Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Nov 2019, 20:26 (Ref:3941676)   #51
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yeah, but it was quite a stroke wasn't it when Ken came out of the hotel to see Eric still out after a night on the tiles!
And we went to the "Mulligan" to have a drink before to go for the meeting with matt

Envoyé de mon SM-A600FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 20 Nov 2019, 01:50 (Ref:3941699)   #52
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Went to see it last night. I have to say its a pretty good movie. Not the best, not the worst. As has been said we can pick holes in the movie quite easily. My biggest gripes are:
1: Hollywood's compulsion to show gear changes and pushing the accelerator harder when already flat out on a straight to make the car leap forward (Not contained to just this movie)
2: There was one bit in the development when I heard someone say 'disconnect the vacuum secondaries on the Holley Carb' WTF on a GT40 ???
3: Some of the racing scenes looked a bit scalectrixy
Old 20 Nov 2019, 10:06 (Ref:3941736)   #53
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yeah, but it was quite a stroke wasn't it when Ken came out of the hotel to see Eric still out after a night on the tiles!
I could not unsee/unthink this one, when that scene came up
Old 20 Nov 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3941749)   #54
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
I could not unsee/unthink this one, when that scene came up
Did it ruin the film or was it just you missed that part of the story as you searched the back ground scenes for a drunken frenchman. Not sure how much of the film was actually taken in or at le mans.
Old 20 Nov 2019, 12:03 (Ref:3941751)   #55
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Not sure how much of the film was actually taken in or at le mans.
Well the Cathedrale bit was shot at Le Mans, https://www.facebook.com/tourisme.le...57715468142720
But not much else, I think. Did not get the circuit vibe while looking at the race scenes.
Old 20 Nov 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3941764)   #56
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I too was looking for shots that were likely taken in Le Mans, I also agree that it seems almost certain that the cathedral shot was the only one.

The comment about how long it would have taken Ken Miles to walk from the cathedral to the circuit reminded me of another movie where this happened. I had just returned from a trip to Singapore and watched Crazy Rich Asians with the wife. There was a scene where a character just casually walked from Orchard Road/Newton Circus area to Sentosa Island. Made me laugh as that would have taken all night, similar to Miles' walk.
Old 20 Nov 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3941766)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He would have got seriously wet too.
Old 20 Nov 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3941772)   #58
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I was wondering while watching how many of the Cobras and GT40s used in the film were originals. According to a small piece in Classic Car Weekly today, Superformance provided several replicas for the film makers. So I’m now wondering which cars were the ‘fakes’ and which were the ‘real’.....
Old 20 Nov 2019, 14:33 (Ref:3941773)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There were also some Ford GTs masquerading as GT40s.
Old 20 Nov 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3941780)   #60
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I too was looking for shots that were likely taken in Le Mans, I also agree that it seems almost certain that the cathedral shot was the only one.

The comment about how long it would have taken Ken Miles to walk from the cathedral to the circuit reminded me of another movie where this happened. I had just returned from a trip to Singapore and watched Crazy Rich Asians with the wife. There was a scene where a character just casually walked from Orchard Road/Newton Circus area to Sentosa Island. Made me laugh as that would have taken all night, similar to Miles' walk.
Do not forget Ben Stiller's extreme skateboarding trip through Iceland in The secret life of Walter Mitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I was wondering while watching how many of the Cobras and GT40s used in the film were originals. According to a small piece in Classic Car Weekly today, Superformance provided several replicas for the film makers. So I’m now wondering which cars were the ‘fakes’ and which were the ‘real’.....
Well the amount of Porsche 906 rear ends was also quite high, compared to how few there were, compared to Ferraris and especially GT40's which entered the race:
https://www.racingsportscars.com/pho...966-06-19.html
Old 20 Nov 2019, 22:02 (Ref:3941834)   #61
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Got the tickets booked for next Wednesday
Old 21 Nov 2019, 20:18 (Ref:3942000)   #62
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Did it ruin the film or was it just you missed that part of the story as you searched the back ground scenes for a drunken frenchman. Not sure how much of the film was actually taken in or at le mans.
The background scenes for a .........................what?
Old 21 Nov 2019, 23:00 (Ref:3942030)   #63
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Finally went to see the film, I liked it but was not very impressed but have to say stil enjoyed it.
It stirred my soul and gave me goosebumps the moment the start of the race was on and the finish gave me wet eyes. Not unusual for me because the real race does the same for me.
Should they show it at Le Mans this year I would not hessitate to go and see it again.
They probably will cut out the scene with the drunk frenceman though. (very stigmatizing..... All frence are drunks..... &#128513
Old 22 Nov 2019, 14:01 (Ref:3942144)   #64
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Saw it last night with wife and non-car friends. We all enjoyed it. None of the racing cliches really made me eye-roll too hard, I was busy just enjoying the sounds and visuals of racing cars moving along.

I feel like knowing what I know as a sportscar fan, there was very little of Ford vs. Ferrari, and more of Ford vs. Shelby/Miles. Seriously the main antagonist was Ford Marketing exec Beebe.It was still an enjoyable story even if it was 1,000% accurate. The environment of Le Mans in the 60s made up for it. It could truthfully make up for a lot more historical liberties.

My wife kept bugging me "who dies?" throughout the movie, I guess it was that obvious. And it was difficult not to see it as another Ford propaganda piece like "24 Hour War." Either way, I'll probably add it to my list of things to watch in the lead up to Le Mans every year.
Old 27 Nov 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3943286)   #65
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Went to see it tonight and very much enjoyed it as did my non motorsport wife.

The race scenes do not appear to be made anywhere near France.
Old 27 Nov 2019, 23:37 (Ref:3943290)   #66
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just seen it myself and I really enjoyed. Enough to please both the enthusiast and the casual viewer

Great storyline, inspired casting and some great acting. Not to mention a good mix of drama, emotion and humour

Best thing about seeing it in the cinema is the sound
Old 28 Nov 2019, 06:52 (Ref:3943321)   #67
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Went to see it tonight and very much enjoyed it as did my non motorsport wife.

The race scenes do not appear to be made anywhere near France.
Thing mentioned earlier in this thread, but all the race scenes were done in the US. The Mulsanne straight was a tree lined piece of road in Georgia.... Only the Le Mans town shots done at LM!

Last month’s (dec) Motorsport has a good read by Derek Hill, who was part of the (stunt) driving team.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 07:26 (Ref:3943322)   #68
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
As everyone on here knows the mulsanne is public a public road so it would be impossible to film there unless the road was closed, which it is for the race, test day and practice. Not sure the locals would be happy closing it for filming.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 08:12 (Ref:3943329)   #69
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
I went to see it last night, as a sportscar fan and Le mans addict I liked it, sure some things are not as it used to be but still a very good movie.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 09:57 (Ref:3943348)   #70
S griffin
Veteran

I did do a fact check on the Le Mans 66 after seeing it and there is a quite a bit on there that is true.

Another reason they couldn't film on the Mulsanne is they would have to miss out the chicanes...
Old 28 Nov 2019, 11:48 (Ref:3943370)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I did do a fact check on the Le Mans 66 after seeing it and there is a quite a bit on there that is true.

Another reason they couldn't film on the Mulsanne is they would have to miss out the chicanes...
The chicanes aren’t in use when the road is open to normal traffic, of course, but they are visible. They could have got over that.

I’m sure the reason is as stated by GT6, and cost saving! I also think in the USA it is easier to get a road closed for ‘other’ use?
Old 28 Nov 2019, 13:01 (Ref:3943384)   #72
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I think the locals and local businesses are ok with the road being closed for 1 day of testing, 4 days for race/qualy and a few days every other year for the classic, but closing it for an american film crew might just be a step to far.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 13:46 (Ref:3943392)   #73
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the locals and local businesses are ok with the road being closed for 1 day of testing, 4 days for race/qualy and a few days every other year for the classic, but closing it for an american film crew might just be a step to far.
And presumably the film was shot and produced in the USA, so maybe not so good to transport everyone to Europe for just a few minutes of final film?
Old 28 Nov 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3943450)   #74
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was several years ago when we had the film producers contact us about hiring some cars for filming at Le Mans . [ I help build the cars in this link ]
http://www.asmotorsport.co.uk/
Which were for filming scenes from the 59 Le Mans race , so the plan was to do some filming from the circuit .

But the original film , called " Go Like Hell " , with Tom Cruise & Brad Pitt , fell through . Possibly not enough money from the Hollywood backers as the real story was not American enough with the 1966 winning GT40 being UK designed & built .
So it seems that they had to invent an all American success story to get the money to make the film .

I was looking forward to a run down to Le Mans with a couple of cars for a few days but that might have been too costly to do the filming there .
Old 30 Nov 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3943846)   #75
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Overall it was great. Some racing scenes were disappointing, but whatever.

I loved Tracy Letts as Henry Ford II. Here's a delightful article by the Detroit Free Press about it: https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...on/4225274002/