Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 24 Oct 2003, 02:01 (Ref:1797510)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Dumfries, Johnny (Marquis of Bute)

I was watching a bit of the 1986 F1 season review the other day to fill in some time and as we know Johnny Dumfries drove for the Lotus team that year next to Ayrton Senna.

I have heard that he was some kind of royalty of some kind (an Earl perhaps?).

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Dec 2006 at 11:24. Reason: Driver Files edit.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 04:34 (Ref:1797511)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Johnny is the Earl of Bute. As such he organises a historic event on the Isle of Bute annually. Its getting to be the Scottish equivalent of the Goodwood FoS by all accounts.

A much underrated driver who had good things ahead of him. He gave it up to run the family pile.

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Dec 2006 at 11:24. Reason: Driver Files edit.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 05:40 (Ref:1797512)   #3
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Johnny is the Earl of Bute
As son and heir of the Marquis of Bute, Hon John Crichton-Stuart had the title of Earl of Dumfries, but raced under the name of Johnny Dumfries. When his father died, Johnny became Marquis of Bute

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Dec 2006 at 11:25. Reason: Driver Files edit.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 07:16 (Ref:1797513)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there was some time lapse between him giving up and moving up north, sadly I think his retirement was more to do with not getting a competitive ride in F1. If my memory serves me right James Hunt was always very dismissive of him which I think was a rare lack of judgement on the late great Hunts side.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 08:33 (Ref:1797514)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Johnny Dumfries

Johnny, he is a Le Mans winner to boot!

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Dec 2006 at 11:26. Reason: Driver Files edit.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 10:37 (Ref:1797520)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
there was some time lapse between him giving up and moving up north, sadly I think his retirement was more to do with not getting a competitive ride in F1.
He did have quite a long and successful spell in sportscars with Jaguar (as Adam mentioned, remember the 1988 Le Mans win?) and Toyota between the end of his F1 career and retiring.....
Old 24 Oct 2003, 10:42 (Ref:1797521)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not that long at Jaguar...

And not very successful at Toyota either......

Remember that incident from the 1990 (?) Le Mans when he shunted the Toyota at the Ford Chicane and then when he finally got the car going he drove off with a camera attached to his car.....
Old 24 Oct 2003, 12:49 (Ref:1797524)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
you are absolutely right about sportscar racing including the excellant victory in a Jaguar (might not have been for long but got a good result!) I was just referring to F1
Old 30 Oct 2003, 07:50 (Ref:1797545)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny Dumfries was good, he cleaned up in British F3 in 84 and was totally dominant - he then was supposed to become Ferrari F1 tester after just missing out on a Brabham F1 ride for 85. He also would have been Euro F3 Champion if Ivan Capelli's Coloni Ralt wasn't running bent.

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Dec 2006 at 11:28. Reason: Driver Files edit.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 08:13 (Ref:1797546)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I well remember watching Johnny in Brit F3 in 84 and, of course, his greatest triumph in 88.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 13:53 (Ref:1797547)   #11
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must admit I always thought Dumfries was a bit overrated. OK he dominated in F3 in 84, but opposition was pretty weak, compared to later years, and earlier ones come to that. Also remember he was being run by Dave Price, who I've heard had rather 'special' VW engines. Johnny didn't do too well in F3000 the next year, neither with JPS in 86. In sportscars, well he won Le Mans, but had Lammers and Wallace to assist, then didn't do a lot with Toyota in 89.

Sorry Johnny-fans !
Old 30 Oct 2003, 14:05 (Ref:1797548)   #12
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Rear
Johnny didn't do too well in F3000 the next year, neither with JPS in 86.
I don't think he was ever going to do much at Lotus anyway- if I remember the story correctly, wasn't he signed after Senna had allegedly vetoed them signing Derek Warwick, becasue he thought having Warwick in the team would threaten his own position?- (I think there was something about him thinking the team couldn't run two equally competitive cars, and Warwick's presence would encourage them to try and do so?)- so they signed Dumfries as a definite no2 driver instead.

Thinking back to his sportscar career, from memory he was usually pretty quick in the Toyota, but I think I remember him being a bit accident-prone, and the car running out of fuel a lot- the Toyota V8 always struggled with the Group C fuel consumption formula
Old 30 Oct 2003, 16:08 (Ref:1797552)   #13
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you;ll find F3 in 84 was pretty strong - amongst others Gerhard Berger. F3000 he was in the lola - which should have had handles at the back so you could convert it back to its original design - a wheelbarrow.

As for special VW engines, Russell Spence ran the same motors the following year - and the series was won by Gugelmin with customer motors.

I am not saying he was the best driver ever - but not as bad as your making out.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 17:02 (Ref:1797553)   #14
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't he have a couple of goes in the works Onyx March before the Lola wheelbarrow? As for F3 in the UK in 84, well I remember the likes of Hytten/Abella/Tony Trevor/Berg/Spence (in his 1st F3 season, not many others. In Europe I agree it was stronger, Byrne/Berger/Nielsen/Capelli/Langes, all reasonable or better drivers.
Old 10 May 2021, 21:27 (Ref:4050941)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes he drove for Mike Earle in the first 2-3 rounds. Qualified near the front at Silverstone but spun off in the dreadful conditions early on. A race dominated by the uber talented Mike Thackeell.

Johnny as we now know unfortunately died in March this year.