Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2814639)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
F1 goes HD in 2011!

Much has been rumoured, but its now confirmed.

FOM will send out HD feeds to broadcasters in 2011. BBC will almost certainly have it, amongst others.

For such a technological sport, its about time in my view. I also don't understand Bernies previous comments about "are the TV stations ready"? Any broadcaster can downscale the HD transmission anyway, much in the same way that the BBC "ARC" the 16:9 image for regular terrestrial viewers.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88873
Old 12 Jan 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2814647)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
About time

Won't be watching on HD but the picture for the rest of us will improve anyway, so fine by me
Old 12 Jan 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2814670)   #3
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Better late than never.
But still its good news.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2814682)   #4
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, many years too late. Isn't it time for them to be looking into 3D by now?

I can only echo the previous posters comments - this is a technological sport, I am sure many wealthy fans watch, many other sports have been HD for 5+ years now.

The feed is not going to be 1080p, only 1080i. A day late and a dollar short...

Still, will look real nice.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2814698)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
What's the difference between 1080i and 1080p?

Cheers

Selby
Old 12 Jan 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2814707)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Yeah, many years too late. Isn't it time for them to be looking into 3D by now?

I can only echo the previous posters comments - this is a technological sport, I am sure many wealthy fans watch, many other sports have been HD for 5+ years now.

3 points...

1. The BBC don't have a 3D channels and aren't likely to have in the near future due to them having to be Platform Neutral. DTT can't handle 3D at the moment. How many of the other F1 broadcasters around the world have a 3D channel?

2 it wouldn't matter if the feed was in 1080p, as current HD satellite receivers are at best 1080i. Only Blu-ray season reviews would be able to utilise a 1080p feed.

3. The BBC could still be faced with a major dilemma, if FOM's HD feed uses 16:9 graphics (and really it should IMHO), that BBC Platform neutrality rears it's head again.
For as long as the BBC is broadcasting in analogue, they have to provide a 4:3 or letterboxed 4:3 feed.
That means 4:3 safe graphics most likely only available on the FOM's SD feed, of trying to talk the FOM into producing the HD feed in 14:9 graphics which would fit in letterbox format.

If the FOM say 16:9 then the BBC may not be able to take the HD feed and have to upscale the SD until Digital Switch over is complete and Analogue is switched off.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 12 Jan 2011 at 14:11.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 14:12 (Ref:2814710)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I moved up to HD over Christmas, so I'm happy with that.

To be honest, the most important thing is to have a decent TV. If you have that, you'll be fine, HD or not.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2814720)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
/\ That's pretty much true............ But then after a year or two having a good TV, you get more greedy and want more HD!

Selby
Old 12 Jan 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2814723)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good news, as I have just upgrade from tube to plasma, and will be heading today to get the HD box.

Looking forward to the racing season!
Old 12 Jan 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2814747)   #10
Jon Lincoln
Rookie

Jon Lincoln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yay! BBC will have it. Here's my take on it all http://motorsportviewersandlisteners...irm-hd-for-f1/
Old 12 Jan 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2814757)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Yep, you're right - BBC confirm HD for 2011:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/default.stm

Great news

Also, Jordan confirmed alongside Jake Humphrey presenting.

Can't really knock any of this tbh. Great stuff.

Selby
Old 12 Jan 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2814777)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
1. The BBC don't have a 3D channels and aren't likely to have in the near future due to them having to be Platform Neutral. DTT can't handle 3D at the moment. How many of the other F1 broadcasters around the world have a 3D channel?
i know a few of sports in N.America are advertising that games/matches are being filmed in 3D. the college football championship was, some golf tourneys are, and im sure the Superbowl will be as well.

so i am assuming that if they are filming sports in 3D then there has to be some broadcasters/cable companies here capable of sending that feed to my home...provided i had a 3D tv.

personally i dont care much for the TV experience anymore and am more interested in high quality feeds over the internet. this is an area i have heard the BBC excel at and is sadly underused platform in n.america.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2814801)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
What's the difference between 1080i and 1080p?

Cheers

Selby
i means "interlaced" p means "progressive". p is better, but requires more bandwidth. Basically with an i signal, your display will do the deinterlacing, so depending on the quality of your scaler, the deinterlacing could be good, or bad. You can get external scalers, or simply just rely upon the one in your display (all LCD / Plasma screens have scalers built in).
Old 12 Jan 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2814925)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think that they should do this. I don't have HD and until I do it will remain overrated and for losers.

In fact I don't have a telly, I sold it after the 2008 debacle. It should be on the radio only. In Mono

Last edited by Adam43; 12 Jan 2011 at 20:33.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2814926)   #15
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shall invest in a freeviewHD box for this reason only
Old 12 Jan 2011, 20:33 (Ref:2814932)   #16
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post

Seeing as no broadcaster in the UK broadcasts in 1080i what would the point of a 1080p feed be?
Old 12 Jan 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2814935)   #17
GolddustMini
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
Seeing as no broadcaster in the UK broadcasts in 1080i what would the point of a 1080p feed be?
most HD broadcasting in the UK is 720p anyway I believe
Old 12 Jan 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2814953)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I think you're right.

Why is it that we don't get more 1080?

Selby
Old 12 Jan 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2814956)   #19
GolddustMini
Veteran

Probably to do with available bandwidth, lower quality broadcast allow them to transmit more channels in a given amount of bandwidth meaning we can continue to recieve channels such as JML, QVC, PricedropTV and all the other channels we need.....
Old 13 Jan 2011, 06:24 (Ref:2815092)   #20
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Why is it that we don't get more 1080?
To my knowledge, BBC was one of the first broadcasters in Europe to do HD. At the same time, they are a member of the EBU who originally discussed using 720p as standard since supposedly it gives better picture quality with sports and other fast moving pictures content. Public broadcasters in Germany for this reason also use 720p.

Bandwidth shouldn't be too much of a difference since 720p has 50 full pictures of 720 vertical pixels and 1080i only has 25.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2815171)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
About time too!

Yay!
Old 13 Jan 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2815226)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Seems to have taken them awhile to get to HD broadcasts, but I am really looking forward to it this season!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2815285)   #23
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
To my knowledge, BBC was one of the first broadcasters in Europe to do HD. At the same time, they are a member of the EBU who originally discussed using 720p as standard since supposedly it gives better picture quality with sports and other fast moving pictures content. Public broadcasters in Germany for this reason also use 720p.

Bandwidth shouldn't be too much of a difference since 720p has 50 full pictures of 720 vertical pixels and 1080i only has 25.
Which rises the question of why they choose 1080i over 720p?
Old 13 Jan 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2815379)   #24
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of 1080i, according to Wikipedia:

"1080i is directly compatible with CRT-based HDTV sets and is displayed natively in interlaced form, but must be deinterlaced and often scaled for display on modern progressive-scan LCD and plasma TV sets. Depending on the television's video processor the resulting video quality may vary.

All UK HD channels on satellite, cable and terrestrial platforms including BBC HD and ITV1 HD broadcast in this format."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i

Wikipedia has been known to be innacurate, however.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 06:17 (Ref:2815544)   #25
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Which rises the question of why they choose 1080i over 720p?
Two reasons:

1. Still images and quiet camera moves look better in 1080

2. People want to use the "full" display capability and don't want to be limited to a "lower" standard if they have a 1080i/p capable TV. This is more a marketing/psychological issue than really a technical one.