Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:20 (Ref:2783925)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Holly Birkett 6 Hour Relay Race - 30 October, 2010

Not a race for historics but a historic race, this was its 60th Anniversary, and, according to the programme its 28th running which confused me slightly; didn't realise that it had missed so many years! Anyway, it's a unique event since I know of no other that runs for 6 hours with teams of up to 6 cars and allows such variety of steeds. A record entry of 61 teams means that number of cars on the track almost all the time since, even with car attrition the teams can send out another car to replace the failed one , whether mechanical or accident. So it's busy for the whole race, even on the GP circuit. The handicap win is more important than the scratch win really. There were quite a few old cars in this race which was dominated numerically by Caterhams and similar machinery, but there was one genuinely historic Lotus team called Chapmans Chariots composed of orgninal Sevens. The Harrow Car Club was mainly constituted of older cars and there was a smattering of other older machinery in other teams. So here a few a few posts of pics:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5922wb.jpg   IMG_6080wb.jpg   IMG_6255wb.jpg  

IMG_6291wb.jpg   IMG_6460wb.jpg   IMG_6491wb.jpg  

Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:25 (Ref:2783927)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6500wb.jpg   IMG_6560wb.jpg   IMG_6646wb.jpg  

IMG_6703wb.jpg   IMG_6759wb.jpg   IMG_6834wb.jpg  

Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:32 (Ref:2783932)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6871wb.jpg   IMG_7000wb.jpg   IMG_7020wb.jpg  

IMG_7367wb.jpg   IMG_7397wb.jpg   IMG_7444wb.jpg  

Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:33 (Ref:2783933)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John,

What circuit were they using?
Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:37 (Ref:2783935)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7518wb.jpg   IMG_7529wb.jpg   IMG_7570wb.jpg  

IMG_7571wb.jpg   IMG_7725wb.jpg   IMG_7775wb.jpg  

Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:40 (Ref:2783936)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
John,

What circuit were they using?
Pretty much the old GP Circuit, Peter. They cut out the chicane at Vale but kept the one at Abbey, through to Bridge. None of the new sections used at all as far as I could tell.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:48 (Ref:2783937)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, I wondered, because it said Bridge Circuit on the results sheet that Tim Falce posted.

Thanks
Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2783938)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7839wb.jpg   IMG_7988wb.jpg   IMG_8020wb.jpg  

IMG_8032wb.jpg   IMG_8047wb.jpg   IMG_8448wb.jpg  

Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:58 (Ref:2783943)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well that's my lot of those that were obviously older but I'm afraid that cars like Sylva Phoenix, Cyanas, Eclipse, Fisher Fury and Darvis are a bit of a mystery to me so they could be pretty old too. So if anyone interested in telling us about them and how old, I'm prepared to post some pics of them, too. I'll also post a few general pics up later to give an idea of the filed and atmosphere that attend this event. We had mainly bright weather but a heavy shower too about two thirds of the way through, so in all, quite an event.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2783986)   #10
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi John, if you look closely at my car - black XJS no 34 you will see what I believe to be the first showng of the new 360 Motor Racing Club sticker just in front of the rear wheel as lovingly applied by Al Weyman!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7367wb.jpg  

Last edited by Cliff Ryan; 2 Nov 2010 at 12:22. Reason: Add photo
Old 2 Nov 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2784015)   #11
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good pics! - any of green/yellow Caterham 15A (out 11:15 - 12:30)?
Old 2 Nov 2010, 15:56 (Ref:2784070)   #12
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Nice to see two pics of John Pringle, Lotus Seven S4 (no. 12D I think)

Yes, the Chapmans Chariots have been entering six Lotus Sevens in the Birkett for around 15 years. Remarkably for the last two years we have ended up with all six still running reasonably well - in fact John Muirhead (12A) went to Donington the next day to race with CSCC and won!

Almost all the team are called John (except Andy Shepherd and Ian Chalmers), and two also have sons called John as well! They are:

John Muirhead
John Rees
John Hutchison
John Pringle
Honorary John (Andy) Shepherd
Honorary John (Ian) Chalmers

We always meet at the Green Man (but diverted this year) on Friday to talk tactics, and on Saturday to talk until the bar closes! It's the only time each year that we all get together and we love it. It was a great race this year and thanks to Robin and Kathleen and all the race staff & marshals

And maybe one day we'll work out how the handicapping works - we once got 2nd in class!
Old 2 Nov 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2784076)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Hi John, if you look closely at my car - black XJS no 34 you will see what I believe to be the first showng of the new 360 Motor Racing Club sticker just in front of the rear wheel as lovingly applied by Al Weyman!
Blimey you have good eyesight to spot that Cliff! Tis true Claire now has a good batch of 360 stickers and very nice they are too if I may say so!
Old 2 Nov 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2784081)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueWench View Post
..... - in fact John Muirhead (12A) went to Donington the next day to race with CSCC and won!
Now I've seen JT's photos I recognise quite a few cars that were at Donington the next day. Good show!
Old 2 Nov 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2784154)   #15
OldSinger
Rookie

OldSinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to the race for the first time this year to give some moral support to a friend trying the race for the first time (Pesky Imps – came an excellent 16th). It was good to see such variety. The rain certainly livened the race up for the spectators and I guess the drivers as well. BMW 31a looked like he was having a great time driving round Luffield in the wet near the end of the race.

With the variety of cars, the GP circuit and a long race I took the opportunity to roam around and take some photos. Here are a few, all going right to left! I should try and find somewhere infield to make a change. Not all historic but great to see and hear them all racing on the track together.
Attached Thumbnails
JPBIRKETT01.jpg   JPBIRKETT02.jpg   JPBIRKETT03.jpg  

JPBIRKETT04.jpg   JPBIRKETT05.jpg   JPBIRKETT06.jpg  

Old 2 Nov 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2784156)   #16
OldSinger
Rookie

OldSinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few more photos around the pits during the day. Does a BW conversion make them more historic :-)
Attached Thumbnails
JPBWBIRKETT01.jpg   JPBWBIRKETT02.jpg   JPBWBIRKETT03.jpg  

JPBWBIRKETT04.jpg   JPBWBIRKETT05.jpg   JPBWBIRKETT06.jpg  

Old 2 Nov 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2784175)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Good stuff; didn't think it would generate so much interest. B &W does lend a certain feel to it Old Singer. Will dig some more pics out, though they won't all be histos! Will look for the Caterham, 15A, Graeme.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 20:37 (Ref:2784187)   #18
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post

Well done Cliff fly the 360 flag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Blimey you have good eyesight to spot that Cliff! Tis true Claire now has a good batch of 360 stickers and very nice they are too if I may say so!
Yes I know a man who made them for me (thank you)
Old 2 Nov 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2784192)   #19
Si Frowen
Rookie

England
East Winch, Norfolk
Si Frowen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good snaps there! Difficult day on track for us (RAFMSA 609 Sqn - you have a pic of my teammate Bill's 205 on the previous page) but an entertaining (as always!) race

Frodo

41B Rover
Old 2 Nov 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2784194)   #20
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...though we do need some more start lights further back on the grid - on row 26 I just went when I saw half-a-dozen rows ahead go!
Old 2 Nov 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2784206)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Graeme, sorry but I think that I got trackside too late to capture you. More pics:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6153wb.jpg   IMG_6165wb.jpg   IMG_6363wb.jpg  

IMG_6470wb.jpg   IMG_6530wb.jpg   IMG_6531wb.jpg  

Old 2 Nov 2010, 21:33 (Ref:2784209)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6543wb.jpg   IMG_6568wb.jpg   IMG_6689wb.jpg  

IMG_6895wb.jpg   IMG_7059wb.jpg   IMG_7090wb.jpg  

Old 2 Nov 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2784210)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Last lot:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7129wb.jpg   IMG_7204wb.jpg   IMG_7296wb.jpg  

IMG_7427wb.jpg   IMG_7453wb.jpg   IMG_7707wb.jpg  

Old 3 Nov 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2784397)   #24
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a member of the Pesky Imps, I have to say that we had a great time in our first Birkett (though 1 team member had done it previously) and we had a very clean run - no mechanical issues and the logistics all worked out well. Though we were amongst the slower cars competing, there were plenty of a similar speed for us to race against whilst watching for the faster (sometimes much faster) traffic. A great event and we hope to be back.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2784479)   #25
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Second year in a row I've missed this. sadly family commitments (Father in Law Birthday) and politics make it ungetoutofable. Mebbe next year he'll pick the weekend following. Although that's Walter Hayes weekend!

I'm saddened that there are no Austin 7s these days. I remember it as a kid, and there were usually several teams of 7 derived cars. 3 years ago The Chain Gang were out in Frazer Nash's, but I think that was the last Pre-War team?

All lin all, thanks to John for the usual high quality pictures, and to all who took part, in or out of cars, in this uniquely British event.