Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2021, 12:45 (Ref:4050516)   #776
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
It's like all the niches are occupied by other racing series and as Supercars try to evolve/progress, no matter what they think up, somebody's already in that space.
eSupercars is available. There is no local electric circuit racing series AFAIK.

It might be a good way to futureproof the category? Solving the engineering challenge of an EV race car that can complete a 1000km race would be a world-first (I believe), showing Australian motorsport leading the world!

Quote:
Now they are trying to move on from lame duck #1 (ZB) to lame duck #2 (Camaro, uncertain future imo, horrible sales). Reeks of desperation, holding on tight to the last vestiges of "me like red" and of course, "me like blue"
General Motors appears to be highly valued by the Supercars category.
Old 10 May 2021, 03:08 (Ref:4050751)   #777
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Why not?

You still see far more Opel Commodores driving around than Chevrolet Camaros...

As a silhouette series, what does it matter what the body shapes are?

I'm more concerned about the GT3-push with unwanted items like paddle shift and digital rearview mirror. Stuff that nobody asked for.
Nobody asked for..... in fact, have stated quite loudly that they are not wanted, with valid reasons for having such an opinion.
Old 13 May 2021, 01:32 (Ref:4051367)   #778
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If popular green trends around the world are to be believed, Supercar should probably denounce E85 and shift to Hydrogen power....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 May 2021, 10:02 (Ref:4051424)   #779
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Nobody asked for..... in fact, have stated quite loudly that they are not wanted, with valid reasons for having such an opinion.
It's not 1992 anymore.

Paddleshift, and LCD screens in place of the rear view mirror are already old tech everywhere else in the world.

A bit of modernisation won't hurt the catagory. That the so-called fanbase can't get its head around certain things, shouldn't be a deterrant.
Old 13 May 2021, 12:19 (Ref:4051458)   #780
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
A bit of modernisation won't hurt the catagory.
Shouldn't it be about the joy of the driving?

The grand old Ferrari F50 is such a lovely sportscar compared to the modern day LaFerrari replacement: https://youtu.be/lYjxFIyO0QQ?t=501 Just 21 years ago and a fleet of supercars and sportscars with not a paddle shift in sight!

It's a joy to watch Kurosawa-san work the grand old F50 (above), just as it was a joy to watch Brock work the E30 BMW M3 or the Mobil Commodore.

The H-pattern was always a lot of fun after all [Skaife preferred 5th or 6th direct to 2nd via neutral, a shift which is impossible with a sequential or paddle system], so a return to a H-pattern would be most welcome IMO.

The other characteristics of Project Blueprint like using road-car chassis pressings, road-car body panels, road-car windscreens, road-car light fixtures, road-car dash boards (as opposed to carbon-fibre replicas) and road-car glass (at some point perspex become popular though) should also be revisited IMO.

All the things that made the category great during Project Blueprint like being based on real cars (even if the Commodores got Ford Falcon double-wishbone front suspension), teams being able to develop their own cars, teams being able to develop their own engines -- these have all gradually gone away (apart from the 10:1 cast-iron pushrod engines, albeit now quite restricted), it's such a shame.

Of course it would be welcome to drop the antiquated 2-valve cast iron port-injected pushrod engines for something more modern (and hopefully more Ferrari 458-ish or Shelby GT350-ish, with a lovely screaming wail to it).

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 13 May 2021 at 12:36.
Old 13 May 2021, 12:49 (Ref:4051460)   #781
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
It's not 1992 anymore.
Put it this way. It's meant to a Mustang out there on the track right? This is the hottest late model Mustang for driving enthusiasts, and it only comes with six gears arranged in the pattern of a H: Shelby GT350 Laguna Seca hot lap

(Sure this manual gearbox is a lot slower than the 10-speed automatic gearbox with paddle shift that came out in Mustang in 2019, which incidentally will almost always by owners be used in auto mode... But that doesn't matter. )

The Shelby GT500 is more for drag racers and would probably more commonly be purchased in automatic given autos are better for drag racing, but the ATCC is touring car racing on circuits, where the above H-pattern-only Shelby GT350 is surely the more applicable Mustang model?

If it was a Ford GT supercar out there, then by all means I would agree it should have paddle shift like the road car. But it's meant to be a Mustang out there!
Old 13 May 2021, 14:52 (Ref:4051481)   #782
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which is mostly derived from hydrocarbons and requires large amounts of electrical energy to produce. I wonder who would stump up the money to convert the cars? Fuel cells driving electric motors or ICE motors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If popular green trends around the world are to be believed, Supercar should probably denounce E85 and shift to Hydrogen power....
Old 14 May 2021, 01:58 (Ref:4051570)   #783
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Which is mostly derived from hydrocarbons and requires large amounts of electrical energy to produce. I wonder who would stump up the money to convert the cars? Fuel cells driving electric motors or ICE motors?
Actually some of the new Australian plants are powered via solar/battery so it is classified as GREEN hydrogen, so recognised as renewable.
Old 14 May 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4051612)   #784
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which ones and how is it going to be integrated into the series?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...0experts%20say.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/australi...r-cells-63927/

https://arena.gov.au/projects/?proje...ology=hydrogen

It is easy to say that Hydrogen can be used but a whole other thing to put it into the cars so they can be started and raced. IC motors, electric motors, who pays for it all etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Actually some of the new Australian plants are powered via solar/battery so it is classified as GREEN hydrogen, so recognised as renewable.
Old 14 May 2021, 20:25 (Ref:4051713)   #785
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the rumoured mid year Gen 3 launch affect the June prototype testing? I'm very excited for it, hard to believe it's so close!!!
Old 15 May 2021, 02:56 (Ref:4051732)   #786
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mid next year.
Old 15 May 2021, 09:13 (Ref:4051754)   #787
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Will the rumoured mid year Gen 3 launch affect the June prototype testing? I'm very excited for it, hard to believe it's so close!!!
There would have to be a complete chassis ready to test first... at this stage... the base cage/chassis has been built (1x Chev).. with lots more to do...
Old 15 May 2021, 22:56 (Ref:4051850)   #788
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And no real likelihood of massive savings in construction. And paddle shifts all but confirmed by Ingall and Morris on their YouTube rant.
Old 16 May 2021, 03:35 (Ref:4051856)   #789
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
And no real likelihood of massive savings in construction. And paddle shifts all but confirmed by Ingall and Morris on their YouTube rant.
And Whincup had something to say along the same laines a few days ago.
Old 16 May 2021, 09:27 (Ref:4051869)   #790
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
And Whincup had something to say along the same laines a few days ago.
Why not use mild steel for the chassis instead of chromoly, wouldn't that be a sensible move to drastically cut the cost of building a chassis!?

Mild steel rollcages are more than compliant with Motorsport Australia regulations.
Old 16 May 2021, 09:55 (Ref:4051877)   #791
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a controversial suggestion, why not use something very similar to the new Nascars which would surely be cheaper.

Otherwise there are several areas where much cheaper materials could be used with very minimal impact on performance, as in a few kilos here and there.
Old 16 May 2021, 10:50 (Ref:4051887)   #792
Spec83
Rookie

Spec83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Here's a controversial suggestion, why not use something very similar to the new Nascars which would surely be cheaper.
Just use the new NACSAR concept full stop… mustang, camaro and camry ready to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2021, 11:13 (Ref:4051890)   #793
Casper
Veteran

Complete with paddle shifting. Why all the angst if gear changing goes to paddles....is the world going to end or the sun rise in the west?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post

Otherwise there are several areas where much cheaper materials could be used with very minimal impact on performance, as in a few kilos here and there.
Old 16 May 2021, 11:52 (Ref:4051894)   #794
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec83 View Post
Just use the new NACSAR concept full stop… mustang, camaro and camry ready to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NASCAR’s legal team might be in touch.
Old 16 May 2021, 22:58 (Ref:4051990)   #795
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are Supercars spending all this time and money to develop purpose built Mustang’s & Camaro’s with V8 engines going when a series with purpose built Mustang’s & Camaro’s with V8 engines running already exists....?

The mind boggles..... times were simpler when CAMS ran the ATCC and could just apply an appropriate ruleset to the title....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Do a Bob Jane style deal?

The Repco Cup Series has a nice ring to it.....
Old 17 May 2021, 02:38 (Ref:4052000)   #796
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Why are Supercars spending all this time and money to develop purpose built Mustang’s & Camaro’s with V8 engines going when a series with purpose built Mustang’s & Camaro’s with V8 engines running already exists....?
1. Not their idea

2. Self interest. How will T8 subcontract composite parts to India when somebody is already making them? Hard to muscle your way in to an already running series.
Old 17 May 2021, 02:48 (Ref:4052001)   #797
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow.

Supercars detractors: 888 monopoly! 888 charge too much!

Same detractors: 888 outsource to India

Cognitive dissonance much.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 17 May 2021, 03:54 (Ref:4052002)   #798
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec83 View Post
Agree - not only that but it's set up for Hybrid power adding as well. Could work here with a few tweaks (such as bigger brakes for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
If they simply copied yeah but Supercars have had contact with NASCAR for quite a few years so something might be worked out.
Old 17 May 2021, 06:18 (Ref:4052007)   #799
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Wow.

Supercars detractors: 888 monopoly! 888 charge too much!

Same detractors: 888 outsource to India

Cognitive dissonance much.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

T8 do have a monopoly on some parts

T8 does outsource to India

T8 do charge too much for said parts (leading some teams to buy parts from ..other sources.)

Let me also say T8 are the class team, easily most professional.
Old 17 May 2021, 14:38 (Ref:4052056)   #800
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
T8 do have a monopoly on some parts

T8 does outsource to India

T8 do charge too much for said parts (leading some teams to buy parts from ..other sources.)

Let me also say T8 are the class team, easily most professional.
They run a business and want to maximise the return from that business as any sensible person would do. By what measure do they charge too much AKA rip other teams off? If the other teams boycotted the items and bought elsewhere then they would have two choices, lower the price or get out of the supply chain for the series.
Closed Thread