Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Aug 2001, 14:27 (Ref:134263)   #1
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some questions from a CART newbie

Yes, I meant to post this in the F1 forum!

I've never really watched CART at all. Too many blokes going round in circles all the time makes me dizzy. However, Channel 5 was showing the race from Road America on Monday night, and I figured as this was something like what I knew (ie a track which turned right as well as left) I should give it a go.

And all I can say is that Eckhart Lake is one of the most beautiful circuits I've seen, and that if F1 is going to have a good USA GP, that's where they should be running it!

Is there someone in here who can tell me if F1 cars have ever run there, and if not, what the reason is, and whether or not it's suitable to hold a GP. I don't even know where it is, so I guess it could be out in the middle of nowhere, or have no infastructure, or whatever. But this seemed like the best place to ask
Old 22 Aug 2001, 14:39 (Ref:134266)   #2
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Some questions from a CART newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC
Is there someone in here who can tell me if F1 cars have ever run there, and if not, what the reason is, and whether or not it's suitable to hold a GP.
I don't think that they have ever raced there - Some of our more senior members will be able to confirm it...

I saw that race - That under water bit of the track should be made permanent!
Old 22 Aug 2001, 14:46 (Ref:134267)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elkhart Lake is in Wisconsin, west of Chicago.

F1 cars have never run there, unless Pete Lovely took the 49 out some time...
Old 22 Aug 2001, 15:00 (Ref:134270)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Road America was never in consideration as an F1 venue because it is too far removed from any major city and the conveniences that the modern F1 driver requires. I for one cannot see F1 PR people treating their sponsors to a grilled bratwurst on a bun when they want 5 star restaurants and hotels and there are none anywhere near the circuit. The circuit is a great one, a true driver's circuit with challenging corners, elevation changes, and great speed and a wide line for loads of racing.
Old 22 Aug 2001, 15:10 (Ref:134271)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Some questions from a CART newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC
And all I can say is that Eckhart Lake is one of the most beautiful circuits I've seen
You're right on the money, Michael. Beautiful is the word. Couldn't have said it better. Elkhart Lake is IMO the best track in the world together with Spa. (In fact, Jacques Villeneuve, when he arrived in F1, said that Spa was the F1 equivalent of Elkhart Lake.)

As to F1 cars running at Elkhart Lake - there's a stupid rule somewhere saying that F1 cars and Champ Cars aren't allowed to run on the same circuits, isn't there?
Old 22 Aug 2001, 15:44 (Ref:134285)   #6
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YEAH!!! road america is a stunner!I first saw it 4 years ago and ALLWAYS thought they should have F1 there.-'course that won't happen just because of one man.....
Old 22 Aug 2001, 16:02 (Ref:134292)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Some questions from a CART newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by R
As to F1 cars running at Elkhart Lake - there's a stupid rule somewhere saying that F1 cars and Champ Cars aren't allowed to run on the same circuits, isn't there?
Yes R, you're right. There's an agreement between CART and FIA, wich rules that they can't run on same circuits. I guess Bernie wanted to avoid embarassing comparisions... altough I think there's no problem with that... But my thoughts don't count !
Old 22 Aug 2001, 16:23 (Ref:134301)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yet they are both supposed to run on the Montreal circuit next year...not sure what changes they'll make (or what they can do, it's a small island..)

I agree, Elkhart Lake is a very beautiful circuit, and would look great if cleaned up for an F1 race, but as KC said, it is located in the middle of nowhere, there is no good transportaion, and few hotels or restaurants anywhere near the ciruit. Too bad...would've been like Spa2. hehe..
Old 22 Aug 2001, 16:51 (Ref:134315)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That rule was repealed in the EU v. Bernie proceedings, so now they can run on the same tracks. Not at the same time though.

Among other things lacking at Road America that have already been mentioned is a state of the art medical facility; and the track is too long for modern F1 safety standards. Also I think the nearest major hospital is too far away, even by air.

Same problems as Mosport. But Road America would make a heck of a sports car track, does ALMS think of running there?
Old 22 Aug 2001, 17:30 (Ref:134342)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its an amazing track-and I dream of getting there some day.

Ray, its actually NORTH of Chicago, by about 3 hours. Its only an hour from Milwaukee, a fairly large city and just east of Osh-Kosh, Wisconsin,(for all you wearers of overalls).

Its pretty close to Lake Michigan as well.

I know that our friend Neil C raced there back in his FFord days, I hope he checks in.

As a venue, its not much more remote from facilities than some other tracks, but I fear that upgrading its safty features would be terriblety expensive.
Old 22 Aug 2001, 19:46 (Ref:134442)   #11
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
yet they are both supposed to run on the Montreal circuit next year...not sure what changes they'll make (or what they can do, it's a small island..)
They don't have to do much at all. Suppose they make the track 1cm wider in one spot. It's not exactly a huge difference, but the track has technically been "modified".