Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Sep 2020, 09:36 (Ref:4002411)   #126
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
According to Ride with GPS it's a Category 4 climb - a mere pimple for a pro peleton rider but a significant effort for we mortals!
Hills? What hills? I don't recall driving up any.

Cycling terms;

Peleton; Tha main body of riders.

A break; A small group/or rider who race ahead of the Peleton;

Gruppetto; This mainly forms on mountain stages, when the 'sprinters' and slower riders form a large group behind the mountain goats and, ride at a pace designed to get to the finish before the time limit.

Domestic; A rider who's job is to look after a teams star riders. Making the pace for a short while, and fetching bottles from the team car etc.

We may meet all of these as we explore the event in detail.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 12:25 (Ref:4002435)   #127
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great to read everyone had fun, puffed and panted a bit, and then got fed and watered at Delta HQ. Oh and no-one got hurt beyond no doubt a few aches and pains today.
Im sure Mike was witnessing it from above with his famous smile prevalent.
Well done all. A fitting and well thought out tribute to everyone's friend..
Old 14 Sep 2020, 12:45 (Ref:4002439)   #128
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nobody has mentioned Mary Bell. I really hope she enjoyed the day, found some new friends & discovered in just how high an esteem we al held her brother - gone but not forgotten.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 12:50 (Ref:4002441)   #129
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
A very enjoyable ride in perfect weather through beautiful countryside. Interesting to see Bauble "the ladies man" in action.

The only real problem was poor Tom who had the misfortune to be accompanied by a wasp inside his T-shirt for a while, with painful consequences.

There seems to be a general feeling that we should do it again next year.

Oh - and John Emberson's Bianchi Oltre XR4 is literally my dream bike, right down to the SRAM wireless groupset.

Some of us have IT, Alan, and some can just stand and watch.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3407.JPG   IMG_3780 (2).JPG  
Old 14 Sep 2020, 12:54 (Ref:4002443)   #130
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Nobody has mentioned Mary Bell. I really hope she enjoyed the day, found some new friends & discovered in just how high an esteem we al held her brother - gone but not forgotten.
Ahem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Great to talk to Mary and Dave,
Old 14 Sep 2020, 13:26 (Ref:4002447)   #131
bauble
Veteran

England
Peter, this may answer both of your questions;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TZXtwZwSgUVD1Yt99

I thought you did very well, on a bike that you did not look comfortable on, I was impressed with your performance on the rises around the course.
Mike would have been cheering you on I'm sure.

PS You may ignore the motto at he bottom of the page. It does not apply.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 13:36 (Ref:4002449)   #132
bauble
Veteran

England
Peter O's great photos from Sunday;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K7ssSkBnmGL7jTQHA
Old 14 Sep 2020, 16:04 (Ref:4002470)   #133
bauble
Veteran

England
The ride was not a competitive event, so there would be no sense in having a trophy, for instance, however, as a non-participant, I think that it would be nice to have a medal that would act as a souvenir. for all entrants, and it might help motivate people to ride again next year. It might also attract more entries. Nothing like 'winning' a medal to fire people up.
A quick Google gives a suitable medal with a cyclist on the front, and up to 40 characters engraves on the back costing £2.50, and no doubt thee are some here who could do better than that.
I would be very proud if I had such a memento of Mike.

Maybe next year.

Charging an entry fee to cover the costs might also encourage people to turn up, and actually ride.

Just my pesonal thoughts.

OOH! Wearing my medals would really attract the babe's
Old 14 Sep 2020, 16:06 (Ref:4002471)   #134
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both great albums reflecting a very enjoyable day and yes I did feel as uncomfortable as I looked!
Old 14 Sep 2020, 16:18 (Ref:4002472)   #135
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes great pictures Bob. Cliff I tried to give you a draft.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 16:52 (Ref:4002476)   #136
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That hill!
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200914-172047_Fitbit.jpg  
Old 14 Sep 2020, 16:57 (Ref:4002479)   #137
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes great pictures Bob. Cliff I tried to give you a draft.
Yes you did, but I won't put my response in writing
Old 14 Sep 2020, 17:00 (Ref:4002480)   #138
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Peter, this may answer both of your questions;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TZXtwZwSgUVD1Yt99

I thought you did very well, on a bike that you did not look comfortable on, I was impressed with your performance on the rises around the course.
Mike would have been cheering you on I'm sure.

PS You may ignore the motto at he bottom of the page. It does not apply.
Great pictures!
Old 14 Sep 2020, 19:09 (Ref:4002497)   #139
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lost shoes Bike ride.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	64083
Own up who has lost these ?. Thanks Peter and Bob for wonderful photos. I love the one of me stuffing down a bacon roll with Delta Dog "Mylo" looking up anxiously.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 19:49 (Ref:4002500)   #140
Mary Bell
Rookie

Mary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a beautiful day it was yesterday and I know Mike was watching down and beaming. Thank you for the idea and all the support given to the ride and ..... well just everything. It was truly wonderful to meet you all, thanks Iain and family for hosting this first event and Alan for planning the route and as David the real Dave suggested why not come our way next, there wont be cars to look at but there is agricultural kit, some also historic. Just needed to be guided by you guys for the best race free... is that possible... weekend. David thought about laying on a tractor and trailer to get us up Combe Hill

Oh I think those are Daniels
Old 15 Sep 2020, 15:34 (Ref:4002616)   #141
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Yes they are Daniel’s - I’ve given him your number Iain
Old 11 Oct 2020, 15:09 (Ref:4009855)   #142
bauble
Veteran

England
bikes

If you plan to ride the memorial tour next year, you might want one of these!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/16415298306...99b2884e26c70eA bicycle
Old 12 Oct 2020, 06:27 (Ref:4010062)   #143
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is the most expensive bike I've ever seen. For that money I'd expect a top rider to pedal it for me!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Oct 2020, 07:39 (Ref:4010072)   #144
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nuffield Hill wouldn't be a lot of fun with that gearing!
Old 12 Oct 2020, 15:21 (Ref:4010170)   #145
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

I'm going to get an electric bike like MGDavid's
Old 12 Oct 2020, 15:30 (Ref:4010172)   #146
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Electric bikes are the way to go, lot less hard work.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 20:49 (Ref:4010220)   #147
bauble
Veteran

England
For those who made the ride, it might be worth ordering the November edition of MOG magazine as it carries a report (with pictures) of the event.
Old 3 Jul 2021, 10:40 (Ref:4059527)   #148
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Soo, we can start a new thread but what thoughts on a 2021 version?
Old 3 Jul 2021, 13:24 (Ref:4059561)   #149
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Soo, we can start a new thread but what thoughts on a 2021 version?
Maybe watching the Tour might give a little motivation.
Old 3 Jul 2021, 13:55 (Ref:4059569)   #150
bauble
Veteran

England
Peter, as someone who will not be entering given my current state of health, I hesitate (Yeah! Yeah!) to stick my nose in, but I suggest that if you float the idea as a separate thread, The Mike Bell Memorial Bike Ride (?), and see what interest there is, then a suitable venue could be chosen to suit the entrants locations.

I would certainly hope to turn up with a camera and pencil.

Bob