Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Feb 2018, 02:29 (Ref:3800148)   #121
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!
It won't happen at Sebring because Toyota doesn't own Sebring.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 02:29 (Ref:3800149)   #122
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I think IMSA is more professional than that. However the ACO/WEC’s Alonso love could undermine the combined event. Sebring is the third Saturday in March. Suppose the F1 schedule also starts that same weekend but Alonso still also want to race in the WEC. Does the WEC then demand that IMSA change the date for Sebring?

Based upon recent events, the answer is almost certainly yes. The answer from IMSA should be to tell the WEC to pound stand — Sebring is a very traditional race held on at a very specific time each year. The WEC then jumps ships, holding an event someplace else at a date that can accommodate Alonso's schedule and blames IMSA in general and Sebring in particular for “forcing” them to move their portion of the event.
That I feel is entirely possible and in fact probable knowing the FIA. And they will find out, just like the FIA not having free reign over US based series, no one in the US gives a rip about their demands. I expect this will end the international prototypes if F1 does schedule on the same weekend as Sebring 2019.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 04:50 (Ref:3800163)   #123
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
I have yet to see the ACO DEMAND IMSA do anything on the dates. They asked for plm to be pushed up so they can have no conflict but that's not demanding. I think this reaction is overblown and it's not going to change anything in the future. Good luck telling them to "pound sand" lol
Old 10 Feb 2018, 05:19 (Ref:3800169)   #124
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
WEC is just gonna keep shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3800301)   #125
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
As a result of the fuji Alonso debacle. I think a good revenge is to pull the Sebring 1500 mile race from the wec. I think imsa with the Sebring track have the power to do this still?
That'd be a childish response to a stupid situation that the WEC has created for itself. IMSA should just take the moral high ground and not react.

WEC spent a long time ignoring P1 privateer teams and then had to go running back to them when they needed them. Lessons have not been learnt as again we're shafting the small guys to get a big one in. This will hurt WEC more than IMSA, so all IMSA need to do is shut up and let WEC cause its own problems.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3800302)   #126
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I have yet to see the ACO DEMAND IMSA do anything on the dates. They asked for plm to be pushed up so they can have no conflict but that's not demanding. I think this reaction is overblown and it's not going to change anything in the future. Good luck telling them to "pound sand" lol
Wow, the ego there. I believe a series has already told the ACO to f off once, and it faced the exact same fate as the series who embraced the ACO rules.

And no, a comment from Neveu expressed displeasure and a backhanded well we see where we sit to IMSA comment after IMSA told them Petit wasn't moving. Which if they bothered to report, it's exactly what they told the WEC when the subject was broached over a month ago. And yet he acted like they have asked and IMSA was considering a move, they were NOT.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3800304)   #127
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure IMSA considered a move but found out pretty quickly it was practically impossible at this point.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 15:42 (Ref:3800316)   #128
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
As Akrapovic said, let the ACO screw themselves or to bend over backwards for once next time something like this happens. I doubt that IMSA really gives a damn if the ACO decide to back out of Sebring in much the same way that the ACO probably don't give a damn about the PLM/Fuji date clash.

The current ACO administration, who I've had a beef with since they came in after 2008, have made some wise moves recently, especially with LMP1, but we've still yet to see if the BOP is right there or not.

And yes, I believe that the ACO and IMSA should be on the same page basically as when Don Panoz ran the show, but that's a case there I'd argue of Panoz tiring of giving a crap about IMSA and the ACO after his team won GT2 at LM in '06, as Panoz achieved what he wanted to achieve all along.

Of course, this is what sometimes bores and tires me about motorsports and sports in general. I go to them to try and escape from politicking and the BS of the real world, but that same crap finds it own way in to ruin that, too.

But I also agree with Akrapovic. At this stage, IMSA telling the ACO/WEC to buzz off from Sebring is an equally stupid answer to a stupid problem the ACO and the FIA created.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 16:18 (Ref:3800326)   #129
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
It won't happen at Sebring because Toyota doesn't own Sebring.
What happens if Alonso is atop the WEC standings after five races heading into Sebring but the Sebring date clashes with the start of the F1 season? You really think that the ACO/WEC and Toyota wouldn't want to make it so Alonso could race either by change the date of Sebring or when that doesn't happen, racing someplace else instead on a date that works for Alonso?
Old 10 Feb 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3800338)   #130
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!
WEC can do whatever they want, the date for the Sebring 12H 2019 is not gonna change.

Now, if the above painted scenario would become reality, it would be typically WEC arrogance to schedule a replacement event at the same weekend as Daytona in, let's say, Mexico City.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 01:46 (Ref:3800396)   #131
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
That'd be a childish response to a stupid situation that the WEC has created for itself. IMSA should just take the moral high ground and not react.

WEC spent a long time ignoring P1 privateer teams and then had to go running back to them when they needed them. Lessons have not been learnt as again we're shafting the small guys to get a big one in. This will hurt WEC more than IMSA, so all IMSA need to do is shut up and let WEC cause its own problems.
Publically or privately the folks at IMSA need to finally accept that the WEC can't be trusted anymore.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 02:08 (Ref:3800404)   #132
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
What happens if Alonso is atop the WEC standings after five races heading into Sebring but the Sebring date clashes with the start of the F1 season? You really think that the ACO/WEC and Toyota wouldn't want to make it so Alonso could race either by change the date of Sebring or when that doesn't happen, racing someplace else instead on a date that works for Alonso?
Do you really think that F1 is going to randomly move their first race to conflict with Sebring if Alonso is leading the points? The only scenario that happens is if someone is politically motivated to keep Alonso from finishing the WEC season, and in that case a WEC schedule change won't get approved anyways.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 02:58 (Ref:3800410)   #133
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Publically or privately the folks at IMSA need to finally accept that the WEC can't be trusted anymore.
IMO, they never could be trusted. They were always more "actively competing with" ALMS than they were partners under the ACO/sportscar banner. There have been around 10 IMSA/ALMS races a year and 6-8 WEC races per year. That's 18 weeks out of 50 (exclude Christmas and one other for holiday-sake). Make it work. Broken down even further, if Daytona, Sebring and Petit are the major ones you want to avoid, that's 9-11 weeks out of 50 that need to be separated. If you can't work that out, and consider traditional dates, then you are a competitor moreso than someone to trust.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 04:31 (Ref:3800420)   #134
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
WEC spent a long time ignoring P1 privateer teams and then had to go running back to them when they needed them..
That's note quite true. The majority of these privateer entries were all already in the works before everything hit the fan - I figure we got two more privateer P1s out of this than we would have had otherwise. Three at most. The ACO didn't go running back to them, they breathed a sigh of relief that programs were in the works.

The Ginetta was announced months before Porsche's withdrawal(January and July 2017 respectively), and Dallara had been rumored to be working on something around a month before he Porsche announcement.

All the ACO had to do was work out if any parity should be applied to the Toyotas.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 08:35 (Ref:3800448)   #135
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
All the ACO had to do was work out if any parity should be applied to the Toyotas.
"All the ACO had to do was make sure the new cars could be competitive this time"

Yes, that's running back to them. Ignored when they were rolling in Audi and Nissan money, and then made sure they could be competitive once the big teams left. I never said the Porsche announcement was the tipping point.