Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Feb 2017, 22:30 (Ref:3708857)   #26
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BE is many things but stupid is not one of them.
He'll want to see F1 succeed in the short term (or at least not implode.)
I can also see Liberty calling him back in to talk with the promoters (existing and new) as BE knows them all and how to deal with them.
However, I can't see Mr E just sitting at home bothering the garden for too long, he's been an active participant in business for too long to suddenly stop. (Maybe a cause outside of motorsport?)
Old 2 Feb 2017, 22:49 (Ref:3708867)   #27
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
I can also see Liberty calling him back in to talk with the promoters (existing and new) as BE knows them all and how to deal with them.
I can imagine the potential for Liberty to consult with BE (as needed and of course as a paid consultant) but I would be absolutely shocked if it was anything else including something as you suggest (direct involvement in contract negotiations). In fact I wouldn't be shocked if his involvement is 100% done already. If the wanted him around as a security blanket they wouldn't have cut him loose.

Richard
Old 3 Feb 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3708961)   #28
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I can imagine the potential for Liberty to consult with BE (as needed and of course as a paid consultant) but I would be absolutely shocked if it was anything else including something as you suggest (direct involvement in contract negotiations). In fact I wouldn't be shocked if his involvement is 100% done already. If the wanted him around as a security blanket they wouldn't have cut him loose.

Richard
The corollary being, if Bernie truly wanted to stay involved he probably would have and Liberty would not have got the deal they got!
Old 3 Feb 2017, 09:45 (Ref:3708981)   #29
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Richard
But haven't they retained access to Bernie with his 'Chairman Emeritus' role (or whatever the Latin phrase was that they used)?
Old 3 Feb 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3708991)   #30
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
But haven't they retained access to Bernie with his 'Chairman Emeritus' role (or whatever the Latin phrase was that they used)?
Fair point. I forgot about that. Either it is a real role, a polite face saving gesture or a bit of both. Given he has some type of title I would assume he is still on the payroll somehow. BE seems to act as he has been locked out, so maybe its more of the face saving scenario with it being up to BE to decide to go along with the charade or not. I guess time will tell if, how and when they may utilize him.

To the point earlier about him starting a break away series (which seems to have been put to bed), he couldn't have it both ways... work for Liberty in some role and create a direct competitor at the same time. I posted earlier about non-competition clause. If he is still employed somehow, Liberty would be crazy for not having him already sign that type of agreement. If all ties were completely broken, then I might believe no agreement exists.

Richard
Old 3 Feb 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3709081)   #31
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Nigel Roebuck's take on BE in his latest Autosport piece is good and from other things I have read by other 'commentators', I think the concensus is that BE's style and approach got F1 to where it is, but is not the future way it needs to approach business. BE thrived on making the deal, applying pressure, getting the best over everyone, it was his way of measuring himself, keeping score. This suited CVC who wanted profit over all other concerns (I believe it is one of their most profitable investments ever), BE kept squeezing until it hurt and CVC kept counting the money.

From what I have seen and read, I hope and believe that this will not be Liberty's way, I believe that continuing the business style under BE and CVC that F1 was close to collapse, too much of it is unsustainable, Mercedes are probably nearer the end of their time in F1 than the beginning, European circuits largely cannot afford F1 and the number of unaccountable regimes who can pour public money into a vanity project are falling or simply can no longer afford it.

So, will Liberty be canvassing BE's opinion and expertise? I don't think they will, I think it is a honourary title to acknowledge where BE has brought F1, but I doubt he will meaningfully be part of its future.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3709399)   #32
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree with the above statement, Bernie helped get F1 where it is, but seemed to be stuck in a time warp and as a result didn't get with the times and that is why it suffered in recent times
Old 4 Feb 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3709404)   #33
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It's just time for Bernie to relax he is almost 87, the smart thing for Liberty would be able to call on him for his thoughts on a deal related subject, if they feel they need him..
Bernie maybe you would like to visit some races as a spectator ? 😊
Old 4 Feb 2017, 18:05 (Ref:3709455)   #34
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can someone make a competing series with pretty cars with nice sounding engines?

Bernie may be out of date, but some out of date things are just plain better. F1 aesthetics and audibles for example. But not milk.

Arguably, some stuff BE Came up with was mental, but actually very modern. Gimmick medal and qualifying systems were crap, but actually very modern. NASCAR has the race for the chase for the quest for the cup for the thing, whilst Formula-E has fan votes for boosts. BTCC does reverse grid out of a hat. IMSA does points mid-race for the NAEC cup. I hope liberty doesn't take a 'modern' approach in that sense.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3709553)   #35
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Can someone make a competing series with pretty cars with nice sounding engines?
.......http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/03/31/...gory-launched/
Old 5 Feb 2017, 06:39 (Ref:3710005)   #36
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
The noise could be good, although all will sound the same! Sadly in the UK by the time certain circuit noise restrictions were taken into consideration, probably hardly hear them. And not so sure I'd call the prototype 'pretty'......

Here's an idea- Why not just watch historic racing- F1, HGPCA or any other!
Old 5 Feb 2017, 15:21 (Ref:3710148)   #37
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Here's an idea- Why not just watch historic racing- F1, HGPCA or any other!
I with that series well, but I say the same when this comes up! The specs people sometimes ask for are technological throwbacks that pretty much match historic racing.

Richard
Old 5 Feb 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3710161)   #38
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Dear lord that's awful. 1970s stuff and 2010 are the worst looking F1 cars of the lot. Could they not have made them look like 80s or 90s vehicles?

Quote:
I with that series well, but I say the same when this comes up! The specs people sometimes ask for are technological throwbacks that pretty much match historic racing.

Richard
Lots of problems with Historic Racing though - bad drivers, small grids, poor TV coverage, no live streams, no live timing, and bad racing. I'm sure it's lovely hearing the sound and seeing the cars, but really - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLqI7S6Cs7Y

When I asked for better looking cars, I'm not asking for technological throwbacks. I'm asking for the cars to look nice. And sound nice. You can do that whilst having technology too. I want to see the best drivers in the world, with awesome looking and sounding cars. If I watch historic racing, I might get some awesome looking and sounding cars, but they are barely drivers, nevermind the best, and it's barely racing. Certainly the Group C events at Le Mans have been more of a parade than a race.

There will be exceptions such as Goodwood and the Le Mans Classic, but generally, no thanks. It's all fine and good for what it is, but it is not a substitute for those who are not satisfied with the direction F1 is going in.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 21:52 (Ref:3710264)   #39
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Dear lord that's awful. 1970s stuff and 2010 are the worst looking F1 cars of the lot. Could they not have made them look like 80s or 90s vehicles?
It's actually based on the Swift Formula Nippon car - regarded by many people to be one of -if not THAT- best-looking open-wheelers of the modern age.

That giant airbox does ruin it, though. The old Lola T330/332 F5000 car was a really sharp looking car(particularly in the black Interscope colors), but that airbox was ridiculous.

Also, the folks behind FT5000 really screwed up in announcing it. I was stunned when the car began testing because I had dismissed it as an April Fool's joke due to the date of announcement - putting a 70s F5000 airbox on one of the best looking modern open wheelers did not help to make it look legit, either. It's 2017, if you MUST have an airbox we know of far more efficient shapes to use, don't just use the old style to create a connection that need not be made - people will get the connection once they hear the engine.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3710498)   #40
Richard C
Veteran

We are way off topic here, but I will try to make this my last post (and a bit of a rant) on this derailment! I say this fits my theory that all threads in the F1 forum eventually gravitates and becomes "This is what is wrong with F1 and here is how you fix it"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
It's actually based on the Swift Formula Nippon car - regarded by many people to be one of -if not THAT- best-looking open-wheelers of the modern age.
See, that is also part of the problem. We as fan can't quite agree on what part of the past we want to replicate. That is a challenge by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
That giant airbox does ruin it, though. The old Lola T330/332 F5000 car was a really sharp looking car(particularly in the black Interscope colors), but that airbox was ridiculous.
The airbox is ridiculous on the formula thunder car. Pure pandering to the fans, but in a japanese "bosozoku style" way with extreme exaggeration of real elements, but with them being so over the top as to be totally functionless. "Contrived" is the word I am looking for.

Quote:
Lots of problems with Historic Racing though - bad drivers, small grids, poor TV coverage, no live streams, no live timing, and bad racing. I'm sure it's lovely hearing the sound and seeing the cars, but really - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLqI7S6Cs7Y
Actually using historic racing as the baseline is unfair (and I am guilty of that). Historic racing (which I love) is a great way to see and hear the cars in person. But, yes, the quality of racing is just not there and that is fine as I frankly don't think anyone expects it to be. It is generally wealth gentleman drivers who are doing their best and having fun via their Walter Mitty moment. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It fills a particular niche.

I think what people ask for is what I would call "professional vintage racing". They long for a top tier series which also has significant technical restrictions that define the look and sound of the cars (with the look and sound generally being something modeled upon a previous motorsports era). Everyone has their personal list of what is wrong with racing and some will attach those to this utopian ideal as well. Examples being lower costs, quality of racing, etc. This ideal becomes some sort of panacea.

My point is that...

If the spec is so tight that more money does not increase speed, then there is little reason to try to find money, which means no large sponsors, which means no prestige, which means no top level engineering and driver talent, which means that (broadly speaking) nobody would care or watch.

Or put another way...

This idyllic tightly controlled series would never be a top tier or prestigious series with a wide fanbase or viewership, but rather a niche product.

Hybrid versions work (such as NASCAR) in which the regulations are tight and looks and sound is preserved, but spending money can equate to performance so the sponsorship and ultimately prestige exists. But those who like technological progress... NASCAR doesn't scratch our (or at least my) itch. Also... year after year those cars (at least to me) pretty much look/sound the same. I like to see something different other than new livery.

Quote:
When I asked for better looking cars, I'm not asking for technological throwbacks. I'm asking for the cars to look nice. And sound nice. You can do that whilst having technology too. I want to see the best drivers in the world, with awesome looking and sounding cars.
I think that "beauty is speed" is a fine goal, but I have a hard time figuring out how to marry both a spec look and sound plus technological freedom.

Rant over.

Richard
Old 6 Feb 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3710519)   #41
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Richard, if I may pick you up on one point. Try and look up some of the Youtubes of historic racing in the UK and in other places. Some of the dicing in, for example, Goodwood, Silverstone or Monaco is the historics, whether they be F1 cars, sports or tourers, is as close and as spectacular (if not even more so) as it was years ago. Yes, there are the gentleman/women drivers out there, but at the pointy end they don't hold back.

And with the cars having been restored and prepared with, let's just leave it at, precision (so as not to start WWW III), the cars being driven at their limits can leave you almost speechless.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3710527)   #42
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Yes, there are the gentleman/women drivers out there, but at the pointy end they don't hold back.
Yeah, so I really didn't want to appear to disparage historic racing as I enjoy watching as a spectator. So I stand by my broader point, but I also agree with your comments above.

Richard
Old 6 Feb 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3710536)   #43
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I think what people ask for is what I would call "professional vintage racing". They long for a top tier series which also has significant technical restrictions that define the look and sound of the cars (with the look and sound generally being something modeled upon a previous motorsports era). Everyone has their personal list of what is wrong with racing and some will attach those to this utopian ideal as well. Examples being lower costs, quality of racing, etc. This ideal becomes some sort of panacea.
Which is what the Daytona Prototype was morphing into, a "greatest hits" of the GTP era in the looks department.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 00:16 (Ref:3710587)   #44
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic racing is enthusiast racing.
Old 12 May 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3821636)   #45
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bernie has just bought McLaren!

Well just one of them precisely Senna's 1993 McLaren Ford MP4/8-6 for a cool €4.1 million.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/135962
Old 14 May 2018, 05:03 (Ref:3822261)   #46
ibsey
Rookie

ibsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Bernie has just bought McLaren!

Well just one of them precisely Senna's 1993 McLaren Ford MP4/8-6 for a cool €4.1 million.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/135962
Knowing Bernie brought it to store it as an investment, rather than let it run at events.
Old 14 May 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3822302)   #47
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibsey View Post
Knowing Bernie brought it to store it as an investment, rather than let it run at events.
I know a few years ago he displayed many of his collection at the time at the Bahrain Grand Prix ans several of them were driven by F1 notables as part of the support programme. They do spend most of their time tucked away at Biggin Hill Airfield which he also owns

Those displayed were:

-- 1937 Mercedes-Benz W125

-- 1937 Auto Union C Type

-- 1948 Maserati 4CLT

-- 1949 Talbot Lago T26C

-- 1951 Ferrari 125 "Thinwall Special"

-- 1951 Ferrari 375

-- 1954 BRM V16 Mk.II

-- 1954 Maserati 250F

-- 1954 Ferrari 555 Supersqualo

-- 1954 Lancia D50

-- 1955 Connaught B-Type

-- 1956 Lancia-Ferrari D50A

-- 1956 Vanwall

-- 1960 Ferrari 246 Dino

-- 1964 Ferrari 1512

-- 1966 Ferrari 312

-- 1975 Brabham BT44B

-- 1976 McLaren M23

-- 1977 Ferrari 312T3

-- 1978 Brabham BT46B

-- 1980 Brabham-Ford BT49

-- 1982 Brabham-BMW BT50

-- 1983 Brabham-BMW BT52

-- 1987 Brabham-BMW BT56
http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...car-collection

He also had an amazing collection of road cars of which he sold about 50 of at auction at about that time or before. These ranged from a Ford Anglia to a 1937 Mercedes 540K Special Roader worth several million. These were sold to pay for his interest in acquiring F1 cars.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rd-Anglia.html
Old 14 May 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3822319)   #48
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At least one of his F1 cars was raced at Monaco Classic over the last weekend.
Old 24 May 2018, 05:48 (Ref:3824335)   #49
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alas, the 1951 Ferrari 375 he owns is the one that drove Froilán González to the win at Silverstone, isn't it???