Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Apr 2018, 03:45 (Ref:3814574)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
2018 Bubba Burger Sports Car Grand Prix of Long Beach(IMSA @ Long Beach) - Apr 13-14

BUBBA BURGER BUBBA BURGER BUBBA BURGER

This race has the best name of any sports car race in the world.

We've got 1hr40mi around the concrete canyon known as Long Beach. 22 cars will take the green flag, with 14 in the Prototype class, and 8 in GTLM. The #90 Spirit of Daytona Cadillac will not make the trip to Long Beach after their race ending crash at Sebring left the car too damaged to be repaired correctly in time.

The brothers Taylor have won every race here since 2015, so only one of them can repeat as a 4 time straight winner.

IMSA is running support to the Verizon IndyCar Series this weekend, so there are no other IMSA sanctioned supports running.

Bubba Burger Sports Car Grand Prix of Long Beach TV Schedule(all times US Eastern)
4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m., FOX(this is the network television race of the season!)

Race will be streamed in full on the IMSA website for those it applies to.

Essentials:

IMSA Radio

IMSA WSC/CTSCC Spotter Guide

Entry List for WSC(22 cars)

Event Schedule(at bottom of page)

Long Beach, CA Weekend Weather

Event History

Track Layout

Track Graphics c/o RacingCircuits.info

Last Years Race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi5PeRQU3sU
Old 10 Apr 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3814651)   #2
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
It will be a cleaner race than last year. GTD not being there is probably going to be a good thing. Granted seeing the BMW M6 lead overall was neat. That won't be possible this year due to the new restart procedure though. Prototypes will start up front every time now regardless.

I don't think it will be full course yellow free though. I think some prototype driver is going to slam the car in the wall like the #31 Cadillac did last year as both the GTLM and prototype races will be very intense. Lets hope for no lap 1 calamity. If you avoid that then it can sort out and be clean after that.

No prediction for a winner. Long Beach is anybody's game. Must say I hope both races can be won by somebody that did not win Daytona/Sebring.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 13:58 (Ref:3814664)   #3
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I don't think it will be full course yellow free though. I think some prototype driver is going to slam the car in the wall like the #31 Cadillac did last year as both the GTLM and prototype races will be very intense. Lets hope for no lap 1 calamity. If you avoid that then it can sort out and be clean after that.

No prediction for a winner. Long Beach is anybody's game. Must say I hope both races can be won by somebody that did not win Daytona/Sebring.
I think somebody is going to go for a gap that closes to quickly and we will get a yellow (or two). A new winner would be good for the championship battles.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 02:18 (Ref:3814949)   #4
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I know long beach has always been an open wheel series' race, and has a strong tradition with IndyCar, but I am disappointed that imsa doesn't race after IndyCar on Sunday, and don't like that they are slotted in in the "support race" times. Imsa shouldn't play second fiddle to a local series like IndyCar.

Old 12 Apr 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3815027)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Although i like this series and this circuit / race weekend, I still don't like this series on this weekend at this track. Just feels like a Trans Am or World Challenge type of race but those guys are there too! So are the Stadium Super Trucks! Should be a great show all round and maybe I should just go next year...
Old 12 Apr 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3815029)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You'll never bite a better burger than a Bubba.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3815030)   #7
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I know long beach has always been an open wheel series' race, and has a strong tradition with IndyCar, but I am disappointed that imsa doesn't race after IndyCar on Sunday, and don't like that they are slotted in in the "support race" times. Imsa shouldn't play second fiddle to a local series like IndyCar.

You seem to have a totally personal and highly personally problematical hierarchy of when cars can race.

Also, how is IndyCar more "local" than IMSA? Both are national series ... both race at the same tracks (rather needless to say, i hope.)

Feel free to not watch, or watch and not enjoy ...

I have to wonder, if in some completely imaginary universe, in some fictional time and space, people watch events when they happen and are glad they are happening .... seems too far-fetched, doesn't it?
Old 12 Apr 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3815031)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
You'll never bite a better frozen burger than a Bubba.
Fixed it for you.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3815034)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
You seem to have a totally personal and highly personally problematical hierarchy of when cars can race.

Also, how is IndyCar more "local" than IMSA? Both are national series ... both race at the same tracks (rather needless to say, i hope.)

I have to wonder, if in some completely imaginary universe, in some fictional time and space, people watch events when they happen and are glad they are happening .... seems too far-fetched, doesn't it?
I believe RWill2073's post was tongue and cheek based on others' past posts regarding WEC/Sebring, unless I'm mistaken...

That said, it's an IndyCar weekend, make no mistake about it, but I still watch the IMSA race and I don't feel like it's an undercard at all, because I'm "watching racing", as you say.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3815037)   #10
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I believe RWill2073's post was tongue and cheek based on others' past posts regarding WEC/Sebring, unless I'm mistaken...

That said, it's an IndyCar weekend, make no mistake about it, but I still watch the IMSA race and I don't feel like it's an undercard at all, because I'm "watching racing", as you say.
I was. Was just joking around. Ill be watching qualifying and race of both imsa and IndyCar, but maybe delayed as I have a busy weekend, but I look forward to both "local" series.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 14:45 (Ref:3815038)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

This race has the best name of any sports car race in the world.
They should work it out somehow to have "The Roscoe's Chicken n Waffles Pole Award" or something...maybe one of the other series will have that sponsor again?
Old 12 Apr 2018, 19:57 (Ref:3815080)   #12
otisdog
Rookie

United States
Camano island, Washington
otisdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I go to this race every year, it being about 25 miles from the house. Definitely not a fan of street races, but loved it when F1 was here. The IMSA race has been moved all over the weekend schedule , and has always been a support race, but the last 3 to 4 years have seen considerable growth in spectator numbers. Now it's not uncommon to see the general admission stands damn near full.
Lots of things to do during the weekend...
Old 12 Apr 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3815082)   #13
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

Old 12 Apr 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3815096)   #14
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Somehow the promo video for this event has 1.6 million views on YouTube- I don't quite understand that!
Old 12 Apr 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3815104)   #15
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
They should work it out somehow to have "The Roscoe's Chicken n Waffles Pole Award" or something...maybe one of the other series will have that sponsor again?
remember when black swan used to get sponsorship from roscoe's for this race every year?

that was the best
Old 12 Apr 2018, 22:48 (Ref:3815112)   #16
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
remember when black swan used to get sponsorship from roscoe's for this race every year?

that was the best
Heck, yeah!
Old 13 Apr 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3815202)   #17
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
First practice starts in just under 2 hours. Looks like the weather won't be a factor in the race again this weekend, shocking for Long Beach, I know.....
Old 13 Apr 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3815239)   #18
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
First practice starts in just under 2 hours. Looks like the weather won't be a factor in the race again this weekend, shocking for Long Beach, I know.....
I'm sure all of the real racing fans know better to go to Long Beach for Friday and Saturday. Leave Sunday to the celebs and casuals. And when they leave the remaining real racing fans who did go see Indycar stick around for the PWC race. Granted PWC grid does not look good at all.

I hope the casual fans who do see the IMSA race will get some excitement from the GTLM race especially. First time the Porsche 911 RSR is at Long Beach with the screaming engine noise it has now. Last year's appearance was pre-new exhaust system.

As far as opening practice goes. It looks like advantage Porsche.
Old 13 Apr 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3815244)   #19
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Action Express on top in the first practice:

http://results.imsa.com/

GT results were pretty funny, they were in pairs by the manufacturers
Old 13 Apr 2018, 19:35 (Ref:3815260)   #20
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I think he's taking a swing at what I said about the wec running at Sebring on Friday when usually it's the Continental Sports Cars' day. Kinda sly but not quite the same
Old 13 Apr 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3815266)   #21
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
What time is quali on the right coast of the US?
Old 13 Apr 2018, 22:18 (Ref:3815284)   #22
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
What time is quali on the right coast of the US?
8:30 p.m. Eastern is claimed.
Old 13 Apr 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3815298)   #23
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
That's what imsa.com says, but official schedule says 7:45 pm ET, which is in 15 mins.

https://gplb.com/weekend-schedule/
Old 13 Apr 2018, 23:33 (Ref:3815302)   #24
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Stream is on already, except on imsa.com. :facepalm:

http://www.radiolemans.co/imsa-live-video-stream/

https://multimedia.netstorage.imsa.c...ans/index.html
Old 13 Apr 2018, 23:37 (Ref:3815303)   #25
nasdriv87
Veteran

Brazil
Brazil
nasdriv87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now we have images from there

https://www.fanschoice.tv/watch-live/imsa/weathertech