Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Feb 2003, 07:20 (Ref:500315)   #1
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren and Ferrari a joke!!

I don't know about all of you F1 supporters out there but I am really upset about how McLaren and Ferrari aren't starting with there new cars out Melbourne like everyone else. There reason's for doing this is because they believe last years cars are more reliable and likely to gain them valuable points. Well I believe that they should be made to start with there new cars as they both have the biggest budgets out there and if they can't manage to build a reliable car then bad luck. If the FIA let them continue doing this then knowone will be able to gain any points on them. Just wondering what everyone else thinks as it really is bugging me.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 07:24 (Ref:500317)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't figure what exactly your point is. Williams can start with a old year car as well, can't they? :confused: What rule do they break so FIA must not "let them continue doing this"?
Old 8 Feb 2003, 07:30 (Ref:500320)   #3
Scott75
Veteran

I'm not saying that they are breaking any rules I'm just saying that I think with the resources that they have I just think that they should start the season with there new cars. I know that Williams or any other team can do it also but I just think that Formula 1 being what it is about technology it would be nice to see the new cars all out at the start of the season.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 07:35 (Ref:500322)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
I don't deny that I'm eagerly waiting to see the new babies doing business, but if they chose otherwise... that's life, I have to wait. I believe that they're more qualified to give opinions than I am. Certainly it's not a joke and it doesn't bug me a bit. Besides, they don't build new cars just for the sake of it (or for our fun), they build new cars because they try to gain advantage over the competitors who also constantly improve their cars and so on.

Last edited by Red; 8 Feb 2003 at 07:36.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 08:09 (Ref:500342)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dissagree , i thik Mclaren and Ferrari are very smart , and are starting the season with revised versions of last years cars.....that then gives us something to look forward to when they introduce the new chassis during the season.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 08:10 (Ref:500343)   #6
Scott75
Veteran

Oh well, your entitled to your opinion and I respect it, it's just that I would love to see the new car out there in Melbourne, maybe a joke was a bit strong. I'm just a passionite F1 fan and would love to see the new cars up close. I know it's is very Big Business and they all in it for themselves and to be the best and that my opinion doesn't mean anything to them but that's just my view.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 08:21 (Ref:500352)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i see what your saying there Scott....i didnt realise that you was from Melbourne......

In truth from a personal point of view i would also want to see the new cars out on the track if i lived in Melbourne and was going to the race....but i was makking my opinion from the point of view that we dont get the british GP until July.........If Britian was round 1 , i would probally have a different view.

Last edited by Sato san; 8 Feb 2003 at 08:23.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 08:27 (Ref:500354)   #8
Scott75
Veteran

Yeah Sato san I do live in Melbourne and I'm just really disappointed that for the 2nd year running that I'm not going to see the new Ferrari. And I was looking forward to seeing the new McLaren as I believe it will be a bit different. So how is it the wintery UK? Melbourne is going through a drought so I imagine the 1st GP of the year will be quite hot so reliability may be an issue. You never know Webber might win it this year, here's to wishful thinking.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 08:37 (Ref:500360)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Webber win !...anything can happen at melbourne with the usual carnage at turn 1....worth a bet ?....

UK is cold at the moment , also , there is a F1 test at Silverstone this month , i wanted to go and have a look at the cars for myself , but doesnt look like i can make it.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 08:40 (Ref:500363)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott75
they all in it for themselves and to be the best and that my opinion doesn't mean anything to them but that's just my view.
Well, they are all in it for themselves, of course, but your opinion DOES mean lots for them!! Just say what would you rather prefer them to do: show the new car, while stationary then run it for a couple of laps and have a mechanical failure, or royally treat you with 1h30min screaming cars albeit the last years...
Old 8 Feb 2003, 09:02 (Ref:500375)   #11
Scott75
Veteran

Personally I'd like to see someone different win some more races other than have Ferrari dominate. But saying that, Ferrari in last years car would dominate anyway, so new cars or not Ferrari will still win until a certain Schumacher retires. But if they did bring the new car to Melbourne it would just add some variables to the show.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 09:21 (Ref:500384)   #12
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Well, the main reason is the distance. The cars, after competed in Oz GP are not shipped back to Maranello (or Woking), but directly to M'sya and Brazil. In Europe is different, for example if a car fails they can analyse it in their labs and for the next GP they can correct the problem. So they'd rather use a car which they fully understand all strong points and weak points, rather than 'testing' it in real race conditions. The risk is too much, the risk of using an old car while everyone else brings their new (and improved) cars is also big, but if they can afford that... good for them!

Anyway. Don't be disapointed if you can't see the new cars. Even if they brought them, you won't be anywhere near them. If you go to the track, you might be able to admire (in the visitor's area) the last year's cars.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 09:38 (Ref:500395)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Be glad you didn't watch racing in the '70s the Lotus 72 and McLaren M23 were wheeled out again and again to start many seasons.This new car every season is a relatively recent thing.If last years aint broke why fix it if it still does the biz?.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 10:11 (Ref:500415)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think we should consider the various teams' programs for racing in any year, then concentrating on developing a new car after the season finishes for the following year, and testing, and so on. I think if a team is confident their previous year's car is more likely to score points while the new car is still being tested, then it is something they must do. I mean, when the new Honda blows up half way through the Albert Park race, then everyone would say they should have raced last year's car. However, it would be nice if the new Ferrari was put on show in a mall to publicise the GP and also to please Ferrari suporters. I suppose if they bought as many Ferraris in Melbourne as they do in Hong Kong, then that would be a good argument to put the new Ferrari f2003 on display for the public at Chadstone.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 8 Feb 2003 at 10:13.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 10:12 (Ref:500417)   #15
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What better way to gauge how well a competitor is doing by starting out with the old car!

Reliability my ass.

Teams *know* where the car is, but they don't know where the new car is until they size it up against the current cars of opposing teams.

There should be a rule that stipulates teams must start with their current year chassis and aero package, not the old fluff.

The loop hole must be closed. lest we see Ferrari, McLaren and Williams bringing out all new cars 1.5 to 2 months into the game for Nth years on down the road.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 10:18 (Ref:500419)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
What loop hole? How do you then define a new car? Ferrari makes more upgrades for their cars each year than Minardi does in ten years. What's to stop Ferrari from unveiling their new car in May? Are we going to stop Minardi from racing because their new car is merely an upgrade on last year's car? Like "Hey, where's your new car, Paul Stoddart"?
Old 8 Feb 2003, 10:20 (Ref:500421)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
C'mon come on!!!! The trend nowadays is to reduce costs!! And you want them to start with a new car every season? Noooooooway! Besides, the 'current year chassis' doesn't work when looked from the other side of the matter: the car that ends the season at Suzuka has almost nothing in common with the one that started the season!! What do you mean, force them to build a new car every year then stop the development process? Hmmm.....
Old 8 Feb 2003, 10:35 (Ref:500425)   #18
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can se your point scott-that you miss seeing the new car in the flesh.
Personally i like it when the do such things.ANYthing to make a difference from bernie and max's BORING rules(everyone MUST race two cars at EVERY round of the champs.It's all way too organised now
Old 8 Feb 2003, 10:52 (Ref:500439)   #19
Scott75
Veteran

I just think RWC that if all the teams bring there new cars over to the OZ GP that it will an extra variable to the race. You might actually see a major upset in the race. Say a Toyota or something that knowone could dream of, a bit like Minardi last year. The buzz in Melbourne last year afterwards was amazing. Not many people spoke about MS winning again, it was all Minardi and Mark Webber. I hope we do something a little more exciting this year otherwise F1 will loose even more supporters unless you love Ferrari.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 11:29 (Ref:500499)   #20
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"if all the teams bring there new cars over to the OZ GP that it will an extra variable to the race. You might actually see a major upset in the race"
Absolutley!
Honestly though i wouldn't care if they all got here or not
Maybe i'm just thoroughly tired of the way B&M run everything.....It used to be really interesting in the old days-one car teams,little teams getting points at the away races...
yeah,i'm just ranting partly off subject
Old 8 Feb 2003, 11:39 (Ref:500513)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Say a Toyota or something that knowone could dream of, a bit like Minardi last year. The buzz in Melbourne last year afterwards was amazing. Not many people spoke about MS winning again, it was all Minardi and Mark Webber.
I think if Minardi came 5th again this year after another carnage, there would not be the same interest or buzz. The only reason there was this excitement last year was because an Aussi rookie miraculously brought that hunk of junk into fifth place. I remember I was jumping myself, although I only watched it on the telly. Now, if Mark Webber came 5th in the Jaguar at Albert Park this year, without any carnage in front, there will be pandemonium.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 11:39 (Ref:500515)   #22
Scott75
Veteran

The only thing I hope for is good racing, you don't want to see a procession. That's the only reason I would like to see all the new cars out here is because of the unpredictability it would add in the race. Let's hope we do see someone different win or on the podium.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 11:42 (Ref:500517)   #23
Scott75
Veteran

I'd love to see Mark Webber on the podium in his own right but I doubt that the Jag is up to it. Maybe in a couple of years. I know Mark is capable of it. I do agree with regarding last year, the only thing that would beat that excitment would be Webber winning the race.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 11:46 (Ref:500529)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
you don't want to see a procession.
That's debateable, but anyway: a processions is exactly what we all will see during the next season. That ****ing point system will delay the Championship for a couple of races, but on-track action it will bring not.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 11:47 (Ref:500531)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
The only thing I hope for is good racing, you don't want to see a procession. That's the only reason I would like to see all the new cars out here is because of the unpredictability it would add in the race. Let's hope we do see someone different win or on the podium.
I fully agree with you. However, after seeing pics of the new Ferrari, I don't fancy our chances. Yeah!! I'd just love to see Mark Webber up there on the podium. That would make my day.