Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 30 Mar 2003, 02:39 (Ref:552612)   #1
NSMG
Rookie

NSMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lancia Delta S4 Rallycross

Cheers !

I'm a fan of the fire-breathing Lancia Delta S4 since the Gr.B days. For years, I've been collecting information and knowledge about these fantastic cars , but unfortunatly there isn't many information about the S4s that were used in Rallycross.I'm cuurently looking for photos / videos of the following cars :

-Matti Alamaki S4 - ERC Championship 1988
-Bruno Saby S4 - French Rallycross Championship 1988
-Luciano Tamburini S4 - Raced in some rounds of the European Rallycross Championship until the early nineties

Best Regards.
NSMG
(Portugal)
Old 30 Mar 2003, 02:52 (Ref:552623)   #2
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best noise ever, (and very weird) Alamaki reving his S4 on the start line at Lydden.

I seem to remember rumours that Ron Hudson was thinking of an S4, but decided on a Sierra Cosworth instead for RallyX.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 17:35 (Ref:552999)   #3
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Lancia of Alamäki was later restored to its original rallycar form with Martini Racing colours. It is in some museum now, I think.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 30 Mar 2003, 17:57 (Ref:553013)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NSMG, great to see you know a bit about the good old days of rallycross. I couldn't get enough of it meeself.
Ok then. Mattis 87 S4 was sold to a Finn called Jarmo Lahteenmaki who used if ffor a few years in the European championship. He actually brought it over once to Ireland and won at Mondello with it I believe.
Anopther one you may have seen as french guy called Paul Chateaux who I think brought the Saby car.
Agree about the noise. I rememebr seeing the Toivonen car in 85 when he won the RAC. Is what got me into Group B and hence rallycross. Could never understand why it wasnt the biggest motorsport in the world. Best cars, brilliant drivers and you see them all day instead of fleetingly while dodging **** and stones!!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 18:58 (Ref:553047)   #5
NSMG
Rookie

Jarmo Lahteenmaki S4 was restored to its original martini colours and is now part of the rally car collection of former WRC champion Juha Kankunnen.
Now I'm trying to locate Paul Chateaux S4 (ex-Saby) , but I don't have a clue of where this car has ended...

P.S :Photos of Alamaki's S4 are welcome !

Best Regards.
NSMG
Old 30 Mar 2003, 18:59 (Ref:553048)   #6
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeap Paul Chateaux bought the Bruno Saby car and finished third in the French round of the 1989 european chamopionship.

There was also a Spanish driver called Jordi Maso who drove a Lancia Delta. He finished 9th in the opening round of the 1989 european championship.

Rallycross was one of the biggest sports in the world in Europe but never in England. In Sweden and Norway it has always been its premier sport. Just look at the bus and awanings they have. The hyundai rallycross team now have one side for the car preperation and the other side for guests. Just look at France as well....it has always been massive. Its there premier motor sport they have. the auto hebdo had a 64 page feature on it last year......what magazine in england would do that..erm none.....the european series is lucky if it even gets a mention in the Autosport. It comes down to the fact that the British have never ever been professional enough. If you take Gollop and Doran out of the series now then they just look like ametuers and it isnt very media freindly. All you have to do is look at the mechanics not in team overalls to realise how much off a gap there is between british and european rallycross. It all comes back to the same fact that the we have never run rules in line with those in Europe.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 01:35 (Ref:553316)   #7
NSMG
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter S

There was also a Spanish driver called Jordi Maso who drove a Lancia Delta. He finished 9th in the opening round of the 1989 european championship.
I've did some research on the internet and tried to find some photos of Jordi Maso's Delta S4.
Can anyone post some photos of his S4 please ?

P.S: The S4 is still very much alive in the Italian Autocross scene...nothing can touch it !
Take a look at :
http://www.autocrossitalia.it/video.htm

Best Regards.
NSMG
Old 31 Mar 2003, 12:23 (Ref:553704)   #8
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by chunder
Ok then. Mattis 87 S4 was sold to a Finn called Jarmo Lahteenmaki who used if ffor a few years in the European championship. He actually brought it over once to Ireland and won at Mondello with it I believe.
As I recall, Lahtenmaki brought his S4 to Lydden as well- think it was 1989- (certainly one of the first rallycross meetings I ever went to, so must have been around that date)
Old 31 Mar 2003, 17:34 (Ref:553982)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you are right KA, I was there in about 1989. Was white wasn't it with a sort of Martini stripe up the side. He was not really that quick though but it looked ans sounded lovely.
Made a special effort to stand next to him during the warm up roller sessions they used to have in those days aswell