Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Apr 2019, 18:54 (Ref:3896033)   #1
paydirt
Racer

paydirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaughlin 'Haters'

From the point of view of a casual observer, after winning race1 in Tassie, I was surprised to hear Scott McLaughlin remark over the team radio.. "That will silence the Haters!"...Then, in his Flu affected victory speech, he made another remark regarding the "Haters". I always assumed Scotty was reasonably popular, both with drivers & fans alike, so my question is, who are the "Haters"? ...and what are they Hating ?
Old 7 Apr 2019, 20:35 (Ref:3896054)   #2
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is more a Holden versus Ford thing, I don't think there would be too many McLaughin haters out there, but I guess there could be a few. But more likely Holden versus Ford
Old 7 Apr 2019, 20:54 (Ref:3896059)   #3
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I was told that it's a reference to negative people on social media and the abuse / troll behaviour that goes on there.

Not 100% sure but I think that he referenced them after one of the AGP races as well didn't he?
Old 7 Apr 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3896063)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe he should drive for Redbull then?

As for haters, it's all a load of immature BS. People read way too far into things, and warp reality into something completely different, to suit whatever agenda they're trying to push.

Some call it passion for the sport, while experts call it cyber bullying and a mental health disorder.
Old 7 Apr 2019, 23:50 (Ref:3896098)   #5
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Unfortunately social media has given a voice to the w@nkers who hide behind anonymous screen names

With one forum I frequent there was a bloke from W.A. who was a full on troll (created heaps of multiple logins to troll people) so the forum owner banned him a number of times, the W.A. bloke cried and sooked to be allowed back, so the owner let him BUT only if he posted under his real name, which he now does, posts very different these days of course, the owner monitors his IP to ensure no multiple logins. You have 5 minutes to edit your post after that the owner reckons 'you post it, you own it" so will not edit, modify or delete posts. I am talking about an un-moderated motorsport forum BTW
Old 7 Apr 2019, 23:57 (Ref:3896099)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed that social media has given far too many a soap box from which to air their nonsense.

Back in the day, they'd just shout at the TV and be done with it.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 06:05 (Ref:3896130)   #7
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think any "haters" are just part of he territory for a modern sportsperson

Best to just forget about them, SM giving them airtime just gives them more ammo
Old 9 Apr 2019, 00:45 (Ref:3896341)   #8
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's called the tall poppy syndrome. The McLaughlin haters were most probably previously Whincup haters and before that Skaife haters, and after McLaughlin's time in the sun fades, will hate the next successful driver. The haters are just jealous keyboard warriors who probably never have and never will achieve much in their miserable lives.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 04:01 (Ref:3896352)   #9
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is the like button for Jack65’s post!

Scotty, just drive the Mustang like you stole it- put it on pole and just win as many races as you can, and enjoy your driving and career!

Just flick the bird, after every victory to the keyboard warriors!
Old 9 Apr 2019, 04:18 (Ref:3896353)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Funnily enough here is an article about sports people generally talking a little bit about this but also team experience generally.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 16:38 (Ref:3896453)   #11
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Haters are suffering from tall poppy syndrome and trolls. They're the same people who bag out any driver who does well alongside the team and manufacturer. They're also bleating about the whole Foxtel/Pay wall thing too.

Personally I've stopped reading Speedcafe and almost want out from Facebook. The comment sections are more toxic than a radioactive dumping ground.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3896471)   #12
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
It doesn't matter if you are a Ford person, a Holden person, a Collingwood person, a Manly person, a Catholic, a bikie, a B&S chic, they are all 'clubs' and every single one of them believe their 'club' is the best and will roundly criticise anyone who doesn't believe in their 'club'. Then there a bigger clubs like 'motorsport', 'AFL', 'soccer', 'religion,' they all recruit to increase flock numbers, they are ALL just 'clubs' and 'club members', the sooner people understand that the better .

We used to belong to (ethnic) 'tribes' now we belong to 'clubs'

Old 9 Apr 2019, 23:28 (Ref:3896497)   #13
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It doesn't matter if you are a Ford person, a Holden person, a Collingwood person, a Manly person, a Catholic, a bikie, a B&S chic, they are all 'clubs' and every single one of them believe their 'club' is the best and will roundly criticise anyone who doesn't believe in their 'club'. Then there a bigger clubs like 'motorsport', 'AFL', 'soccer', 'religion,' they all recruit to increase flock numbers, they are ALL just 'clubs' and 'club members', the sooner people understand that the better .

We used to belong to (ethnic) 'tribes' now we belong to 'clubs'

Same goes for political parties, which probably has a lot to do with creating the abysmal standard of politicians and legislation that we have.

It does seem to be the way of the world (or at least the way of the land of Oz).
Old 10 Apr 2019, 00:04 (Ref:3896503)   #14
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
My apologies, I should have included them, Greens, Left, Right, Palmer, Hanson, etc, etc, etc
Old 10 Apr 2019, 03:12 (Ref:3896512)   #15
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Haters are suffering from tall poppy syndrome and trolls. They're the same people who bag out any driver who does well alongside the team and manufacturer. They're also bleating about the whole Foxtel/Pay wall thing too.

Personally I've stopped reading Speedcafe and almost want out from Facebook. The comment sections are more toxic than a radioactive dumping ground.
It isn't helped by the constant regurgitating of clickbait news items reworded and designed to maintain the rage.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 04:57 (Ref:3896516)   #16
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
meh they all hated J-Dub and SVG

Circle of life. Tall Poppy smack down from keyboard warriers.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 02:55 (Ref:3897557)   #17
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
meh they all hated J-Dub and SVG
I don't see anything like the dislike for either J-Dub (for this aloof personality), or SVG (for this perceived bad behaviour) for Scotty Mac.

I think he's been overly sensitive to any criticism, compared to any 888 driver, the Shell guys seem to be just about worshipped in all the horror show places for 888 or Holden drivers.

I'm a Holden guy but there's nothing to dislike about Scotty, he's unbelievably fast, shows geniune emotion win or lose, and is outwardly very happy to do what we'd all dream of doing.

I'd have him beating the guys I barrack for any day, you can guarantee a fair hard race and a big grin on Scotty's face whether be comes first or second.

I wonder if the "haters" comment is referring to the aesthetics or perceived performance advantage of the Mustang - feels like that makes more sense to me than a personal "hater"
Old 15 Apr 2019, 12:51 (Ref:3897645)   #18
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I don't see anything like the dislike for either J-Dub (for this aloof personality), or SVG (for this perceived bad behaviour) for Scotty Mac.

I think he's been overly sensitive to any criticism, compared to any 888 driver, the Shell guys seem to be just about worshipped in all the horror show places for 888 or Holden drivers.

I'm a Holden guy but there's nothing to dislike about Scotty, he's unbelievably fast, shows geniune emotion win or lose, and is outwardly very happy to do what we'd all dream of doing.

I'd have him beating the guys I barrack for any day, you can guarantee a fair hard race and a big grin on Scotty's face whether be comes first or second.

I wonder if the "haters" comment is referring to the aesthetics or perceived performance advantage of the Mustang - feels like that makes more sense to me than a personal "hater"
👍🏻
Old 15 Apr 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3897760)   #19
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
I don't think it was aimed at him personally but at the Mustang - why can't you people see that?