Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 16 Oct 2007, 12:23 (Ref:2041671)   #76
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The Paul Luti story has been floating around for a while now. Much as I welcome a new face to the series I just don't think it's the right car. The MG is getting far to old now and as Kartworld have shown this year is no longer on the pace. WSR's assistance will be little more than previous years' set-up data and a supply of spares - I doubt they will have any involvement in actually running the car.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 12:41 (Ref:2041698)   #77
Koulle
Racer

United Kingdom
Koulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive
A lot of drivers deserve it more?

Vauxhall now have the winners of the past 3 titles in their team - sounds like a good pairing to me.
Gordon Shedden won more races than Neal this season and beat him in the championship in only his second season and in a team where naturally Neal is favoured. So given that, it will be interesting to see how Neal fairs against the likes of Giovanardi.

IMO, when Turkington was with VXR he did a better job that Chilton has done in the past two seasons (nothing against Chilton).

I rate Plato and Turner higher than Neal (granted, Turner hasn't exactly had a great season but it's only his first full season).

Adam Jones has potential and was said to be a contender for the seat.

Mike Jordon? He's fast.

Tom Onslow-Cole, Matt Jackson and Matt Allison also have potential but it's too early to tell given that they all only have just completed their first season.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 18:34 (Ref:2042064)   #78
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
The Paul Luti story has been floating around for a while now. Much as I welcome a new face to the series I just don't think it's the right car. The MG is getting far to old now and as Kartworld have shown this year is no longer on the pace.
I agree with what you are saying, I think they gone for the old ZS due to there connection's with MG.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 18:46 (Ref:2042076)   #79
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But presumably it's a cheap and relatively risk-free way of getting into the series? Not only will the car be cheaper, but the running costs lower too.

I'm sure Luti will do a reasonable job, and if he decides the BTCC is where he wants to commit to, and has the resources to do so, then maybe he'll buy a competitive S2000 car for 2009?
Old 16 Oct 2007, 19:04 (Ref:2042091)   #80
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's not forget Andy Jordan - supposedly some dominating performances in RallyCross - IMO we could see a few race wins. I'd like to see him in an S2000 car but I doubt it will happen.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 19:24 (Ref:2042112)   #81
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The problem is that MG is never going to be on the pace. Kartworld have been slowly dropping back over the last couple of years and I expect the situation will get worse by next year. Luti will end up throwing time and money at it and get very frustrated, and appear to all the world as just another backmarker.

It's a similar situation to the likes of Jim Pocklington and Chris Stockton this year - both are capable of far more that they could achieve with the available equipment.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 20:52 (Ref:2042191)   #82
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just mentioned on TTT tonight.

Alan Gow said that a lot of people are looking at buying BMW's for next year's BTCC.

And David Pinkney is looking at 'another Alfa model' for next year!
Old 17 Oct 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2043162)   #83
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally
And David Pinkney is looking at 'another Alfa model' for next year!
He couldn't run a tried and tested 156 competitively (certainly compared to the Motorbase Integra in '06), so unless N-Tech are going to surprise all by turning out a 147/159 in S2000 spec, how's Pinkney expecting to turn out a scratchbuilt competitive car?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 22:32 (Ref:2043173)   #84
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest from Motorsport News this week is that SEAT may well go TDi, Halfords may follow suit and linked with potentially signing Thommo to drive, Turkington likely to stay with WSR and go for the title and Collard is lining up a full-time drive.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 09:02 (Ref:2044347)   #85
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Well Thompson used to drive for WSR back in 1999/2000 so I guess that link makes sense.

More BMW's are always good!
Old 19 Oct 2007, 10:59 (Ref:2044413)   #86
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A-Tech ... ex-RAC 320sis, ex-factory Vauxhalls or maybe even the old Civics (if they are going TD). Vauxhall could go diesel, it seems like we will see lots of old petrol cars floating around. The Alfa deffo has tyre problems in the British tracks, maybe it just doesn't like the Dunlops ...

Maybe the Arena outfit may get some Volvos ..
Old 19 Oct 2007, 11:34 (Ref:2044435)   #87
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this whole tyre thing is just a smoke screen from Pinkney / A Tech for their inexperience.

Look at Eoin Murrary, he's run in the Top 10 several times this season and it'd be fair to say he's not got the largest budget out there.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 12:31 (Ref:2044490)   #88
redshoes
Veteran

Snetterton and Oulton have switched dates
http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=785

From MSV's point of view it makes sense. July 26/27 is the date of WTCC @ Brands, I guess they assume there will be less of an impact of spectator numbers if BTCC is at Oulton that weekend than at Snetterton. Oddly though not for me. I's rather miss Snett than miss Oulton.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 12:47 (Ref:2044512)   #89
redshoes
Veteran

I would be amazed if there was even the slightest grain of truth in the Thompson story. For one, he's going to want to be paid, or at least not have to bring sponsorship in, and I can't see TD having that sort of backing. The other fly in the ointment is Shedden. I'm lead to believe the deal he has signed is to be the sole number one driver in the team, no doubt in part due to having to play second fiddle to Neal the last 2 years. There's no way Thompson would come in as number two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
I think this whole tyre thing is just a smoke screen from Pinkney / A Tech for their inexperience.
There's a degree of truth in the tyre thing. N-Tech built the cars with very little suspension movement, what movement there is comes mostly from the give in the tyrewalls. The WTCC Advans are a lot softer than the BTCC Dunlops in that respect. That means that when running on Dunlops the car is rock solid - there's no suspension and no give in the tyres - which makes it very difficult to drive. Look at the way the cars skip around some corners, particularly Paddock Hill at Brands.

A-Tech tried to work around the problem by re-designing the suspension, but never got it right. Don't know if Murrary's car had a slightly different suspension set-up from the start (it is an older car) or if team were able to find a different solution. Certainly after Thruxton when they shared garages Pinkney said that the team had a completely different set-up to Murray.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 13:50 (Ref:2044562)   #90
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The prospect of a pack of TDi's doesn't really thrill me that much.

Is there any way to make them "louder"?
Old 19 Oct 2007, 15:56 (Ref:2044646)   #91
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
The prospect of a pack of TDi's doesn't really thrill me that much.

Is there any way to make them "louder"?
Boomboxes?
Old 19 Oct 2007, 16:14 (Ref:2044659)   #92
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would make sense.

As a formula that is intended to represent what is currently driven by the 'common man', then they are part way there.

The pack already has plenty of small hot-hatches with the Leons and Civics, the wild styling and body kits are seen on the likes of Vectras and Integras.

Even the driver's styles have adjusted to suit, with the policy of switching headlights on when pulling up behind a driver in an attempt to intimidate.

All that's needed now is a compulsory 110decibel sound system, and a minimum 4" exhaust diameter and we'll be there!!!

Last edited by crmalcolm; 19 Oct 2007 at 16:17.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 17:35 (Ref:2044774)   #93
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm
The pack already has plenty of small hot-hatches with the Leons and Civics, the wild styling and body kits are seen on the likes of Vectras and Integras.
Bear in mind the Integra has the BTC-T Max Power style kit.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 18:59 (Ref:2044846)   #94
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Racing cars shouldn't be quiet!

I don't mind the odd TDI appearing, but an entire gridfull would be horrid...

I think though at the moment the attractiveness of the TDI route is down to the performance advantages running that spec gives. If the regs were ammended to state that the TDI's had less boost, or that the cars had to be 25kg heavier, then I think we would be seeing far less of them.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 06:02 (Ref:2045162)   #95
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If an entire grid of TDis was produced, would tracks like Brands be able to use their full circuit more ofen as there wouldn't be the noise issue?
Old 20 Oct 2007, 08:26 (Ref:2045209)   #96
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm
If an entire grid of TDis was produced, would tracks like Brands be able to use their full circuit more ofen as there wouldn't be the noise issue?
Well, I guess all the support races would need to be diesels too, but maybe yes!
Old 21 Oct 2007, 18:38 (Ref:2046619)   #97
Koulle
Racer

United Kingdom
Koulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see who switches to TDI next year.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 21:39 (Ref:2048432)   #98
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koulle
True, and I would imagine that the Civics will be more competitive next year.

A whole half a second a lap in some places apparently. Interesting that they feel more is to come from their petrol engine while a lot of others are looking at TDi to make their gains.

(Why do manufacturers always add the i in TDi/CDi etc? Surely all diesels are i by their very nature)

Also just spotted this, it would seem to confirm another two years in BTCC.
http://www.adam-jones.co.uk/index.ph...id=44&Itemid=2

Last edited by crmalcolm; 22 Oct 2007 at 21:42.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 21:46 (Ref:2048434)   #99
redshoes
Veteran

Hopefully this week's test drive will go well for him.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 22:46 (Ref:2048485)   #100
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Hopefully this week's test drive will go well for him.
With....?
Closed Thread