Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 12 Feb 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3800773)   #16
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If the other teams sent a press release of who drives first it would be on Autosport.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 00:14 (Ref:3800830)   #17
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All very well but journalism has nothing to do with press releases...
Old 13 Feb 2018, 02:10 (Ref:3800848)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
I don't bother with Autosport for teh news. I just goo-goo that stuff. And I usually find it on some other outpost of Brown's media empire that hasn't got a paywall.

All that said I think there's genuinely strong retro articles during the off-season. The race reports are on point, I like reading the national news. The features are good.

The magazine seems thinner -- on touch at least. And I'd rather a more comprehensive listing as to the live motorsport whether online or on the box. That would be something of real use to me that Autosport isn't doing adequately.

As for Alonso you do have to factor in the objective reality that people are going to be genuinely enthused by Alonso doing the multidisciplinary thing. It does hark back to Clark and all that stuff.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 06:12 (Ref:3800868)   #19
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
I decided a while back that quite a few magazines were not as good value for money as they used to be, but thatís got more to do with the sticker price than anything contained in them. I looked at the online version of several, but some seem to be around the same cost for having no paper copy, so I was left with three choices- give some up, lurk suspiciously in the newsagent for a quick read, or subscribe to an online monthly multi-magazine subscription. The last allows me to read as many of the hundreds of weeklies, monthlies, etc that are listed as I want, and includes Autosport among the dozen or so I read regularly...... If a particular issue of any mag doesnít interest me that much, no big deal!
Old 13 Feb 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3800907)   #20
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are at it again. It’s everyday! Today is a story about the halo but they use a photo of a McLaren, so showing sponsors, and quotes from two McLaren people.

I used to live Autosport so it’s such a shame. I know the media world has changed massively but this is just to mercenary and the few serious journos left can’t be too happy professionally.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 10:37 (Ref:3800913)   #21
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
They are at it again. Itís everyday! Today is a story about the halo but they use a photo of a McLaren, so showing sponsors, and quotes from two McLaren people.

I used to live Autosport so itís such a shame. I know the media world has changed massively but this is just to mercenary and the few serious journos left canít be too happy professionally.
I think that you are being grossly unfair to Autosport, and their editorial team.

Has it not crossed your mind that each team in F1 have marketing and PR departments that are responsible for making sure that their team's interests are disseminated across the media? Isn't it just possible that McLaren, now being led by a PR/marketing man in Zak Brown, know the value of releasing as much guff as they can so as to get maximum brand awareness?

The fact that the other teams do not feature as much may well be because they are not playing the game as well as McLaren. They must be fully aware that McLaren are featuring a lot; it's up to them to use the media, but they don't seem to want to do so.

And if you listened to the Goodwood commentaries, you would come to appreciate that Autosport Magazine's editor, Kevin Turner, is hugely passionate about motorsport in all it's forms. But he has to face reality, and if F1 on the face of the magazine keeps the sales figures up, then that is what he has to do.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 11:51 (Ref:3800938)   #22
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
I used to Ďliveí Motoring News, or Motorsport News as itís called nowadays. I bet the other Mike did as well, especially the multiple pages of race / rally cars and spares for sale in the classifieds!

Itís lost all that, but times have moved on. Autosport has changed as well, so has Motorsport, MCN, and likely many others, but thereís a lot more important stuff going on in the world to get uptight about.....
Old 13 Feb 2018, 12:33 (Ref:3800949)   #23
peebee2
Veteran

Nothing against Kevin at all, but the editor is hardly the boss these days.

Again, anyone who thinks reporting is to do with PR departments and press releases clearly doesn’t know what journalism is!
Old 13 Feb 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3800953)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
They also had a nice feature on Ash Sutton, so itís not all about F1/McLaren on there
Old 13 Feb 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3800954)   #25
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
peebee- So, you’ve nothing against the Editor. In which case, who exactly are you directing the harsh criticism shown in your posts at?
Old 13 Feb 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3801004)   #26
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I used to Ďliveí Motoring News, or Motorsport News as itís called nowadays. I bet the other Mike did as well, especially the multiple pages of race / rally cars and spares for sale in the classifieds!
What you say is true, but for reasons that I cannot recall, I never purchased MN.

Before I became interested in motorsport, I met and established a friendship with one of Gregor Grant's (the founder of Autosport) sons who happened to live very near me. Through the son I met a new group of friends who were all into motorsport and so started my love affair with the sport.

I was lucky that I didn't need to rely on adverts for sourcing spares and parts. Through networking, I amassed a huge supply chain, but a lot was engineered by my own fair hands. I believed in racing on the cheap, and bartered as much as I could for what I needed. Worked for 5 years, until I needed to replace the motor with something a bit more sophisticated than a pre-crossflow push-rod.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3801022)   #27
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Nothing against Kevin at all, but the editor is hardly the boss these days.

Again, anyone who thinks reporting is to do with PR departments and press releases clearly doesnít know what journalism is!
for those of us who know nothing of PR / press / media, how about you try to expand the above so we can understand what you mean, and why?
Old 13 Feb 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3801028)   #28
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
peebee- So, youíve nothing against the Editor. In which case, who exactly are you directing the harsh criticism shown in your posts at?
I guess it wasnít personal, more a general and disappointed gripe, but I think the publisher/editor-in-chief call the shots, which isnít Kevin.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3801029)   #29
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
for those of us who know nothing of PR / press / media, how about you try to expand the above so we can understand what you mean, and why?
If I wanted press releases, Iíd just get on their lists. Good journalists, like Marcus Simmons for example, will dig below the bs and find the proper story, and then present it truthfully without offending the people in the team. Generally it turns out to be the opposite of the PR was portraying...
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:04 (Ref:3801047)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
i feel that may be a case of F1 reporting overall rather then just an issue with the Z.Brown network.

as far as i can tell there is not much difference in the range of stories found on the ESPN F1 site(for example) vs autosport vs motorsport. and if it does seem Mclaren/Alonso heavy i am inclined to agree with Mike, that maybe Mclaren are just better at pushing their message then others.

one thing to add and this may be neither here nor there, but how has Ferrari's decision not to be as open with the media affected how F1 is reported?

all sites/publications seem to have a lack of Ferrari related articles/features/interviews which on the surface is strange given they are probably the most popular team in every market.