap or after a restart, was actually a thrill. I was intending to take photos, couldn't keep my eyes off of it! It may get me over the line!
A great observation, we remarked over dinner on Saturday night, if you took someone who had never seen V8SC, to watch the recycled class race, they would enjoy it just as much !

All the sight sound & colour ( and crashes...) Rob K said yesterday that there are 35 ECM's been issued for V8 Tourning Cars, and it will be great to see a field of close to 30 of them.

Quote:
- - If you totalled up all the people who have competed in the Swift series since it started ('10?), would there still be less competitors than Crichton's Swift series that only ran in '95?
Sadly true, I can remember watching a snake of 36 cars all two wide through the cleavage at Winton, and also "bump-drafting" on the front straight at Sandown . (not to mention the crash on Conrod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Craill View Post
Why would I?

Big field or small, Commodore Cup pay their money to race like everyone else, so I'm not sure why I should neglect telling some of the stories involved just because they have a small grid.
Richard, if it is all about promotion ( which we know it is) of course you don't ever make a disparaging remark in public about a competitor, or an event, or even a small entry.

Please don't feel you have to defend what is only ever commonsense promotion.

The perilous state of Comm Cup is widely known in racing circles, and if it folds, it will of course be a pity, but that is part of the cycle of Motorsport evolution.

Such a shame that more people didn’t see yesterday great racing.
(clearly the ‘Greatest Show on Earth’ advertising works) Despite the GT cars being two seconds a lap faster than the Taxis around Winton…
Old 24 Jun 2012, 23:23 (Ref:3097506)   #63
alfacors
Veteran

Not sure what happened with Roger's pitstop, but he had a huge smile on his face at the end of the day and was clearly chuffed with nailing down a couple of 2nd places for the weekend. Just wish I could have nailed more flame out of the back of the Lambo on the run down into T1....
Old 25 Jun 2012, 01:45 (Ref:3097536)   #64
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I thought Mr Lago's Lamborghini was going to run away and hide in today's race... Was doing brilliantly to lead the field til the pitstop, when a couple of second lead somehow turned into a 5+ second gap behind the Mercedes...
Stuck behind slower cars coming out of the pits, from memory it was Equity One Lambo. Also Hackett was right at the pit exit and gunned it out of the pits coming out just ahead of the Lambo

The GT racing was great, but the Commodores to get half an hour for 5 or 6 cars for a Nationals event is just crap.

Had a chat to Quinn for a good half hour....really nice guy and happy to chat and talk aobut where he wants to go with it all. But racing @ Winton in the cold periods is just not on but what can he do if he joims a National series.

GT need to be running close to the city eg Sandown and get car clubs involved...some people are not willng to drive 2 hours to get to Winton from Melbourne

Last edited by GROUPA; 25 Jun 2012 at 01:50.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 02:08 (Ref:3097540)   #65
alfacors
Veteran

If Australian GT becomes a core category of the Nationals, they will get more say in what rounds they run. As it is, there's a lot of categories which needs to be accommodated into the calendar across the year. And given the way the calendar is laid out, not everyone will be able to cherrypick the rounds they want to compete at, so there's always compromise. Australian GT ran a standalone event at Phillip Island in July previously, it wasn't much warmer than what we had at Winton on ther weekend.... and with far less spectators.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 01:22 (Ref:3098150)   #66
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
LOL! I forgot Richard posts here. I wrote that post as if I was the only guy who heard that interview! I didn't think I would be called out on it!

Quote:
Why would I?
Well, without putting a massive blowtorch right under your backside. Consider, that whenever your're on radio, your credibility is on the line. I would consider that important, if you're going to be the shannons rep/token guy/motorsport expert. What I mean is, with someone who's 50/50 about going or needs to be encouraged to go, you can't leave yourself open to be heard/known to talk ****.

Consider, that you actually swayed someone to come up from Melbourne. They're thinking "**** it, there's two **** games of footy, no V8 Supercars on tv, it's only two hours up the hume...I think I will go!" Then, they rock up to the track and they see a 5 car field! "I would've sworn I heard that guy on radio this morning talk these guys up. Are you kidding me???" On top of that, there's the eight car swift field "These blokes are just not fair dinkum". Then, the next time he hears you on radio promoting an event, you think he'll take you seriously? No chance at all.

If you think it doesn't matter or that doesn't happen, then you're wrong. Consider also, on that same show, Tim Hodges said something like "Sebastian Vettel is the best qualifier ever...best one lap screamer ever...Even better than Ayrton Senna" What??? Now, I don't listen to that show for it's quality of content, I listen because it's a motorsport show, it almost doesn't matter what they say. But, you tell me though, how I'm not supposed to think Timmy is a clueless moron?

Just by chance, when leaving Winton, I had the footy on the radio. Without prior knowledge, Timmy does the boundary riding. Once I cotton on to that fact it was him, do you think I was listening to what he was saying, or was I thinking what a total clown he is? You tell me?

I just want to be clear, I'm just responding to a post on a forum. You can take it as seriously or be as dismissive about it as you like. I'm just saying...

Quote:
Fair enough if you're obliged to say something because they do pay money. But if you hadn''t picked up already, people may feel duped seeing a 5 car field. "Mustn't be that important, there's only 5 cars". The story is long forgotten, the memory of a 5 car field remains.

Also, not giving you any **** about it, I'm only saying because I had a chuckle hearing it. But, you made a reference to the weather being not so good, but it's probably the same in Melbourne? That was funny, it was a cracking morning in Melbourne, best for months!
Old 26 Jun 2012, 02:05 (Ref:3098165)   #67
alfacors
Veteran

One category doesn't make a race meeting. You seem to have forgotten about the other categories racing. I highly doubt ANYONE would haul their butts up the road 2 hours simply on the basis of seeing some Commodore Cup races. If you do, then you are probably so starved for V8 action you think Tony Cochrane is God and V8Supercars are the holy grail of World Motorsport
Old 26 Jun 2012, 03:02 (Ref:3098173)   #68
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
One category doesn't make a race meeting. You seem to have forgotten about the other categories racing.
No, I did not forget about the other catergories.

Quote:
I highly doubt ANYONE would haul their butts up the road 2 hours simply on the basis of seeing some Commodore Cup races.
I wouldn't expect anyone to go 2 hours up the road to only see CC as well. But, Richard isn't talking to a guy like me, who would go anyway and can find their own point/s of interest in the meeting. He's talking to guys who aren't committed to going, but can go. It's his name at stake, not mine. I would also say, this part of your post reflects a complacent attitude.

Quote:
If you do, then you are probably so starved for V8 action you think Tony Cochrane is God and V8Supercars are the holy grail of World Motorsport
You have not been reading my other posts on this board, then. The most accurate reflection, to me, that you've misinterpreted my post. Also, just to be clear...

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....0&postcount=11

Last edited by formerf1champ; 26 Jun 2012 at 03:09.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 03:46 (Ref:3098180)   #69
alfacors
Veteran

Clearly you've missed the yellow smilie at the end of my statement.....
Old 27 Jun 2012, 05:43 (Ref:3098791)   #70
alfacors
Veteran

Congrats to the winners on the weekend

Australian GT - Peter Hackett
Saloon Cars - Josh Kean
V8 Touring Cars - Josh Hunter
Porsche GT3 Cup - Kane Rose
Swift Racing Series - Damian Ward
Commodore Cup - Adam Beechey and Dean Crosswell

next stop - Sydney Motorsport Park and Round 5 of the Nationals
Old 27 Jun 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3098849)   #71
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Clearly you've missed the yellow smilie at the end of my statement.....
The wink can be interpreted many ways. Nevermind, I saw this one, :rollseyes:
Old 27 Jun 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3098903)   #72
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is an interesting line through Turn 1, especially from where I was parked on the infield at the time.

Old 28 Jun 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3099660)   #73
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
alfacors has been a bit slack in not posting this yet so here are the photo's from the weekend at Winton.

http://shannonsnationals.speedshots..../2012/2012_r4/
Old 12 Jul 2012, 23:02 (Ref:3105826)   #74
alfacors
Veteran

Sydney Motorsport Park hosts Round 5 this weekend. Bit cloudy today for Practice this morning.

Saturday - Free entry
Sunday - $20

Featuring
- Formula 3 Australian Drivers Championship
- Australian GT Championship
- Porsche Staff Solutions International GT3 Cup Challenge
- Radical Australia Cup
- Kerrick Sports Sedan Series
- Austraian Swift Racing Series
Old 13 Jul 2012, 10:54 (Ref:3105978)   #75
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not a bad deal at all - especially Saturday with 5 races including a 1hr GT race!